Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 869 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I will need some guidance or advise on how to make the best of the opportunity my job just offered. I am working remote but as it is a university it has several restriction on relocation. I wanted to move to chicago but one of the restrictions is I cannot work on cook county which is the area I was most interested. Nevertheless they are willing to allow dupage or any other suburb around. I was thinking if elmhurst is a good option for a single man with no kids. I am 37 and was looking for something walkable enough to not use a car and with connection to chicago so I can have a good social life in the city in the weekends but with some activities on the weekdays that are local.
I am currently in Miami fl so I don't know the areas and I will be glad to get a good idea of what are my choices. I also have a budget of top 1400 for a convertible or a one room apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
There are a lot of nice areas in DuPage Co. Elmhurst is very nice. There is a train downtown if you want to go into the city for single man type activities though there are bars and restaurants in Elmhurst. Naperville is another very popular area though like most suburbs it is more settling down type oriented. Naperville also has a train. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are also very nice towns those are just off the top of my head.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
DuPage is slim pickings for a single man. yes. But Naperville is likely your best choice. Actually quite a few single men live in DuPage, usually because of a job there, and go into Chicago for entertainment.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:54 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
DuPage is slim pickings for a single man. yes. But Naperville is likely your best choice. Actually quite a few single men live in DuPage, usually because of a job there, and go into Chicago for entertainment.
Over Elmhurst?

I'd pick Elmhurst in a heartbeat. Sizable downtown, train ride into the city is 25 minutes.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:03 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,849,701 times
If he's looking for females....Naperville's available ladies will more often be divorcees with kids, or college students. At 37, a college student is young. I lived in the town for 16 years - and though I wasn't on the prowl there, we didn't know a lot of single people unless they were 40+ and divorced. There were definitely a fair share of them though.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
You will live in a metro of 9 million people. If you are focusing on just DuPage county you might struggle but open to Chicagoland and you’ll be Golden.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
I think I agree with the suggestions here: Elmhurst is best for going into the city by train. It has a pretty small bar scene itself and a nice downtown.

Naperville is a longer commute to Chicago but likely has a pretty large bar scene in its downtown. By longer, I mean like 85 minute train ride on the weekends, unless the schedule changed after the pandemic. I'm in Naperville now and I agree with Kman that a large contingent of single females here may be divorced and with kids, I can say for sure that every time my wife and I have gone to a bar out here the past 5 years, there were a number of younger people out. To

If you care to meet people outside of a bar see what activities exist in these towns that relate to your hobbies where you can possibly meet someone, or see if you can see what a search brings up on a dating app for these areas (don't know how they work really myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs