Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 07:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

On the positive side, if you want somewhere like Lake Forest, which is still a very nice community, the prices are attainable for non-wealthy. Upper middle class couples can now comfortably afford non-mansions in prime Lake Forest. And there are lots of high paying jobs that don't require a commute downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 11:08 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
While this trend has been picking up steam for years upon years in the Chicagoland area, I wonder if the tide may turn & the further out burbs might regain some appeal after America gets past the coronavirus pandemic.

NYC has always been considered the epitome of prestigious urban living in this country, and look how they've gotten utterly decimated by the pandemic. Some of the super rich folk out there have virtually fled to areas such as the Hamptons, Hudson Valley, Nantucket (MA), Jersey Shore (NJ). These areas are nowhere near the "city" so to speak & now the locals are afraid that their local hospital systems will be overwhelmed. The rich Manhattan folk are sometimes even forking over $100K per month or more for those Hamptons mansions. LOL. Such absurd market conditions would be unheard of in Chicago fortunately.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I'm not getting why you think that wealthy people fleeing to their weekend homes in a pandemic means that sprawl will regain its appeal.

Their second homes aren't in sprawl, they're in the country. And it isn't like they're giving up their primary homes because there's a 2-month crisis.

It would be like saying that Barrington will be more appealing than Evanston in the future due to Covid-19, and the reasoning is that people in the Gold Coast are hanging out in their Michigan weekend homes. Huh?

Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm not getting why you think that wealthy people fleeing to their weekend homes in a pandemic means that sprawl will regain its appeal.

Their second homes aren't in sprawl, they're in the country. And it isn't like they're giving up their primary homes because there's a 2-month crisis.

It would be like saying that Barrington will be more appealing than Evanston in the future due to Covid-19, and the reasoning is that people in the Gold Coast are hanging out in their Michigan weekend homes. Huh?
Look, I see your point here. End of the day I think that the trend in general may get blurred. People will live where they enjoy the lifestyle more.

Whether in the city, a inner-ring or outer-ring suburb, I think remote working (or a good mix of it) will be more acceptable for white collar workers than ever in the past after the current pandemic situation is under control.

And the best part about working remotely is that you're way less limited in terms of where you live. Commute times are less of a factor when you only need to report into a physical office 1 to 2x per week. If you're real lucky, maybe even less often than that. Main prerequisite of course is a decent wi-fi connection & cell phone signal.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
While this trend has been picking up steam for years upon years in the Chicagoland area, I wonder if the tide may turn & the further out burbs might regain some appeal after America gets past the coronavirus pandemic.
No. I absolutely don't think so.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
A big reason urban living has exploded from the employee's perspective is less commute times and walkability (i.e. the idea of biking/walking to work along with other amenities). From the employer's perspective its a bigger talent pool in a concentrated area. Covid will have a dramatic impact on the remote working landscape as more industries shift to online and work from home. White collar employers will not rush employees back to work at the risk of a covid outbreak...and people will soon realize 90% of office work can be done from home.

So I could see as jobs shift online some people seek the more surburban / rural lifestyle...but on the flipside all the other lifestyle amenities like restaurants, bars, grocery, gyms, etc. being within walking distance will still be a HUGE pull to urban centers. At the end of this I think we'll simply see more urban people working from home and office buildings will suffer. I would not want to be an office building owner right now.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
A big reason urban living has exploded from the employee's perspective is less commute times and walkability (i.e. the idea of biking/walking to work along with other amenities). From the employer's perspective its a bigger talent pool in a concentrated area. Covid will have a dramatic impact on the remote working landscape as more industries shift to online and work from home. White collar employers will not rush employees back to work at the risk of a covid outbreak...and people will soon realize 90% of office work can be done from home.

So I could see as jobs shift online some people seek the more surburban / rural lifestyle...but on the flipside all the other lifestyle amenities like restaurants, bars, grocery, gyms, etc. being within walking distance will still be a HUGE pull to urban centers. At the end of this I think we'll simply see more urban people working from home and office buildings will suffer. I would not want to be an office building owner right now.
There you go, I think I can agree with you on this point for sure.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Hey, go on! I’m technically a millennial, but I’m too much of a car guy to really be happy with an urban setting. Make my houses cheaper please!

Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 AM

376 posts, read 489,135 times
Joel Kotkin has been contending for some time that the future is dispersion, with select remaining 'luxury cities' where the rich globalist elite live and play, alongside those who serve them. And there will be less and less reason to be even close to a major city, so it's not so much sprawl and exurbs expanding as loose clustering around existing desirable rural areas. https://www.newgeography.com/content...pulated-cities

Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
Joel Kotkin has been contending for some time that the future is dispersion, with select remaining 'luxury cities' where the rich globalist elite live and play, alongside those who serve them. And there will be less and less reason to be even close to a major city, so it's not so much sprawl and exurbs expanding as loose clustering around existing desirable rural areas. https://www.newgeography.com/content...pulated-cities
Nearly everything Kotkin wrote in that piece is baseless crap. The coronavirus is not going to rescue the housing market in Lake Forest, Greenwich Backcountry, and the like.

This is a more rational take on the question of density and health in light of the pandemic: NYT: Density Is Normally Good for Us. That Will Be True After Coronavirus, Too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs