Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Certainly: https://www.nasra.org/Files/State-Sp...%20history.pdf

Shoot, you can find a quote in this pdf from 1917, describing the state as insolvent and near crisis.
In 1917, there was no income tax. Illinois has simply raised taxes to keep up with obligations. That isn't sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 07:00 AM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
In 1917, there was no income tax. Illinois has simply raised taxes to keep up with obligations. That isn't sustainable.
Sure. It cannot go on forever, as that violates mathematics. Nobody is arguing that a government could take more than 100% of its tax base.

I'm not disputing any financial issues. I'm making a psychological assertion: These hardline, vocal anti-taxers have hurt themselves with decades of hyperbolic predictions and scare-tactics. And thus, people tune them out.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:28 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
You might want to consider Lisle. Borders Naperville to the east - closer to the highways, easier access to the train station, and you have the Morton Arboretum there. Their main street has some charm, though it's small.

And you'd be 10-12 minutes from downtown Naperville if you wanted more nightlife/restaurants, etc.

There would be some homes in your price range in the Meadows subdivision, or even perhaps near Main Street.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
I'll say this: the fear-mongers have been blowing their horns for at least 50 years now. To the detriment of their credibility.

Which is sad, because, even if they make a valid prediction, they will be seen as the boy who cried wolf.
No 20 years ago I knew the Dems were idiots but I never imagined they could cause this much damage where they are taxing families and grannies out of their homes, driving businesses and residents into exodus and getting reelected instead of dodging people wanting to kill them.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 10-22-2020 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No 20 years ago I knew the Dems were idiots but I never imagined they could cause this much damage where they are taxing families and grannies out of their homes, driving businesses and residents into exodus and getting reelected instead of dodging people wanting to kill them.
You mean Illinois Dems.

In other parts of the country, there are wildly popular/successful democratic States.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:29 AM

255 posts, read 133,392 times
Quote:
As soon as I get rid of my Cayenne S (and win the Powerball).
Haha!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Chicago is a great city. Suburbs are great with good schools. People in Chicago and midwest are great. Your family is here so that drives a lot of people who stay / move back.

Financially Illinois is a disaster. Taxes are sky high and only going higher. Suburb home values will experience a brief spike given record low interest rates and the exodus from the city. But I predict both of those will end as interest rates rise due to non-stop fed stimulus (i.e. inflation), the exodus of young families can only last so long (rents are down 25-30% in some high rises making it very attractive to young tenants), and property taxes will continue to skyrocket.

Bottom line - being around your family will be awesome. Just expect to work harder/longer as more of your money will go to ever increasing taxes and your home value will likely stagnate or decline. My good friend just moved his young family to Nashville and bought a house worth twice as much with half the taxes as his home in Elmhurst...and with no income tax he expects both to contribute to an earlier retirement than if he woulda stayed in Illinois (he's keeping same job with remote work).

Good luck with your decision!
I echo these comments. We left the chicago suburbs last month after only living there for about 2.5 years. We actually moved from Nashville to Chicago to be closer to family (Nashville has blown up in recent years but that's another story). But after living there for only a couple of years it quickly solidified my wife and I's decision to leave and move to Indiana. Chicago still has a lot to offer and if you're going to be close to family and can make it work in the long term then it could be a good move.
As the cost of living (taxes, etc.) seems to rise each year it made me realize I would have to continue to either get decent raises from my current job or job hop every few years (my wife doesn't work, so the burden to provide is on me alone). We decided that wasn't sustainable long term. For the most part the families we knew had both spouses working jobs to afford where they were living. Even my father in law is determined to leave the state in a few years when he retires (and he told us not to move to Illinois initially). I'm honestly not trying to be a Debbie downer here but make sure you know what you're in for before you move... or you may end up moving again in a few years (like us).

Old 10-22-2020, 09:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
You mean Illinois Dems.

In other parts of the country, there are wildly popular/successful democratic States.
Like what California, Conneticut, New Jersey, New York all states hemorrhaging working/middle class residents because the Dems did such a bang up job representing them.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:12 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
I'm not disputing any financial issues. I'm making a psychological assertion: These hardline, vocal anti-taxers have hurt themselves with decades of hyperbolic predictions and scare-tactics. And thus, people tune them out.
I don't think so. It looks like you aren't living here. As someone who has lived here through the tax hikes of the past 20 years, I can assure you that smaller paychecks and higher housing payments do cause a lot of anguish among Illinoisans.

I think people look at the politics of Illinois and assume that voters must be ok with the Illinois Democrats' tax increases. These tax increases aren't popular, and this 'Fair Tax' campaign appears as though it might be going down in flames. The 'anti-taxers' haven't been tuned out, they're simply generally aligned with the very unpopular minority political party.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:46 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Quote:
I don't think so. It looks like you aren't living here. As someone who has lived here through the tax hikes of the past 20 years, I can assure you that smaller paychecks and higher housing payments do cause a lot of anguish among Illinoisans.
That's on you. You've had 20 years to find greener pasture. Giddy-up.

Sure, you are correct about the tax increases. But that's been the game for a long time and I know I have two options: accept it, or move on. That's on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs