Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 10,555 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! We are in process of a move to Chicagoland at the end of the summer and want to get any thoughts. Originally from Buffalo NY but moving currently from DFW Texas

My wife’s job is in Deerfield. I’m in process of getting my transfer completed but there are several areas I could land office wise: Rolling Meadows, oakbrook terrace, or downtown. I also have applied to positions that have offices in Schiller Park and Lemont. I’m a federal employee so either I transfer inter office or if I get a job with another agency, still a transfer as far as pay and benefits.

We’ve started looking in Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Arlington Heights and plan to visit this month. All those seem like a good medium commute especially if I get into my rolling meadows office, but I could see getting placed in oakbrook terrace. Further out it seems you get more bang for your buck and newer homes, such as Grayslake, but that seems like it would give me a brutal commute. Especially once things start getting a little more back to normal.

We have an almost 2 year old, so for now we just need daycare but public schools will be important in the next several years

Prefer to be close to shops and restaurants
Good spot to be in if I transfer offices within the metro area (which is common in my organization, people will rotate around especially once they are in supervision). If I start in Rolling Meadows, the likelihood I finish my career there is probably nil, but I’d be there for a good 5 years as long as all works good.
3-4 bedroom home
Fenced in yard for two dogs
Budget is 350k
Keep wife’s commute within a half hour.
If I get a downtown office, access to transit in would be important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 08:50 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkcpa View Post
Hey everyone! We are in process of a move to Chicagoland at the end of the summer and want to get any thoughts. Originally from Buffalo NY but moving currently from DFW Texas

My wife’s job is in Deerfield. I’m in process of getting my transfer completed but there are several areas I could land office wise: Rolling Meadows, oakbrook terrace, or downtown. I also have applied to positions that have offices in Schiller Park and Lemont. I’m a federal employee so either I transfer inter office or if I get a job with another agency, still a transfer as far as pay and benefits.

We’ve started looking in Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Arlington Heights and plan to visit this month. All those seem like a good medium commute especially if I get into my rolling meadows office, but I could see getting placed in oakbrook terrace. Further out it seems you get more bang for your buck and newer homes, such as Grayslake, but that seems like it would give me a brutal commute. Especially once things start getting a little more back to normal.

We have an almost 2 year old, so for now we just need daycare but public schools will be important in the next several years

Good spot to be in if I transfer offices within the metro area (which is common in my organization, people will rotate around especially once they are in supervision). If I start in Rolling Meadows, the likelihood I finish my career there is probably nil, but I’d be there for a good 5 years as long as all works good.
3-4 bedroom home
Budget is 350k

If schools are important, BG and AH are much better choices than Wheeling (though you have to be careful because school boundaries are all over the place and a small part of BG and AH are in the Wheeling boundaries). You can get what you are looking for in BG, but the house will be a small 3/2 (1400-1600 sq/ft) 1970 ranch with no basement, though likely updated. But that would cost close to your $350K budget. There is a Metra station in BG, but the service on that line is limited, especially now with Covd-19. Commute to Deerfield and RM would be under 30 minutes. AH has better Metra service but I don't know what $350K will get you there. Commute to Deerfield would be longer than in BG - shorter commute to RM. Don't forget real estate taxes which are insane in Illinois. One of my kids, who is single, bought a 1650 sq/ft ranch in BG several years ago and did significant upgrades. Great neighborhood. It is now a very nice modern house, inside and out and great for a 30 something single. Would sell for about $350K. But real estate taxes are $9K which is more than the mortgage payment. The cost of being in one of the top school districts in the state.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,555 times
Thanks for the input!

We've also been looking in other areas in that vicinity such as Lake Zurich, Vernon Hills, Mundelein, and as far north as Grayslake. Mundelein seems to get a bad rap as far as schools but it seems that the Fremont 79 elementary and junior high districts seem well rated. Our son would be going to elementary school in about 3 years. So is school important? Of course, but I don't think him not going to say Stevenson someday is the end of the world by any means. Reasonable housing and access to activities/things to do for a family would be higher on what we want vs looking only at the school district.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:21 PM

207 posts, read 213,837 times
Welcome!

We are in District 96 (Long Grove) so I'm partial to the schools here and Stevenson (my husband is a grad). We absolutely love them.

There are a lot of wonderful districts in the N/NW suburbs.

All of Lake Co BG goes to Stevenson. Cook Co BG goes to BG High School, which is still a good choice. AH is a great community as well, with lots of great options.

As far as LZ, VH, Mundelein and Grayslake, I'd personally rank them as follows with regards to schools alone:

VH
LZ
Grayslake
Mundelein

You really have to study and know your boundaries here in Lake Co. You can have two different families that live in the same suburb but go to completely different districts and schools. Fremont schools are acceptable from what I've heard. The majority of kids go on to Mundelein High School, but a small portion go on to Stevenson (see, there's that weird boundary thing...).

It can be REALLY confusing so feel free to PM if you have any questions. I researched districts like crazy before moving back to this area several years ago so would like to think I'm fairly well versed on this topic. I'm also a transplant, so definitely get where you're coming from in terms of trying to understand the area.

Best of luck!

Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkcpa View Post

3-4 bedroom home
Budget is 350k
Who knows how this pandemic will change the way buyers now think. But, for resale and convenience, I would sacrifice sqft and age of home to be closer to the inner ring. Meaning, I would stay as close to the city/highways as possible. If for nothing else, this should mean short and longer term stability in your investment.

With patience, you may be able to find something in Deerfield (and maybe Northbrook), both of which offer train access (Northbrook has the express train). Both of these offer direct access to 294, which will be key if you have to work in the W/NW suburban belt. If you want a larger suburb with more amenities, Arlington Heights is a good bet. I'd stay as close to downtown AH as possible, though prices are less expensive as you move outward.

The outer suburbs have made up for a loss of commercial tax revenue with property taxes. Homes in a majority of these towns have seen a decline, or complete stagnancy in value. I genuinely fear for those who invest in a property in those areas.. It's just a such a gamble post-recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs