Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 12:44 PM

77 posts, read 41,964 times

Advertisements

I extolled the virtues of La Grange, where I lived years ago, in another thread. But one thing I’ve noticed is that the truck traffic on La Grange Road in LG and LGP seems to have gotten worse in recent years. So many semi-trucks, and gravel trucks from the nearby quarry, seem to whip by. It’s a fairly narrow street with curves. I’m curious because there are signs all along La Grange Rd. that say “Not a Designated Truck Route”. Why don’t police enforce this/ticket truck drivers? Is it enforceable? Has anyone else noticed the increase in trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 01:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakParkForestParkExile View Post
I extolled the virtues of La Grange, where I lived years ago, in another thread. But one thing I’ve noticed is that the truck traffic on La Grange Road in LG and LGP seems to have gotten worse in recent years. So many semi-trucks, and gravel trucks from the nearby quarry, seem to whip by. It’s a fairly narrow street with curves. I’m curious because there are signs all along La Grange Rd. that say “Not a Designated Truck Route”. Why don’t police enforce this/ticket truck drivers? Is it enforceable? Has anyone else noticed the increase in trucks?
My guess is that (at least relatively recently) they had construction on 83. I think it was only like 5 months, but it was VERY hard for trucks to make the turn from Cal-Sag to 83 in either direction. I imagine that many stayed on LaGrange straight through just to avoid that curve. The backup during this construction was unreal. Sometimes I’d see it go from Cal-Sag all the way up to 55 on 83. The next truck route is not until LG, so there isn’t really any alternative. This has ended, but I don’t know if trucks have gone back to the old route yet.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:09 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Let's not forget the construction on I-294. It will be going on for years. Probably some is spilling over to US 12-45. https://www.illinoistollway.com/proj...reconstruction

Last edited by pvande55; 04-14-2020 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 AM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
I haven't noticed.

Seems weird cause you were just complaining heavily about traffic/parking restrictions and enforcement in Oak Park, but championing restrictions and more enforcement in LG.

We need **** delivered to stores and homes right now, lets give truckers a break rn.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM

77 posts, read 41,964 times
Heavy truck traffic on curvy, fairly narrow La Grange Rd. started well before COVID. These are 18-wheelers going through mixed business and residential neighborhoods. Many don’t obey posted speed limits and cross the center line. I’ve had to swerve numerous times to avoid them.

There’s a real reason there are signs everywhere that say “NOT A DESIGNATED TRUCK ROUTE.” Even if the La Grange/La Grange Park Police aren’t bothering to enforce it now.

And I never said there shouldn’t be parking restrictions in Oak Park. There have to be because the town and all the apartment buildings were designed/built before cars became common. But parking should be a major factor in deciding to move there because it can be a real PITA.

Last edited by OakParkForestParkExile; 04-15-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs