Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM

43 posts, read 115,102 times

Advertisements

It is a real reality check trying to find a newer home in the chicago area under 700,000. I am thinking we may also be out in the abbott park area so am now lookin into grayslake, libertyville, antioch, vernon hills. My new question is how far from a metro does this put me and which is the most desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Not sure what your question is -- you can determine where all those towns are with maps.google.com . When you look at the satellite photos it is pretty easy to tell how developed those area are. New homes in Antioch or Grayslake are a heck of lot less desirable than those in Libertyville or Vernon Hills, further out, schools are not as good, neighborhoods are not as well developed, longer commutes. You'll almost certainly get more house out there. Of course the other thing to be careful is that when you spend $700K in any of those town you are pretty far over the "median" -- while Libertyville has some close-to-town historic district homes and some estates that have sold for well above $700k and some new construction too, the other towns have far less in that price category. It not just size of the houses either. In Antioch and Grayslake there were some large tract builders fairly active, not so much in Vernon Hills or Libertyville.

3,200 is a really BIG house in any town in Illinois. Even among other big houses in like Long Grove or South Barrington it will NOT be common. You will pay a HUGE premium to have BIG house in a top notch area.

You might be better off trying to just locate a 4-5 bedroom house with a 2-3car garage, if that is what you currently have and want to replicate. In fact if you are familiar with the housing stock in Illinois you might recall that with a basement for additional below grade living/storage space you could be happy with a much more common but still spacious 2300-2500 sq ft.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

3,200 is a really BIG house in any town in Illinois. Even among other big houses in like Long Grove or South Barrington it will NOT be common. You will pay a HUGE premium to have BIG house in a top notch area.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Yes its a big house but it is not uncommon at all. I have been in Barrington and now Barrington Hills for 20 years and know the different burbs around here very well. The homes all over here are very big, and 3200 is common. I hope one of our local realtors will comment.(''middle age mom''?)

To Kellib, yes, Libertyville/vernon hills would be more desirable then Antioch or Greyslake,you would have to see what you like and what feels like home to you, but 700, for a house still gives you plenty of choices in nice places. A metra is in both of these towns. Please keep checking.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM

Look at the data provided by our gracious hosts:

Barrington, IL (Illinois) Houses, Apartments, Cars, Mortgage Status, and Residents Info
Libertyville, IL (Illinois) Houses, Apartments, Cars, Mortgage Status, and Residents Info

It is NOT uncommon to find four bedroom homes in either town, but believe me MANY of those homes are considerably less than 3200 sq ft.

Now, don't get me wrong, these places are NOT the upper limit, at all (there are plenty of homes that are over 10,000 sq ft) all I was suggesting was that if the OP wants a house with 4 or 5 bedrooms it is a more achievable task to find that ESPECIALLY when considering her budget. Is she is worried about having more storage /a big play area for her kids then the basement is a great option, and generally NOT part of the experience in SC homes.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM

71 posts, read 269,353 times
I'm a teacher in Des Plaines and think the school district is great! We do have lots of English Language Learners from all backgrounds and I feel that they really add a lot to our district.

You can definitely find a nice home in your price range. It's true that some parts of the city have a lot of noise from O'Hare. So do many parts of Park Ridge.

I don't think Des Plaines is crowded at all, but I guess that depends on where you're coming from. The downtown is cute and has a bunch of newer restaurants and a very nice library.

I also know that some places closer to the river in Des Plaines are very prone to flooding.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,722 times
I like the western suburbs the best: Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Geneva, St. Charles, Elmhurst.....but if I had to live in Northwestern suburbs I'd pick Park Ridge or Arlington Heights............if you want to go to city more I'd pick Park Ridge

Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 AM

I am orignally from St.Louis. I always had a basement home. Now moving to the carolinas I have not had one and adapted but if coming back I would want the basement again but needs to be a true livable space, not dark and dreery! As for sq.ft. I have over 3000 Sq. ft. now. I would want the same if n ot slightly bigger liveable space. I am discouraged by the lack of new homes in a good school district. I appreciate all this input and will keep searching.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 AM

44 posts, read 232,687 times
Hi kellib,

I saw that you were asking about Antioch. We've lived here for 12 years. My husband worked in Waukegan but was command directed to a new duty station in Des Plaines. It takes him about 1.5 hrs. to get to and from work in the morning (in very frustrating traffic). I just wanted to let you know that. Traffic is pretty bad around here with all the construction.

Lots of the newer homes have English basements or daylight basements with walkouts, so that will be good living space! I hope that you find a place that works for you soon.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the postive comments. I need to refine my search yet again! Could someone give me input of the drive from abbot park to barrington?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 AM

Barrington to Abbott Park is going to be about 45 minutes. A lot depends on the choice of surface vs expressway -- it is one of those of commutes that has about 15 alternatives that MOSTLY are with 5 minutes of each other BUT sometimes can shave off or add on 20 minutes either way. Personally I prefer that to a commute where you "locked in" to one route that goes from horrible to intolerable...

You gotta know though that Barrington itself is just one town that is more traditional -- North Barrington, Lake Barrington, Barrington Hills and South Barrington are all going to have different twists on the commute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs