Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:36 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Agree about Naperville and Wheaton. Not sure why those would ever be mentioned as "reasonable commute to O'Hare".
Naperville to O'Hare is an hour, not that unreasonable. It also has the Metra into downtown, very reasonable. Naperville was also voted the 2nd best place to live and raise a family in America. They were ranked #1 in the past.

Naperville ranked 2nd best city to live in America - Naperville Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM

31 posts, read 46,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Naperville to O'Hare is an hour, not that unreasonable. It also has the Metra into downtown, very reasonable. Naperville was also voted the 2nd best place to live and raise a family in America. They were ranked #1 in the past.

Without kids, it doesn't seem to make sense for the OP to consider Naperville given the other criteria listed. Naperville holds it's value due to the schools and town center, but there are equally as nice (and arguably nicer) areas closer to the city and O'hare as others have listed.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Agreed, Barrington may be an exception as it's tradition and reputation can likely carry the torch. Folks that work along 90 will always think of Barrington as a strong option to reside.

To the original point, however, in northern cities like Chicago/NY/Boston etc., the next generation of prospective home buyers want to be close to the city. The caramel macchiato lattes, authentic mexican restaraunts, and pilates classes are harder to come by as you move to the outer ring. Sounds like i'm being facetious, but modern conveniences and walk-ability are becoming more important than a big back yard.

The trend is not specific to Chicago, but if I'm getting ready to buy a house, I'm looking for a blend of conveniences, proximity to the city, and transportation.
There are three kinds of areas that are growing in value: inner cities, high-income inner-ring suburbs, and edge cities. Of these, the last gets the least amount of publicity but is probably the most reliable for real estate investing, because the political considerations that determine the future of urban investing are not as important there.

See https://www.amazon.com/Edge-City-Fro.../dp/0385424345 The book is 25 years old but the idea is still current. The I-88 corridor is the quintessential edge city with the I-90 corridor a little less so (because it is less dense).

Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Is that really that stigmatized? I grew up in the city and I've never noticed. I don't mind it; I like affectionate nicknames. Doesn't Kanye West (also from here) use it?
Why would anyone model their behavior after Kanye West?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

-I would guess 2/3 of the suburbs in the region allow for an hour or less commute to O'Hare if it's not rush hour. They never defined "reasonable" though, but in summary there's closer suburbs.
-There's several other suburbs that are a better fit than Naperville for this person based on the criteria they provided.
-They never mentioned raising a family or schools.
-I live in Naperville. My tunnel vision is set to "OFF". I am suggesting they look elsewhere.
-I struggle to find the appeal of Naperville for someone not from the Naperville area for this situation if there's no kids and schools aren't relevant.

That being said, you can get more house for your money and your purchase can go a bit further than some other suburbs as property taxes tend to be lower in Naperville than many other suburbs I've seen, but those don't appear to be criteria they're looking at. These answer questions that were never asked.

Going back to my suggestions - Park Ridge and Mt. Prospect. Metra express trains are comparable to Naperville. Non-express trains are faster than Naperville. Driving downtown may be comparable on the expressways in bad traffic. It's highly likely you can find faster routes from those towns to/from the Loop if you don't take the expressways. With no traffic, Park Ridge and Mt. Prospect are a shorter driving commute to downtown. There's others named in this thread that also better meet the OP's criteria, including La Grange, La Grange Park, Western Springs, Elmhurst, or maybe not mentioned (Glenview, Northbrook, Arlington Heights). Edison Park and Norwood Park neighborhoods in Chicago may also meet this criteria. Some of these, like Glenview or Northbrook, may be less appealing if the OP needs to go to the Loop 5 days a week as the express trains are a bit slower.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:53 PM

222 posts, read 194,699 times
Naperville is easily and by far the best suburb and it is number one on a lot of list Nationwide. One if my favorite things in Naperville is the praire preserve it is beautiful and has a long path.

I grew up in Bolingbrook and left the SW burbs because I wanted change but I know Naperville is the best of everything no argument hands down.

I kind if view naperview even as a metropolton area where it's nieghbirs on the fringe are good to like the part of Bolingbrook right next to Naperville is nice and Lisle close to Naperville is nice Wheaton close to Naperville nice and Naperville is the epacenter

Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

45 posts, read 151,226 times
if you want something easy to sell, then save money by buying a cheaper home in the south suburbs.

less financial commitment for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs