Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,664 times

Advertisements

The new runway that is going to open this fall at O'Hare will cause quite a bit more airplane noise than that of the past for Park Ridge. I drive past the construction on my way to work and they are almost finished. The runways' takeoff/landing path is just a tad south of Touhy, approximately a 3 mile straight line from downtown Park Ridge. Approaching and departing aircraft will be much lower and louder for the area than aircraft using any of the other runways currently in use at O'Hare.

Personally, airplane noise doesn't bother me one bit. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,293,498 times
I live right by the tracks so I also get the trains and the planes, but I've gotten used to them. Of course I do notice most but it's normal to me and not as bad as very far south Park Ridge.

I don't like what they are doing to Bensenville though.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM

216 posts, read 724,094 times
Airplane noise is almost like a bad smell....after awhile you become immune to its affects. I can't say I don't notice the planes, especially when some pilots shoot down a little too low, too early, but you do get used to it. As far as what they are doing to Bensenville, I think people are adjusting. They are moving farther west and it may end up just fine. The O'Hare sprawl is far from over though. Who knows how far it may stretch its legs, arms, fingers, and toes!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Doesn't ariplane noise affect resale value? We have spent time looking in the NW suburbs and were really put off by it as prospective buyers. I did not care about the house price I just felt I did not want to deal with the noise.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
It does make a negative impression on buyers. Obviously if you are in some house that is getting rattled by anything (airplane take-offs/landings, freight trains, El trains, highway traffic, Deep Tunnel blasting et cetera) people will rightly be put off about the disruption.

Because of this most people have a "NIMBY" mindset that is understandable. Lawmakers from the NW Burbs have been opposed to O'Hare expansion for the sake of their home owner constituents, but in favor of if they have campaign donors in the construction business.

Ultimately the FAA can and does try and define every narrower approach/take off corridors and instruct pilots on the least noisy descent/ascent procedures to impact the fewest homes.

In the past there have been noise abatement programs to get the most soundproof materials in the homes and schools most effected.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,293,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Doesn't ariplane noise affect resale value? We have spent time looking in the NW suburbs and were really put off by it as prospective buyers. I did not care about the house price I just felt I did not want to deal with the noise.
It does but Park Ridge house prices have sky rocketed (little exaggeration)! It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs