Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:12 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, you are better off using the Niche ratings.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ls/s/illinois/
I'm not too familiar with the niche rankings. I'd suggest looking at the Illinois Report Card website for the raw stats as others here had referred to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, you are better off using the Niche ratings.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ls/s/illinois/
The problem with niche is they appear to penalize based on lack of diversity. Silly.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM

41 posts, read 54,952 times
Thanks for the discussion so far. As it relates to school ratings, I'm not sure why anyone would want to rely on "expert" ranking systems who use arbitrary criteria in their point system. I think everyone should develop their own criteria based on the needs and path of their children. I don't personally have kids yet, but these are the criteria I use when evaluating public schools: 1) breakdown of ACT scores, 2) colleges students attend (I specifically look at if the school is a good feeder into UIUC and if any kids whatsoever get into Ivy's. I don't particularly care for Ivy's - it's just more of a data point to get a sense of the student body), 3) Other less important factors (i.e. % of students in AP classes, level of instruction in computers, etc.)

My personal take is that there are good value areas where the high school's have average ACT scores of around ~25 or so. Once you get into areas where the ACT averages jump to ~28 or so, the house prices and taxes become pretty expensive, the level of competition in the schools spike, and the areas in general are known for trying to 'Keep up with the the Jones.' I personally went to a school where the average ACT was around 22-23; at this scoring level, approximately half of the students seemed disinterested in academics as they were planning on becoming fireman or other city workers (not that there is anything wrong with that path).

Before anyone criticizes the above, I'm well aware that there are limitations with my approach and it is extremely biased based on my experiences. I'm also aware there are exceptions to my sweeping generalizations.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Parts of West Chicago that are served by St. Charles have long been one of the "little secret" for folks who like the access to DuPage and Kane Counties Forest Preserves, easy commute to Fermi Lab and the more respected schools of St. Charles at a nice price of entry...
Welp, guess I let the cat out of the bag...

Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
I would avoid Plainfield. The property taxes are exorbitant, and when you add them to the home prices, you might as well live in a middle-of-the-road Naperville neighborhood, where you have better schools and better access to everything.

Lisle was my instant reaction, and I see that is true of others.

While We-Go is improving (I mean it had one direction it could go), it is surrounded by so many other better towns that it will likely always have "that" reputation. The high school is woefully uncompetitive in athletics, to the point it's a joke when they are on the schedule. So if you do live there, aim for those areas feeding into other high schools if you can.

I hope Westmont gets there. Again bordered by a couple of nicer towns and a bit "rougher", but the location is excellent.

Roselle was a good suggestion, as is Bloomingdale, right next to it.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Reading through this, it seems that every suburb from LG to Naperville (on the BNSF) is either desirable or underrated. Is that the consensus? Is it the same for other Metra lines?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
While We-Go is improving (I mean it had one direction it could go), it is surrounded by so many other better towns that it will likely always have "that" reputation. The high school is woefully uncompetitive in athletics, to the point it's a joke when they are on the schedule. So if you do live there, aim for those areas feeding into other high schools if you can.
I was under the impression they had a decent swim and wrestling team?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 21,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

I hope Westmont gets there. Again bordered by a couple of nicer towns and a bit "rougher", but the location is excellent.
Westmont is bordered by rougher towns? Darien? Please share. Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, Downers Grove do not seem that rough to me, nor does Darien.

Forgot to add, Willowbrook - maybe that is the rougher location.

Edit Again - Oak Brook, La Grange, Western Springs - the dens of inequity.

Last edited by ABUV; 09-21-2017 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Updating more locations.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Sounds like he is saying Westmont is a bit "rougher" than the towns that surround it, which is true. It's not really rough, but it may seem so by comparison to Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills and Oak Brook.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Well, how far back do you want to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Sounds like he is saying Westmont is a bit "rougher" than the towns that surround it, which is true. It's not really rough, but it may seem so by comparison to Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills and Oak Brook.
The old timers that make me look like a kid remember that back when Prohibition was repealed Westmont was quick to openly embrace the sales of liquor and that earned it the nickname of "WET-mont"...

Several other towns hung on to various restrictions well into the 1980s or later, Hinsdale and other towns tried to ensure that all the places that served / sold even wine were primarily "eating establishments" but since wine is now a big high profile business there are several shops in town.

Willowbrook is not "rougher" by any stretch, if anything the pressure for home builders to construct larger homes is attracting folks priced out of Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale. Once upon a time Willowbrook was kind of a town that "time forgot" with a sad shuttered K-Mart across from a bowling alley that Ditka was a partner in prior to coming into fame as the Bear's Superbowl coach. There just not much else for decades. They've replaced that site with a shiny new Pete's Fresh Market and an entire complement of nicer quick service restaurants that attract crowds from all the nearby areas. While it is not a desirable as towns along the BNSF there are lots of pluses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs