Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

I think it's also important to note, and what people are here don't like to admit, is that this is the internet and for some reason the relative anonymity tends to make people comfortable saying things they wouldn't likely feel comfortable saying to someone's face or in the typical mixed company of complete strangers.

This forum can be a useful tool for garnring opinions of certain places, but as a moderator here I see the absolute worst of people, and can't imagine what my opinion of Chicago might be if I only listened to the extremes spouted by people here. I find it troubling, and it's grown far worse over the year I've been on this forum.

Perhaps it's something in the water, but I suspect it may also have a lot to do with a certain black senator from Illinois running for president. The internet is a nasty place. The country at large is far more moderate than the extremes you find on a forum I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
I know u were'nt trying to be racist. But, saying that u dont want to live around a CERTAIN race, is in itself, a RACIST comment. People love to dress the issue up. Im more realistic about it. An all black neighborhood in the US (especially Chicago), will be WAY more dangerous than u are living in the UK. Im not even going to try getting into the politics about it. It is what it is, period. So thats why a comment like yours doesnt offend me one bit. Stay on the Norhside of the city and u and your family should be fine. Im a white guy who lived in the Austin neighborhood before. I dont advise u or your family try that. Stick to the northside.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
bottomline is chicago has horrible crime rates (even the suburbs) and with crime comes bitterness, racial undertones, and anger. these all lead to nothing but evil/negative things. that's why it seems like chicago is so segregated because the crime rate is through the roof! and people just naturally feel safer around their own kind.

if the chicago area didn't have so many crime ridden communities, the segregation wouldn't be such a big deal.

just realize that the chicago area is no walk in the park unless you are rich and can avoid the perils of society by using the almighty dollar.

the big difference from the UK and chicago is the criminals have guns here...machine guns (AK-47's) too.
As a famous sports announcer would say, "Holy Cow!"
AtNature, you make it seem as though you need armed guards to go ANYWHERE in metro Chicago. MOST DEFINITELY NOT TRUE!!. Yes there are a few areas I avoid, but the majority of the area is safe. Blitzen was looking at Naperville, Western Springs, Hinsdale and LaGrange. All safe areas. Now if there are small sections of these towns to turn your "street smarts radar" on a higher setting, please let us know. BUT THESE BROAD, UNSPECIFIC STATEMENTS ARE QUITE INACCURATE AND UNPRODUCTIVE. My comments are based on living here 43 years and having traveled extensively through many different Chicagoland areas.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I know u were'nt trying to be racist. But, saying that u dont want to live around a CERTAIN race, is in itself, a RACIST comment
I dont know about that. You can choose to not want to live around a certain race (due to lifestyle differences, etc), but have friends of that race, can you not? I have several black friends, but would I want to live in Cabrini? No. I dont find the OP's post racist whatsoever.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
As a famous sports announcer would say, "Holy Cow!"
AtNature, you make it seem as though you need armed guards to go ANYWHERE in metro Chicago. MOST DEFINITELY NOT TRUE!!. Yes there are a few areas I avoid, but the majority of the area is safe. Blitzen was looking at Naperville, Western Springs, Hinsdale and LaGrange. All safe areas. Now if there are small sections of these towns to turn your "street smarts radar" on a higher setting, please let us know. BUT THESE BROAD, UNSPECIFIC STATEMENTS ARE QUITE INACCURATE AND UNPRODUCTIVE. My comments are based on living here 43 years and having traveled extensively through many different Chicagoland areas.
blitzen, i must tell you that my experience is on the south side and south side suburbs like chicago heights. so it is only a small piece to the puzzle. i don't mean to cause you concern but you should be ready for anything like anyone should be when they move from one country to another.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Making irrational statements in an obvious attempt to scare someone is not preparing them for the reality of moving to the United States.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Making irrational statements in an obvious attempt to scare someone is not preparing them for the reality of moving to the United States.
it's not irrational if you look at the gang activity and crime statistics of the specific areas that i am mentioning. unforunately, it is reality. but like i mentioned previously, it is only a small piece of the puzzle.

we can't lie to this person and say it is like 1950's america. he became aware of the racial undertones and the major reason for racial undertones is crime in my opinion. in your opinion the racial undertones are because obama is running for president. i'll cease reinforcing my idea as to why racial undertones exist in light of giving way to others to express their opinions as to why racial undertones exist because for all we know i could be 100% wrong! or right...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
Steve -O Steve-O, I have yet, to meet a person, who has never had a racist thought in their life. Im not saying the guys running around with a shaved head and a Hilter tattoo on him. Alot of times a person might not even realize it. A woman walking down the street, sees a black man walking towards her, she then clinches her purse a little tighter. Maybe she dont realize she even did it. Thats all Im saying. Believe me, my man, I aint some liberal running around trying to hug and understand all the races. I just know, that some who will read his comment will take offense to it. How about how Obama was getting well over 90% of the black vote in the primaries . They asked some of his supporters why they voted for him. Some could not give one reason. Not ONE! Basically, cause he's a brother. I dont get mad about that. I dont blame them. Just dont get mad at white people for doing the same. Voting "THEIR" own kind in. The blacks use to say that Bill Clinton was the first black president. It take them long to turn on the Clintons when "ONE" of their own was running. I couldnt believe all the hate they had for Hillary. It was HATE too. Not just a difference in politics. The comments Ive in bars too. Over hearing blacks when they were talking about Obama. They act like there shouldnt even be an election. They act like Obama should just walk into the white house in Jan. Racism goes both ways too. Alot of people forget that.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 86,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think it's also important to note, and what people are here don't like to admit, is that this is the internet and for some reason the relative anonymity tends to make people comfortable saying things they wouldn't likely feel comfortable saying to someone's face or in the typical mixed company of complete strangers.

This forum can be a useful tool for garnring opinions of certain places, but as a moderator here I see the absolute worst of people, and can't imagine what my opinion of Chicago might be if I only listened to the extremes spouted by people here. I find it troubling, and it's grown far worse over the year I've been on this forum.

Perhaps it's something in the water, but I suspect it may also have a lot to do with a certain black senator from Illinois running for president. The internet is a nasty place. The country at large is far more moderate than the extremes you find on a forum I believe.
And this is exactly why its so good for me getting as many opinions as possible to help me form one of my own.

Thanks

Aswell, please let me tell you, and as i posted earlier, we are VERY VERY sheltered here in the UK and unless you go to somewhere like the East End of London or another big city (well, for the UK anyway), we are all a bot oblivious to issues about different cultures/nationalities/religions living together.
I will openly admit that i have been sheltered from all this.
I am no rich bloke either that has lived in an Ivory Tower until i decided to move out.

Im just a normal working class fella that has worked hard and pulled myself up.

Please also bare in mind that im not planning to move to Western Springs (hopefully) to be away from anyone besides white people. Im planning on that area for the reason that the finances will allow it (after 20 years of struggling to make ends meet) and that it seems the best place for me to bring up my daughters.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
I think the OP needs to realize that crime in the UK is nothing like the crime the US sees. The United States is unfortunantly no stranger to violent crime anywhere you go really. I mean seriously folks, what city in the US doesn't have the possibility of violent crime? It can strike anywhere at anytime; be it in a shopping mall in Nebraska, or a high school in a rich suburban mountain town, or a women's clothing store, or a fast food joint, or a factory/office building, etc. Point is it can happen anywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs