Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 04:46 PM

43 posts, read 29,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree with that. I grew up in a small town outside NYC. My husband grew up on Long Island and was born in Brooklyn Hospital. We still have relatives there and go back to visit once in a while. Took the grandchildren to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade a few years ago (my dd actually worked the parade once holding onto one of the large balloons).

Someone mentioned the New York suburbs. It is true that they have good schools, but, imo, the suburbs mentioned are almost as stressful as the city. Burbs in New Jersey would be an option there as well.

Thank You. The houses in good burbs in NJ looked very nice indeed! Personally, I found the style of IL houses more aligned with my personal preferences but NJ were not that much behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Yes I attended South Park school in Deerfield. Our village voted on the name “South Park” after we tired of the name “Simpson School”.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Yes I attended South Park school in Deerfield. Our village voted on the name “South Park” after we tired of the name “Simpson School”.

You guys seem to have even better sense of humour than Sydneysiders, when we voted for a new ferry name "Ferry McFerryFace" last year. An aspect of the famous Midwestern Nice?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...yface-scandal/

Old 01-25-2020, 02:50 AM

9 posts, read 3,957 times
If you are looking for a 30-35 minute commute to the city, great public schools and a fun, safe neighborhood with lots of activities you may want to consider Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills. They call those two a part of the North Shore that found its way to the western suburbs. Great place to live. You won't miss the lake out there.

If you are open to private school education for your children, there are a lot of neighborhoods with good connections to the city, great amenities and lower overall housing prices. Many of the private schools in suburban Chicago are quite good and some offer top-tier education for a reasonable price.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowerfriday View Post
If you are open to private school education for your children, there are a lot of neighborhoods with good connections to the city, great amenities and lower overall housing prices. Many of the private schools in suburban Chicago are quite good and some offer top-tier education for a reasonable price.
That makes less sense, given the overall high quality (and variety) of suburban public schools here. You go private mostly living in the city w/ the OP’s large housing budget.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowerfriday View Post
If you are looking for a 30-35 minute commute to the city, great public schools and a fun, safe neighborhood with lots of activities you may want to consider Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills. They call those two a part of the North Shore that found its way to the western suburbs. Great place to live. You won't miss the lake out there.

Thank You. The two you mentioned were also part of my research and a definite possibility. ATM the plan is to settle in Deerfield with a one year rent doing our own, first hands research to get a real taste of the area. As much as I "walked" the suburbs with Google and other online tools at my disposal they are synthetic at best.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
That makes less sense, given the overall high quality (and variety) of suburban public schools here. You go private mostly living in the city w/ the OP’s large housing budget.
I did not do any research on private school. In Australia Public schools provide better education compared to private according to the published test data. Private are more thing of showing off and developing "connections". A good friend of mine, who is a professor at Sydney University rates students from private schools as the worst.

I won't live in the city, an hour commute on Metra is a perfect reading time. Half-jokingly, one minus I found so far with Deerfield is that the nearest ALDI is farther away but I'm sure there are other options for great quality fresh produce and German beers

Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb23 View Post
I did not do any research on private school. In Australia Public schools provide better education compared to private according to the published test data. Private are more thing of showing off and developing "connections". A good friend of mine, who is a professor at Sydney University rates students from private schools as the worst.
Do you have any legitimate studies that show this? LOL. It's not very believable at all.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Do you have any legitimate studies that show this? LOL. It's not very believable at all.
found this article

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-the-price-tag

Old 01-25-2020, 06:13 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
"...once you’ve controlled for socioeconomic background."

That's hella difficult to do.

"So why are so many families – more than 50% of students in Sydney and Melbourne attend non-government schools – choosing to pay for private schools?"

Figures like that are unheard of in this country. In light of that, private/independent schools might appeal to different types of families than independents typically do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs