Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 05:55 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Hello! I sometimes go out to the northwest suburbs and look for a place to eat that is in-restaurant dining.. I have found so many varieties of what is ok.. that i don't know what to count on for stores, dining-in restaurants and bathrooms. While it is 90 degrees, i do not wish to eat outside and bake like i did today.

For example, Culvers is open with in-door dining, and bathrooms open. Popeyes in Naperville was open but you cannot dine in, but you have to take out but you can come back and use the bathroom. Arby's in the northwest suburbs - you can go in and get your food, but you cant dine in NOR use the bathroom. Burger King was totally closed and no bathrooms open.

I've been down Golf Road and saw some restaurants with tents outside and people were eating outside.

McDonalds in the city was open for in-restaurant dining but the guy asked me if i were going to order food and so i could use the bathroom. perhaps that is the same for suburbs, not sure since i didn't try one in the suburbs. One restaurant in Oak Brook had in-restaurant dining and bathrooms open.

so when you are on the road far from home in the suburbs, there is a need for those things. So what can we count on so that going far from home is not a scary experience? Would a restaurant like a diner be more likely to have all these things and fast foods are generally more strict?

I thought Illinois allowed in-restaurant dining but spaced apart. why is there so much inconsistency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 07:23 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hello! I sometimes go out to the northwest suburbs and look for a place to eat that is in-restaurant dining.. I have found so many varieties of what is ok.. that i don't know what to count on for stores, dining-in restaurants and bathrooms. While it is 90 degrees, i do not wish to eat outside and bake like i did today.

For example, Culvers is open with in-door dining, and bathrooms open. Popeyes in Naperville was open but you cannot dine in, but you have to take out but you can come back and use the bathroom. Arby's in the northwest suburbs - you can go in and get your food, but you cant dine in NOR use the bathroom. Burger King was totally closed and no bathrooms open.

I've been down Golf Road and saw some restaurants with tents outside and people were eating outside.

McDonalds in the city was open for in-restaurant dining but the guy asked me if i were going to order food and so i could use the bathroom. perhaps that is the same for suburbs, not sure since i didn't try one in the suburbs. One restaurant in Oak Brook had in-restaurant dining and bathrooms open.

so when you are on the road far from home in the suburbs, there is a need for those things. So what can we count on so that going far from home is not a scary experience? Would a restaurant like a diner be more likely to have all these things and fast foods are generally more strict?

I thought Illinois allowed in-restaurant dining but spaced apart. why is there so much inconsistency?
I'd guess they're all in compliance with state guidelines but others may be more strict based on their municipality or the business's specific preferences.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'd guess they're all in compliance with state guidelines but others may be more strict based on their municipality or the business's specific preferences.
It looks like restaurants "can" open but not mandated.

It is very inconsistent. not good if you don't live nearby where you can take your hot dinner home and enjoy. but for me its many miles and not good.

I am hoping someone can give me some clues about all this, but maybe i will have to look up each restaurant and fast food and see what their policy is.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:50 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
It looks like restaurants "can" open but not mandated.

It is very inconsistent. not good if you don't live nearby where you can take your hot dinner home and enjoy. but for me its many miles and not good.

I am hoping someone can give me some clues about all this, but maybe i will have to look up each restaurant and fast food and see what their policy is.
Probably just figure out where you want to eat and give them a call.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:10 AM

196 posts, read 302,344 times
Many of the fast food joints have "fixed-in-place" tables/booths - they can't move them around to achieve the proper distancing, so the only other option is to put signs on some fraction of them saying "Do not use" or something like that. But that might be subject to abuse by patrons, would need enforcement, etc., and they probably don't have "extra" staff to attend to that, esp if there's been layoffs due to COVID19. And since so many people who get food from these places either do drive through or pick up inside and then leave, they probably feel they're not missing much by not having any inside dining at all.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePO View Post
Many of the fast food joints have "fixed-in-place" tables/booths - they can't move them around to achieve the proper distancing, so the only other option is to put signs on some fraction of them saying "Do not use" or something like that. But that might be subject to abuse by patrons, would need enforcement, etc., and they probably don't have "extra" staff to attend to that, esp if there's been layoffs due to COVID19. And since so many people who get food from these places either do drive through or pick up inside and then leave, they probably feel they're not missing much by not having any inside dining at all.
yes, they are lucky when they live close and take the food home, not good when you are 30 miles from home

I tried looking up each restaurant on the internet, and its a huge job. ugh. most seem to not have in-dining (fast foods).

Im thinking restaurants might be better chance of having all those amenities like i mentioned. (lol it really is an amenity when you can patronize the restaurant like we did last summer!)

Old 08-25-2020, 07:50 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Yes that is a big problem. There are plenty of restaurants and stores open but if you need a bathroom, my go to is McDonalds and I don't know that all are open for dine in and for bathroom use. It is a problem.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:24 PM

197 posts, read 235,510 times
I've found that most sit-down restaurants are open for in-door dining, and almost all fast-food style places are not open for in-door dining. Not sure why this is, I do miss dining in for a quick meal. Nowadays I eat almost exclusively in my car or take it home.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
I've found that most sit-down restaurants are open for in-door dining, and almost all fast-food style places are not open for in-door dining. Not sure why this is, I do miss dining in for a quick meal. Nowadays I eat almost exclusively in my car or take it home.
Culvers is open for in-restaurant dining - hint hint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: