Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 26,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Bolingbrook has a considerable working class population and many Blacks too and is integrated both economically and racially therefore many bourgeois aren't keen on it. The neighborhoods ran the gamut from not so good apartment complexes to very nice houses as can be expected in a town that's not homogenized. There are many modest houses in Bolingbrook but the people that own them are earnest, hardworking and respectable.

There was no gang problem when I lived there a few years ago. Oh, you'd see kids hanging around some places but no big deal.

The schools are fine if your kids are fine. Both my daughters had no problem getting into U of I Urbana-Champaign from the public schools there; one girl was also accepted at Northwestern and U of Chicago but as I was paying the freight she went to U of I. Yeah, the schools are OK, they did their job.

Bolingbrook isn't cool but it's OK. Hell, when you get right down to it NO suburb is really cool anyway.

I could'nt have said it better.I've lived in Bolingbrook for years and never had any problems.Mostly depends on which area of Bolingbrook the person is looking to move into.Generally,it's a decent suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,495 times
I don't know what some of these people are talking about!? Bolingbrook is a GHETTO! I have lived here since 1979 & have personally watched this once beautiful, safe suburb go down the toilet! I have personally witnessed drug dealings at the local 7-11, 2 of my children were crime victims, 1 was mugged right inside the school gym & the other was robbed & beaten up right in front of the park while walking past it in daylight! My neighbors son was jumped right outside of the park district (beat up & mugged), that seems to be common around here! on the end of my block a man just murdered his live in girlfriend this summer! and previously we had a man kill his baby right on the next block! there are stabbings, gangs, and other murders too! OPEN YOUR EYES! Bolingbrook needs to put a limit on how much section 8 housing can reside here, because that is the biggest problem, too many project housing transfers from Chicago! right across the street from us is a section 8 rental, always the worst tenants! You would think people come to the suburbs to better themselves, but instead bring the ghetto with them! Bolingbrook high school is very unsafe & I am finally deciding to home school my kids because I have endured enough! Tear down Beaconridge for starters, that place is the worst! then you've got Preston street & Insbruck apts. Gangs hang out everyday on the end of my block & the police admit it's a problem here! I have heard gun shots! I wont even let my kids play outside anymore! As soon as I can I am moving, but not quick enough! what a shame that I have to leave my home!~Bolingbrook is a Ghetto, take off the blinders!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 40,380 times
Default Bolingbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midrash View Post
Hi, everytime my partner and I mention that we are considering Bolingbrook as the place to buy our home, we are given the "Oh ... you don't want to live in Bolingbrook" response over and over again.

We don't have kids so school district is not an issue for now. However, even if we were to have kids soon, from what I can tell, the Bolingbrook elementary schools (Builta or Pioneer - I am looking in the western part of Bolingbrook, west of Weber road) are more than satisfactory.

We don't have the biggest budget, and the value you get in Bolingbrook is fantastic. We are happy to commute, so I'm racking my brain to figure out why it gets such a bad reputation. Is it just because of Drew Peterson?

We've been told about gangs in the area, but I wonder if there is any truth to that or if its just hearsay. How is the crime rate?

As far as I can tell, it seems just fine to me, is there something I'm missing?
I think what people are doing is comparing us to Naperville or Plainfield. I often refer to those towns as "Home of the Rootie-Tootie, Rich and Snooty". Yes, there are parts of Bolingbrook that I would pass on, but isn't that true of any city, town or village? The Drew Peterson thing--one bad apple does not spoil the whole police force. There are some lovely, upscale homes in the area you and your partner are looking at. There are also very modest homes. I have been a lifelong resident of Bolingbrook. We moved here when I was nine years old and I am about to turn fifty. I love my neighborhood and I love my neighbors. Bolingbrook has a lot to offer and is a great deal easier on the wallet. Sure, we're a little more blue collar than Naperville or Plainfield but is that so bad? We have all the ammenities that you could want--plenty of shopping, restaurants and easy access to all the expressways and tollways. Our Mayor is a man of great vision and has helped grow Bolingbrook for the past 25 years. You and your partner would be welcome at my home anytime for a BBQ!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 40,380 times
The area you're speaking of at Lily Cache and 53 is government subsidized housing. Perhaps that's why it's reputation isn't steller. Due to the current economic crunch, a great deal of the lower income blue collar families are losing their homes leaving tons of bank owned and forclosed propeties to scoop up. I've already noticed a trend in my own subdivision of younger, white collar families buying these homes dirt cheap and fixing them up really, really nice. I live in the Winston Woods area--I have since I was 9. I've seen it go through a lot of changes and I think since hitting rock bottom it's currently on an upward trend. But if you prefer palatial looking estate style homes, there's always as stated in your posting, the area west of Weber Road near the golf course. P.S. Anywhere you go these days, there are gangs (Yes, even in Hinsdale!)

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times
Bolingbrook is hardly a ghetto. If you say it is, then you really have no clue what a ghetto is. As a Bolingbrook Police Officer, I can tell you we have some fairly rough parts. Some of the calls we handle you wouldn't believe, either violent, disgusting or inhumane. But overall the town is fine. Do we have gangs and gang members carrying guns and doing violent acts, we sure do. Is Naperville safer, sure it is. But I believe we are doing a good job at keeping up with things. Granted we are a little understaffed and underfunded in the current economy and with the fact the Mayor is not exactly a fan of us or the other public servants. But we have had zero murders this year and overall it's been a fairly boring summer. One of the quietest in years. But the reason for that is we have been VERY aggressive taking care of problems before they spread.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Interesting what some people's definition of "ghetto" is. I remember at Loyola a friend from Barrington thought East Rogers Park was or almost was "ghetto". I shook my head at the sheltered life this girl had lead and then explained that most people would call ERP a diverse neighborhood with some rough areas and some decent areas and that "ghetto" was some areas on the south side and west side. Wonder what she called Uptown? Around here the "whipping boy" is Wheeling. Yes some rough areas. Ghetto?! PUH-LEEZE

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

78 posts, read 229,246 times
It's sad really, Bolingbrook used to be really nice when I was young, but it has gone downhill quite a bit. That said, it seems half of it is ok and the other half is really bad. The schools are bad, that much I know for sure, and like other posters mentioned, you will have to consider the other kids that will be attending your child's school. You might want to consider Romeoville. It is right next door and alot nicer.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 PM

78 posts, read 229,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayitis! View Post
I don't know what some of these people are talking about!? Bolingbrook is a GHETTO! I have lived here since 1979 & have personally watched this once beautiful, safe suburb go down the toilet! I have personally witnessed drug dealings at the local 7-11, 2 of my children were crime victims, 1 was mugged right inside the school gym & the other was robbed & beaten up right in front of the park while walking past it in daylight! My neighbors son was jumped right outside of the park district (beat up & mugged), that seems to be common around here! on the end of my block a man just murdered his live in girlfriend this summer! and previously we had a man kill his baby right on the next block! there are stabbings, gangs, and other murders too! OPEN YOUR EYES! Bolingbrook needs to put a limit on how much section 8 housing can reside here, because that is the biggest problem, too many project housing transfers from Chicago! right across the street from us is a section 8 rental, always the worst tenants! You would think people come to the suburbs to better themselves, but instead bring the ghetto with them! Bolingbrook high school is very unsafe & I am finally deciding to home school my kids because I have endured enough! Tear down Beaconridge for starters, that place is the worst! then you've got Preston street & Insbruck apts. Gangs hang out everyday on the end of my block & the police admit it's a problem here! I have heard gun shots! I wont even let my kids play outside anymore! As soon as I can I am moving, but not quick enough! what a shame that I have to leave my home!~Bolingbrook is a Ghetto, take off the blinders!
Eeek, gads, you have watched the town go downhill in your area. So sad. I have to agree with you about the apartment complexes you named. I have not been a teenager for a very long time, but even back then my mother would have locked me away if I had gone anywhere near one of those complexes!! I haven't been back home in a while (live in AZ now, don't even get me started) but I remember half of the town being nice. In fact, the last place I lived was a brand new subdivision (new at the time, of course) at Lily Cache and Weber and that part of town was typical suburbia. It would be sad to know the bad element has sprawled down that way, too.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
You find a lot of city pride in these forums along with misinformation, intended or not. In my estimation, Irish Tom is a straight shooter about the likes of the various neioghborhoods. I would trust his judgement. If I remember correctly Bolingbrook is an older suburb of blue collar families - and there is nothing wrong with that at all. As far back as I can remember it was blue collar.

I don't know that crime in Bolingbrook is any worse or any better than any other blue collar community of the same size and approximate median income in America. The point is you can't win every war, but you can pick your battles. If you like the area spend some time there. Talk to the neighbors, school principal, priest or church secretary, chief of police, librarian, read the yellow pages in the local phone book, read the papers, and spend some time in the grocery stores. Then weigh your options; you'll know a ton more then you do now.
Good luck! . .

Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
linicx;15749801]You find a lot of city pride in these forums along with misinformation, intended or not. In my estimation, Irish Tom is a straight shooter about the likes of the various neioghborhoods. I would trust his judgement. If I remember correctly Bolingbrook is an older suburb of blue collar families - and there is nothing wrong with that at all. As far back as I can remember it was blue collar.
Bolingbrook is one of the younger suburbs, incorporated in the mid 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs