Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Interesting. Where precisely were you in DF (me scratching my head to think of where that could be)?
I have to be honest, we were kind of wandering aimlessly.

I do know we entered Deerfield on the southeast side of town heading west on Lake County before cutting through some neighborhoods. We ended up in the neighborhoods just northwest of downtown before heading southwest of downtown. Little Sunday cruise.

Plenty of beautiful homes, some noticeable building activity.. No doubt about it. But, was surprised at the amount of homes that looked unkept. Maybe foreclosures? And, there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.. It wasn't like one neighborhood was less desirable than another.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:42 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I have to be honest, we were kind of wandering aimlessly.

I do know we entered Deerfield on the southeast side of town heading west on Lake County before cutting through some neighborhoods. We ended up in the neighborhoods just northwest of downtown before heading southwest of downtown. Little Sunday cruise.

Plenty of beautiful homes, some noticeable building activity.. No doubt about it. But, was surprised at the amount of homes that looked unkept. Maybe foreclosures? And, there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.. It wasn't like one neighborhood was less desirable than another.
Thinking really hard right now of which path into DF would see anything close to multiple homes that looked even remotely abandoned.

Coming in from the SE off of Lake Cook rd takes you through the Briarwood subdivision, separate from downtown DF. There’s no abandoned homes there that I am aware off. Just south of there, on the opposite side of Lake Cook Rd, is actually an older Northbrook subdivision with a few banged up looking homes with the backs facing Lake Cook. Maybe that’s where you were initially.

If you were near downtown DF, there are some older rental homes in that proximity that could use a coat of paint, also very centrally located and rarely unoccupied AFAIK. Teardowns are happening again more frequently in neighborhoods with metra access. One builder at was sitting on 20-25 properties in mostly NE DF, waiting for demand to increase (which it has if you see how many $1.2 million dollar craftsman style homes have popped up over the last year.). That area is the epicenter, given the walk score.

Multiple collapsed roofs and sunken driveways though? I believe you, but are you 110% certain you were in DF?

Old 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
I don't have any involvement with any properties in Deerfield, but Deerfield is a North Shore community and is in a stronger position than the Barrington area. Deerfield and Bannockburn are also relatively strong compared to the rest of upscale Lake County.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't have any involvement with any properties in Deerfield, but Deerfield is a North Shore community and is in a stronger position than the Barrington area. Deerfield and Bannockburn are also relatively strong compared to the rest of upscale Lake County.

Deerfield market trends indicate a decrease of -4% in median home sales price over the past year.
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/6...market-trends/

Barrington market trends indicate a decrease of -3% in median home sales price over the past year.
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/B...market-trends/

Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Deerfield market trends indicate a decrease of -4% in median home sales price over the past year.
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/6...market-trends/

Barrington market trends indicate a decrease of -3% in median home sales price over the past year.
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/B...market-trends/
That data is not very useful. It does not take into account the variations of what comes onto the market at a particular time. Inventory is not always the same.

Deerfield is a better bet than Barrington or the Barrington area. It better fits the criteria of contemporary buyers.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
That data is not very useful. It does not take into account the variations of what comes onto the market at a particular time. Inventory is not always the same.

Deerfield is a better bet than Barrington or the Barrington area. It better fits the criteria of contemporary buyers.
Yes, the entire set of data and trends is useful. Both Deerfield housing prices and rental rates have depreciated more than Barrington y-o-y... Barrington rental prices appear to be trending up where Deerfield rental rate is flat. Deerfield home prices depreciated -4% and Barrington -3%.

But really, it’s not much of a difference. The 2 markets are pretty similar - 2 walkable family-friendly towns on the train line, with good schools/green space, and similar housing stock/lots.

Barrington may be slightly farther from the loop - though they are only a few small towns apart from one another. And Barrington allows doable commuting via 90, 53, 290 or 294... as well as access to O’Hare. There are many people who seek ease in commuting to the airport and being farther east on The North Shore is not always conducive for that.

It’s not like we are comparing Barrington to a North Shore town like Wilmette... c’mon. I think it’s kind of disingenuous to even call Deerfield a core of The North Shore (but whatever, IDC it’s great marketing). I actually grew up on the original North Shore, steps from the lake, and have worked and lived in Deerfield and Barrington as well. FTR I like both towns a lot, particularly for raising children. I also grew up going to Deerfield’s Bakery and have spent a fortune there...

But you can not convince me that Deerfield has “a much different contemporary buyer profile than Barrington” - nope. I show my residential properties in both these towns and there is no difference in prospects - same target markets.

Contrary to what you believe, the 2 towns have very similar buyer demographics (see below...). The buyer demographics in South Barrington is completely different from Deerfield - but you did not reference South Barrington, which is a different town.

Deerfield Demographics:

Median resident age: 44.6 years
Estimated median household income in 2016: $149,605
Estimated median house in 2016: $544,686
Race: 89.8% White
Mean rental: $2800

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Deerfield-Illinois.html

Barrington Demographics:

Median resident age: 44.1 years
Estimated median household income in 2016: $126,301
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $525,747 (it was $327,200 in 2000) Barrington: $525,747 IL: $186,500
Race: 90.2%
Mean Rental: $2800

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Barrington-Illinois.html

These towns also have almost the exact same educational attainment levels, white collar occupations, and religious affiliations.. Look at the CD data links - too much to post here...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-18-2019 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, the entire set of data and trends is useful. Deerfield housing prices have depreciated more than Barrington y-o-y... Barrington rental prices also appear to be trending up where Deerfield rental rate is flat. Deerfield home prices depreciated -4% and Barrington -3%.

But really, it’s not much of a difference. The 2 markets are pretty similar - 2 walkable family-friendly towns on the train line, with good schools, and similar housing stock. Barrington is slightly farther from the city core - though they are only a few small towns apart from one another.

It’s not like you are comparing Barrington to a North Shore town like Wilmette... c’mon. I think it’s kind of disingenuous to even call Deerfield a core of The North Shore (but whatever, IDC it’s great marketing). I actually grew up on the original North Shore, steps from the lake, and have lived and worked in both Deerfield and Barrington as well. FTR I like both towns a lot, particularly for raising children. I also grew up going to Deerfield’s Bakery and have spent a fortune there...

But you can not convince me that Deerfield has “a much different contemporary buyer profile than Barrington” - nope. I show my residential properties in both these towns and there is no difference in prospects - same target markets.

Contrary to what you believe, the 2 towns have very similar buyer demographics (see below...). The buyer demographics in South Barrington is completely different from Deerfield - but you did not reference South Barrington, which is a different town.

Deerfield Demographics:

Median resident age: 44.6 years
Estimated median household income in 2016: $149,605
Estimated median house in 2016: $544,686
Race: 89.8% White
Mean rental: $2800

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Deerfield-Illinois.html

Barrington Demographics:

Median resident age: 44.1 years
Estimated median household income in 2016: $126,301
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $525,747 (it was $327,200 in 2000) Barrington: $525,747 IL: $186,500
Race: 90.2%
Mean Rental: $2800

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Barrington-Illinois.html

These towns also have almost the exact same educational attainment levels, white collar occupations, and religious affiliations.. Look at the CD data links - too much to post here...
This thread wasn't about the Village of Barrington. It was about the Village of South Barrington, and I'm the original poster. You're also misquoting me on contemporary buyers.

Off topic, but, Deerfield is the North Shore. People who don't want to include the immediately adjacent communities that we share school districts with among many other things are just being pretentious.

I don't understand why the Village of Barrington was introduced as a topic vis-à-vis South Barrington and Deerfield.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
This thread wasn't about the Village of Barrington. It was about the Village of South Barrington, and I'm the original poster. You're also misquoting me on contemporary buyers.

Off topic, but, Deerfield is the North Shore. People who don't want to include the immediately adjacent communities that we share school districts with among many other things are just being pretentious.

I don't understand why the Village of Barrington was introduced as a topic vis-à-vis South Barrington and Deerfield.
Then you need to start using the correct town names in your posts. You’re the one who introduced Barrington incorrectly on a post in this thread. That’s like me referring to “North Chicago” as “Chicago” in my posts and then complaining when people misunderstand. Maybe you didn’t realize there was a difference between Barrington and South Barrington?

Off topic, but Deerfield was not considered The North Shore when I was a kid because, you know, there’s no shore. A very good Lake County real estate marketer introduced it. I already said I loved your Deerfield. Pretentious? ... pot calling the kettle black...

Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Then you need to start using the correct town names in your posts. You’re the one who introduced Barrington incorrectly on a post in this thread. That’s like me referring to “North Chicago” as “Chicago” in my posts and then complaining when people misunderstand. Maybe you didn’t realize there was a difference between Barrington and South Barrington?
Are you crazy?

Quote:
Off topic, but Deerfield was not considered The North Shore when I was a kid because, you know, there’s no shore. A very good Lake County real estate marketer introduced it.
You must be 90 years old. Being directly on the lakefront has never been a pre-requisite for being considered part of the North Shore. Highwood's corporate limits do not touch the shoreline.

The original definition apparently revolved around the North Shore Line that folded into the Union Pacific North Metra line and was headquartered in Highwood.

Skokie, Golf, Glenview, Northfield, and Northbrook have nothing to do with a "Lake County real estate marketer," and they are also part of the North Shore area.

Quote:
I already said I loved your Deerfield. Pretentious? ... pot calling the kettle black...
I have no connection to Deerfield whatsoever.

-----------------------------------------------------

Below is what you responded to with your Trulia links.

Quote:
I did not refer to the Village of Barrington. You misread. That's ok.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 AM

207 posts, read 213,692 times
I say this with the disclaimer that I am NOT a Chicago/Illinois native.

I never considered Deerfield the north shore either, as I didn't think it was east enough but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Chicago)

Then there's this:

http://yochicago.com/guides/north-shore-suburbs/

Apparently there are wannabes.

I have a good friend that lives in Deerfield (from Winnetka). I should ask her if she considers DF part of the NS. I will say that before we bought our current house, we were looking in Deerfield and not once were any of the houses being marketed as part of the NS, so who knows.

Last edited by olive03; 06-19-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs