Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:36 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
Do you have a single article that isn't 2 to 3 YEARS OLD?
All you do is cite the same bs "study" from some moving company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 07:39 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Huh? I live in Buffalo Grove. For 34 years. Been in this area my entire life. Grew up in Chicago. Left in my mid 20s for Arlington Heights, then Palatine, then BG and never looked back.

What I cited are hard facts. Go to the IRS web site yourself and see. You can download back to 2000 for every state. All you need is Excel. But I guess that is too hard for a genius like you.

Get your facts straight Ace, before spouting off.
Ok...another 70-year-old that thinks that their perspective and interpretation are representative of the average person. Chicagoland is a thriving metropolis, especially the city itself.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Ok...another 70-year-old that thinks that their perspective and interpretation are representative of the average person. Chicagoland is a thriving metropolis, especially the city itself.

First, I am not a 70 year old, but am retired. Second, there is not a whole lot of interpretation to the statistics I cited from the IRS. It's right there in black and white. It is undeniable that Illinois is losing population (which also means loss of congressional seats and influence in DC), and is losing its tax base. It has the lowest debt rating of any state. Those are facts. If you want to ignore them, that's fine. That doesn't mean they are not true.

Look, I hate to say it because Chicago is where I grew up and the suburbs are where I raised a family, and I remember when this area really was thriving. Chicago and Illinois are now in decline. It is objectively obvious. Many people see it and leave. Others don't and stay. That's fine. To each his/her own.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 AM

139 posts, read 76,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Another Chicagoan, who thinks Illinois is the only place where people live who have a buck and a half...... And people don't move out of a, "thriving metropolis" in droves... As every population census done in the Chicago metro area in the last decade proves.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't understand what the obsession is with Arizona and particularly Phoenix. It just overall lacks the quality of life you find in other larger metro areas, and the upscale areas there, :cough: Scottsdale, are just very pretentious and plastic, not remotely culturally like the Midwest at all. Throw in the horrid unrelenting sun with dry heat and I'll permanently pass on that. It's better to go to areas where people aren't moving in large quantities, driving up housing prices, taxes, and everything else through the roof. Good thing most Americans are very scared of snow and colder weather, makes for a much more reasonable cost of housing and a greater overall quality of life, not quantity of life.
I've flirted with moving to Phoenix area twice, once for a job (when I first graduated college 20 years ago) and once to go to grad school roughly 12 years ago (Thunderbird). I was just there in February before the Coronavirus for a kid's sport tournament. It was gorgeous in February. 50s in the morning 70s during the day, fantastic mountain vistas, and.......that's about it. At least those were the only things that appealed to me. It lacks almost everything that I find value in living here in Chicagoland. What really stood out for me were those horrible stucco houses that were all "painted" with some sort of a color variation of puke and poop on postage size lots with driveways that were barely one car deep. And, they weren't nearly as cheap as I thought they would be.

It doesn't change the fact Phoenix is a popular destination for retirees. I've met lot of Canadians as well, especially from Alberta. But, what retirees look for in a place to live and what I do are two opposite things. And, that's ok.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:19 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
People move to the desert from the Midwest b/c they spent 40 years getting rained upon.
I always wonder why New Mexico is so overlooked, barring Albuquerque; it's really nice.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
People move to the desert from the Midwest b/c they spent 40 years getting rained upon.
I always wonder why New Mexico is so overlooked, barring Albuquerque; it's really nice.
New Mexico is another poorly run by Dems state.

https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2016/1...-nation-again/
Quote:
A high poverty rate, dire budget situation and high unemployment led to New Mexico once again being named the worst-run state in the nation, according to a list compiled by 24/7 Wall St.
people looking to escape one Democrat wrecked state typically don't want to move to another.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:10 AM

139 posts, read 76,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschemist80 View Post
new mexico is another poorly run by dems state.

people looking to escape one democrat wrecked state typically don't want to move to another.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
New Mexico is another poorly run by Dems state.

people looking to escape one Democrat wrecked state typically don't want to move to another.
All depends on where in the state, as property taxes there are among the lowest in the nation.
Mine are around $500 for 5 acres, but this is an hour from civilization.
I realize the schools are horrible, and people are poor etc etc.
But in rural settings w/o kids, the numerous problems of urban areas are of little concern.
As are politicians.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your taxes on a 100K value property are higher than mine in the mountains of NM.
https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes
And I'm not dependent on the quickly dehydrating Colorado river for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs