Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Location: Primarily Colorado and northern California. Now in Chicago suburbs for a short time
7 posts, read 18,442 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving from California in 3 weeks to start a new job in Deerfield. I need to rent a place asap!

I've visited the suburbs while I was there for my interview, but did not have much time to look at houses. I did see most of Deerfield and Northbrook (mostly along Lake Cook and Waukegan).

I am looking to rent a house that has a securely fenced-in backyard for my (obviously) golden retriever. I've seen many houses that are within my price range (below $2000). I'm working with a local realtor who is really helpful.

About me: I'm a 30-something professional. Prefer to live closer to work than in the City. My primary concern is safety and affordability.

I'm nervous about my big move to Chicago. Can anyone tell me about safety in the Northbrook/Deerfield area and vicinities? Are there gated communities?

What other cities are close to Deerfield, have a similar standard of living as deerfield and northbrook, and low crime?

Thank you for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Dear gawd -- SAFETY is a complete non-issue in Deerfield and Northbrook!

Even property crime is pretty low. An occaisional bicycle 'stolen' when some kid forget where he left it.

There may be a gated community or two but is certainly NOT because of any crime concern so much as some folks like the snob factor. Generally gated communities are not popular in the region.

Have you seen Stripes? In the words of Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up Francis"!

Basically any town that is near/touches either Northbrook or Deerfield is close to paradise in terms of schools, safety, quality of life. Years ago, when Fort Sheridan was an active military base, Highwood was a "rougher" area, but mostly becuase of drinking. That has changed and the area is more upscale spots. A few housing complexes are geared to the lower earning busboys and such, but that is not really a safety issue at all.

I have this image in my head of you hunkering down waiting for some kind of gang warfare -- NEVER gonna happen in the area you are considering!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Coming from CA, you should feel a sigh of relief regarding crime. lol Dont get me wrong, there are high-crime areas in Chicago, but where youre looking at is completely fine, as Chet stated. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Location: Primarily Colorado and northern California. Now in Chicago suburbs for a short time
7 posts, read 18,442 times
Thanks for taking the gang and drive-by images out of my head I agree that Deerfield/Northbrook looked very peaceful when I was there for just 1 day. I just had to ask and see what people have to say.

People at my new work have told me that the further north I go, I'll see more seedy areas. They also didn't care for places west of Deerfield (Arlington Heights, Palatine etc) I wonder if that's because that would create a long commute. They told me they liked Highlands Park, Winnetka, Glenview, etc. I don't know which is more important, shorter commute or cheaper rent? I have my eyes on a property in Northbrook but it costs a lot (over $2000/mo). I'm thinking if I'm going to pay that much rent I might as well buy a house, but I'm not looking to buy right now.

Also, are there dog parks in the Deerfield/Northbrook area?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Not sure what Cook Co. has, but lake Co has this: Dog Parks info and locations - Lake County Forest Preserves (Illinois)

I would be cautious about buying. If you are a real settled kind of 30-something and the job secuirty is top notch you might be OK, but with the turmoil in R.E. prices I would be darned sure you could hold on to the place for 5-7 years.

$2000/mth for a single family house that is dog friendly is a GREAT price for the area...

Commute time would be huge factor -- you don't want that big dog cooped up alone for too long!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
The reaction you got to places like Arlington Heights and Palatine may have been partly due to the commute, or partly because that *meh* reaction is pretty typical from people who live in the lakefront suburbs. The north shore from Evanston up to about Lake Bluff is very affluent, and very pretty, and very desirable in general. So no surprise people would say they like Winnetka and Highland Park - they're in the very top tier of desirable suburbs in Chicago as measured by real estate prices.

Arlington Heights and Palatine are nice places, but you will seldom hear people say they *love* those towns. They're nice, they have good schools and good suburban amenities, but they're they lack a certain sense of place; they're sort of the epitome of 1960s suburbanization with subdivisions, lots of big garage doors facing the streets, weak (though improving) downtown cores, lots of strip centers and big box stores, etc. Nothing wrong with those places, nothing unsafe, and lots of suburban convenience, but nothing to make someone really say those places are great.

I would say the other places you mention - Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield - fall somewhere in between the north shore feel and the Palatine/AH feel. Well, geographically they do fall in between, so maybe that's not a surprise.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,620 times
Steve- o I looked at some other threads and i learned u are so anit L.A. and ANTI CALI

Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Steve- o I looked at some other threads and i learned u are so anit L.A. and ANTI CALI
Wow, thats amazing.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:46 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times
Hey Golden - we actually live in Deerfield and don't find it unsafe or snobby. If your only criteria is a house in a safe area with a fenced back yard you might consider expanding your search to include Lincolnshire and Highland Park (Ravinia) as well as Wilmette. Vernon Hills might have some inexpensive housing for rent and doesn't seem like it would be unsafe. It's doesn't have too much culture, but it will probably feel pretty familiar coming from California, lots of developments although not as dense as California and then lots of strip malls and gallerias.

In our area we typically do not have gated communities although you can find a few here and there. Oh and don't forget Riverwoods, there may be some rental homes there, although I don't know if they will be in budget but you never know.

What part of California are you from? You wouldn't happen to be working in the Pharma Industry? There's a lot of that in Deerfield.

Welcome to Illinois! I'd be happy to answer any question I can for you.

Last edited by Calidreemer; 06-30-2008 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs