Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 745 times

Advertisements

Hello,
First thread here.

I'd appreciate City Data's help in my apartment search.

So, I live in DeKalb currently because of work but just got transferred to the tri-cities. I am starting grad school at Loyola WTC in the Spring and need to figure out my living situation because my entire social life is and, now school life will be, in the city, and while I love long drives, the rush hour traffic adds 25 minutes onto the usual 1:05 drive from DeKalb. I could live in Saint Charles for proximity to work (IMHO Geneva is too snooty and Batavia seems a little old and sleepy and I am not moving to from DeKalb to Elgin, trading one dump for another). I've lived in the city twice and am from Naperville. Family all over the suburbs.

Really, anything is fair game for me as long as it's east of Randall Road. And I would prefer to avoid the Ike at all costs but I'm not sure that's possible LOL.

Here's my ideas:

1) Sell my car and Live at Loyola's Water Tower dorms and take the Metra (1 hour) from OTC to Geneva. I'd have to get up an hour early and get home an hour later, but I don't think I'd mind that.

2) I love driving, so an hour drive would be enjoyable. I'm thinking of living in Lombard/Villa Park and driving to work every day (take 64 or Roosevelt) but the problem is going from St. Charles to Loyola to make it to class by 6:00pm. Worst timing possible! I'd have to leave at 3:30 at the latest.

Basically, I can do rent for about a 1000-1400 on my own or 2000 with a roommate. Any chance I can get to St. Charles within an hour in the morning and Water Tower Place within an ~1:30. I'd move to Oak Park or somewhere along the metra, even Berkley/Bellwood. I don't care. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,020 times
Ok, just so we are clear....

You now work in STC during the day and you need to get to the city at night for class? Is that every night?

I love to drive too but travelling to the city during rush hour is not driving....its sitting. So annoying and more so if you like to drive because you can never get anywhere!

Any chance you can take the train to and from the city after work? I know the schedules are not as convenient because it is the reverse commute but that would be better than driving. Then you could live and work in STC and take the train into the city and back home after class.

Other than that....your option 1 is probably the best because you can just stay in the city after class and not have to deal with all the back and forth. Plus you said that is where your social life is anyway.

Personally working in STC and having to go to class in the city would make me crazy but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs