Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 41,628 times

Advertisements

i want to move to chigaco,but is it the right move?? want somewhere exciting,and always something to do,like chigaco,right??
can anyone help??whats better considering crime and everything??

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
"Chicagoland" or really northeast Illinois from what one poster described it as,

is SE. Michigan or Metro Detroit in some far off alternate universe or alternate fate, where the business and civic leaders chose economic diversity, public transportation, and dealing properly with racial tensions in the right way, which would've made it a "world class city"

Deep down I think Chicago is still a rustbelt city, simply one that has done Very well, and has successfully reinvented itself, and turned the city into a very nice one.

Given this, its no wonder many people from your area actually really Chicago, it kind of reminds them of home, just a much better version.

I saw this, because:

1. even in the most cosmpolitan, white collared demographics of Chicagoland obsession not only over major league sports and even college football is a big thing.
Take a look at the city, one of the hottest neighborhood revolves around a baseball stadium, Soldier Field is downtown for everyone to see. NYC: Yankee stadium is in the Bronx, other stadiums are in Queens or even in New Jersey, away from the core of Manahattan.

2. Big parts of the southside and south suburbs do have a rustbelt character. There is a vacant industrial space bigger than the Loop on the Calumet harbor. And yes, Northwest Indiana is part of Chicagoland, just as much as Naperville or Schaumburg.

3. Cuisine: Very diverse in Chicago, but a much stronger emphasis on steak and potatoes fare. (Deep dish pizza, polish sausage) Vegetarian/organic food, is not as big as say in the SF Bay area.

4. Chicago: For a city its size, rather few celebrities and famous people are seen walking around.

5. Chicago has historically had some bad racial tensions. Although thats changed and gotten much better than in Metro Detroit. And of course with racial tensions and segregation you get more crime.

So anyways, I think it won't be that different from where you are now, just much more opportunity in regards to both employment and things to do for fun.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Deep down I think Chicago is still a rustbelt city, simply one that has done Very well, and has successfully reinvented itself, and turned the city into a very nice one.
I dont think Chicago is rustbelt whatsoever. Some parts of the city might resemble rustbelt, but overall the city is not rustbelt. Heck, to many people coming from Detroit, etc, Chicago looks like the sunbelt! lol

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
While Tex?Il is mostly right I sorta wonder where you considering in SE Michigan. Detroit has doom written all over it. Ann Arbor is better, but only if you are going to some with the University or pharmacy research.

More infor about the kind of prices you can tolerate for housing, along with employment, also would help complete the picture...

Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont think Chicago is rustbelt whatsoever. Some parts of the city might resemble rustbelt, but overall the city is not rustbelt. Heck, to many people coming from Detroit, etc, Chicago looks like the sunbelt! lol
I would agree, too many of the taller buildings look like pictures from Houston or Miami. Tall sleek buildings hiding the cool historic gothic architecture.

Michigan avenue in the Loop is beatiful, but once you get north of the river, Sterile looking Streeterville covers up the Tribune, Wrigley building, etc.

With the economic libertarian attitudes, I would have to say there is a bit of

Either Chicago is historically as interesting as the east coast cities, or its more like Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. Can't have it both ways. Its that middle of the road character that is Chicago, that makes it difficult to understand.

Also the emphasis on sports from what I gather, is much more than on the coasts.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM

OK fine I confess.

I'm teach community college and I really don't like how occassionally some jock students will skip out on class go to a Cubs game and then complain why there not doing well.

Because of this, and since I started teaching, I look for ways to put down rapid sports fans, who aren't so much into education.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would agree, too many of the taller buildings look like pictures from Houston or Miami
I meant regarding the economy, etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM

220 posts, read 744,835 times
Chicagoland - hands down.

As a relatively recent economic refugee from Michigan (moved to Chicagoland 6 years ago), i can honestly say that Chicagoland beats Metro Detroit in most, if not every category - cultural attractions, vibrant central city, influx vs exodus of people/talent, transit, built environment, job creation vs job loss, etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Why are people responding to someone that cannot spell Chicago not only once, but twice?
Seems like a troll to me.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I gotta tell ya, maybe it's because I haven't lived here all that long, and probably mostly because I am a terrible typist, but I always spell Chicago wrong when I am typing quickly. Thank God Firefox puts the red squiggly lines under misspelled words, or you guys would all think I was a moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs