Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've lived in the south west suburbs my whole life (Orland Park/Lockport/Homer Glen), currently reside in Lemont.

I work in Hillside/Westchester and it's nearly a 45 minute drive. I'd like to relocate somewhere closer. I'm looking at places like Hillside, Westchester, Bellwood, Broadview, Berkeley, Villa Park, Elmhurst, etc.

We are considering buying versus renting. The bf and I are 22 and have a big dog (but she's used to apartment life). Not considering kids for at least another 8+ years. Budget 150-220k. I've found houses in the Bellwood/Melrose Park/Maywood area in that price range that have been completely rehabbed and I'm very tempted to go that route versus buying a house sub 150k that's going to need major renovations and updating.

I'm also concerned with safety and crime in the area. Where I'm from it's pretty non-existent. I don't want to be living in a very bad area where I'll be paranoid 24/7, that's why Melrose Park/Maywood and bordering towns are scaring me off a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
If you're buying, try looking at North Riverside too. If you're renting, without having to worry about schools, Westchester may be the safest compared to Bellwood, Broadview and Melrose Park. If you're buying in the Proviso school district, resale value will be an issue.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I'd stick with Westchester. You might also want to look at North Riverside, Berwyn, Forest Park, etc. not that far away from where you work. Better than Maywood or Melrose Park.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you have the ability at this stage in your life to DIY some of the things it absolutely makes sense to get a fixer-up in a nicer town like Elmhurst. The odds of places in the other towns doing other than being, at best, stagnant would be a losing proposition. Even for folks w/o kids the downside of having neighbors whose kids go to horrible schools are enormous.

If the options in Elmhurst are too pricey / require more than DIY type fix-ups the next logical town to consider would be Villa Park. Brookfield is a pretty solid option too. That is still a much better commute to Westchester than OP's current location in Lemont.

I'd rate towns like Lombard over Westchester. Lombard has pretty good housing now and the general trend is upward; in contrast the negatives of Proviso West are not improving, pulling down prospects in Hillside and Westchester. Bellwood, Broadview, and Berkley are dying towns that despite some flipper activity are unlikely to do anything other than follow the decline of towns like Worth, Alsip, Crestwood, Midlothian, Posen, Thornton and other areas with decimated industrial base...

Any foolish folks who can set aside their biases about what constitutes "upscale" communities and objectively looks at the concentration of folks with decent income in towns with nicer amenities should realize there is a stark contrast with communities that are largely segregated by those with no prospects for good jobs...

Old 12-30-2017, 10:00 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I second what Chet is saying. Go for a good town, even if you have to do some fixing. That's just a better investment. What about something like this:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Elmhurst/8.../home/18096177
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs