Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:42 PM

82 posts, read 91,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Just because you saw religious items at a garage sale? Really??? Crazy. I know there are religious people that live here. But mostly, they blend into the woodwork and you don't notice them.
You’re making a lot of assumptions here. I am a Christian. I didn’t feel u comfortable because they had a cross or praying hands. There are a ton of “Christian” items that would make other Christians uncomfortable.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I know, right? What if they had muslim or hindu items at a garage sale? Would that be equally as "creepy"? I highly doubt it... something about Christ that is so offensive to people... things that make you go hmmmmmm
I am not offended by Christ. I am a practicing Christian. But you have failed to recognize that there are many different kinds of Christians and many degrees of intensity to certain beliefs within the religion. Christians are a very diverse bunch. What I experienced, as a Christian in Wheaton, was so conservative it made me uncomfortable. Just my opinion of Wheaton.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSully View Post
The person who mentioned the garage sales mentioned it in context with several other things that together made them feel they didn't really fit it. And yes, if I was thinking of moving somewhere and it seemed that most of the people were conservative Muslim, I wouldn't feel like I fit in very well there either.

There is nothing about Christ that I find offensive. If there is anything that should make you go hmmmm, it's why people want to assume others have a problem with Christ instead of listening to what they are actually saying.

Yes - THIS!

Old 07-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Many of the garage sale items that gave me a creepy feeling in Wheaton were children’s books. Teaching creationism, anti science, The Left Behind Series (Conversion of “spiritually empty” Jews) and a few were just plain strange like “potty training gods way”. Crosses, scripture quotes, and Jesus pictures don’t bother me. Anti science, anti Semitic, ultra conservative teachings - those things creep me out. And I’m a practicing Christian.

They are among the most popular children’s books on the market today, inspired by the evangelical Christian “Left Behind” book series, which features gory depictions of the annihilation of Jews and other nonbelievers at Armageddon. Many of these books are, at their essence, conversion narratives,” Stover wrote. The children’s books stress the importance of “Jews converting to Christianity” and “the implicit emptiness of Jewish spirituality,” according to Stover, a reference librarian at San Diego State University.
Read more: https://forward.com/news/3101/evange...conversion-of/

Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Riiight. I highly doubt ANYONE would come on here and say they would be "creeped out" by being in a neighborhood where the muslim neighbors were selling muslim religious items at their garage sales. Guaranteed it would NEVER happen. They'd be called intolerant! Hateful! And who knows what else. Not the same as saying "I don't fit in", but they used the term "creeped out".
Yes, Anti Semitic conversion teachings CREEP ME OUT! How do you feel about anti Semitic teachings?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpfinn View Post
Many of the garage sale items that gave me a creepy feeling in Wheaton were children’s books. Teaching creationism, anti science, The Left Behind Series (Conversion of “spiritually empty” Jews) and a few were just plain strange like “potty training gods way”. Crosses, scripture quotes, and Jesus pictures don’t bother me. Anti science, anti Semitic, ultra conservative teachings - those things creep me out. And I’m a practicing Christian.

They are among the most popular children’s books on the market today, inspired by the evangelical Christian “Left Behind” book series, which features gory depictions of the annihilation of Jews and other nonbelievers at Armageddon. Many of these books are, at their essence, conversion narratives,” Stover wrote. The children’s books stress the importance of “Jews converting to Christianity” and “the implicit emptiness of Jewish spirituality,” according to Stover, a reference librarian at San Diego State University.
Read more: https://forward.com/news/3101/evange...conversion-of/
You cant profess to be a "practicing Christian", yet deny Genesis. You don't get to pick and choose what you believe and don't from the Bible.

And no, Wheaton is not "overly-Christian" like many people think it is. Not at all, actually.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You cant profess to be a "practicing Christian", yet deny Genesis. You don't get to pick and choose what you believe and don't from the Bible.

And no, Wheaton is not "overly-Christian" like many people think it is. Not at all, actually.

You’ve completely proven my point about Wheaton! And BTW, there are a lot of Christians that believe in Evolution. A LOT.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM

And I know this will stir the pot with the uninformed. But - Evolution is a scientific fact. Evolution in its simplest terms is a “change in gene frequency over time”. Unless all living things are genetically identical (which they are most certainly NOT) then everything evolves across generations. The “theory” of Natural Selection that is currently accepted by the scientific community only describes the mechanism of change, not the change itself. Darwin’s theory of Natural Selection May be proven incorrect but evolution itself is a solid scientific fact.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
A cross or praying hands is not a conservative Christian symbol. Its a fairly common universal symbol in the world of Christianity. Nothing to get creeped out at.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM

73 posts, read 163,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpfinn View Post
Crosses, scripture quotes, and Jesus pictures don’t bother me. Anti science, anti Semitic, ultra conservative teachings - those things creep me out. And I’m a practicing Christian.
So you're in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs