Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,664 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job with Cardinal Health and will be moving from Raleigh, NC to work in McGaw Park, IL (Waukegan area) at the end of January. Im trying to find a nice 1-bedroom apartment for rent, and am not sure which areas to look in. I would prefer to have a relatively short commute to work (10-15mins) and need an area that is safe for a single female, with close proximity to shopping centers/grocery stores, etc. My budget is about $700/month, and I have been looking in Gurnee, Waukegan, and Evanston (commute, I know). Can anyone suggest cities/apartment complexes to look at, as well as what expenses are typically associated with a living situation in IL (ie relative prices for gas, electric, internet, cable, water, etc for an apartment)?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,342 times
Winthrop Harbor is a nice place.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

44 posts, read 162,596 times
Default moving to Chicago suburbs......

I am a single woman also and i just came back from a vac in NC. I would NOT recommend living in Waukegan, is not safe, is a high crime town. Gurnee is a very good choice, it also has a lot of shopping. Lake Villa is good too. Waukegan has a lot of crime and is not so safe to drive in day time, much less at night. You better driver 10-15 min longer and be safe and happy then have a short commute and risk your life..........
I use to live in Lake Villa and I loved it, is nice, quiet si safe. I would guess that the rent is a little higher in Gurnee then in Lake Villa, because of the shopping and the hightway being much closer.
Send me a message if I can be of any other help

Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM

44 posts, read 162,596 times
I forgot about the bills......sorry
When you rent a place, you only pay some of the bills, usually telephone, cooking gas, cable/satelite, internet and electricity, the other are included in the rent (generally).
All together should be around $ 150 mo but it all depends on what cable package you choose, how much you talk on the phone, what watts bulbs you buy and if you sleep with the lights on and how much you cook
So, again I would say around $ 150 /mo.
Evanston is very expensive, as for Winter Harbor, Waukegan, North Chicago and Zion, i would never live there. BE CAREFUL !

Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 77,910 times
I would consider Gurnee, Libertyville, Grayslake or Vernon Hills. They are all safe, clean and an easy commute to Cardinal. They should all be affordable. Plenty of shopping and entertainment options.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Waukegan does not have a high crime rate, read the newspaper, just last week. Any of the northern suburbs are safe, reasonable and close to all shopping and about midway between Chicago and Milwaukee. Have lived in Waukegan for 31 years, yes, have seen changes but still feel very safe. Moved there from Downers Grove and have raised two sons there. Both are very successful young gentleman.
I have a nephew that works for Cardinal Health that lives in Wicker Park in Chicago and would not live in any of the suburbs.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 PM

10 posts, read 70,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl View Post
I am a single woman also and i just came back from a vac in NC. I would NOT recommend living in Waukegan, is not safe, is a high crime town. Gurnee is a very good choice, it also has a lot of shopping. Lake Villa is good too. Waukegan has a lot of crime and is not so safe to drive in day time, much less at night. You better driver 10-15 min longer and be safe and happy then have a short commute and risk your life..........
I use to live in Lake Villa and I loved it, is nice, quiet si safe. I would guess that the rent is a little higher in Gurnee then in Lake Villa, because of the shopping and the hightway being much closer.
Send me a message if I can be of any other help
WOW, Waukegan is a "high crime" town and isn't safe? That's certainly not true. Sure, of course Waukegan has a little more crime than small suburbs but it certainly IS safe. How is it not safe to drive during the day or at night? I don't understand you. Do you think there are drive by shooting everywhere everyday? Waukegan has some very attractive neigborhoods and housing. Just take a look in the historic district and see all the beautiful historic homes for a bargain. I'm sure your opinion of Waukegan will change then.

I'm sick of seeing all these baseless, ignorant "opinions" about Waukegan on this website...

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 22,902 times
Default In Waukegan

I, too, am surprised at the negative response to Waukegan. I moved here from Atlanta in January and love it. I wanted a diverse area with good access to shopping, Milwaukee and Chicago (Highway 94). Diversity was the main motivator for me. Since I am a divorced male and my children do not live with me during the school year, area schools were not a motivator and I know nothing about them. I've not seen or heard of any real crime in Waukegan. I did the research on the above motivators and I have chosen the right area for me. There's a train that can take you into Chicago, 94 will take you to Milwaukee or Chicago. Gurnee Mills and Six Flags are 10 minutes away and the naval base is slightly farther than that. Waukegan is the county seat and housing is not outrageous. Some have referred to Waukegan as urban, however coming from Atlanta, I would have (and have) referred to it is a small town. I checked out Libertyville, Gurnee and Grayslake, but the areas are a little more expensive and a little further away than I wanted to be. You need to love, or at least accept diversity here. Waukegan is about 50% Hispanic. If you move here from a large city, I think you will do well.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 38,121 times
Looks like you should have checked out Dublin, Ohio instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs