Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

The top tourist destination in Illinois is the City of Chicago in general. This article is a load of crap.

All you have to do is read it and it tells you it is full of it to begin with:

"Schaumburg's Woodfield Shopping Center receives an estimated 27 million visitors a year, of whom about 5 million come from 50 miles or more away."

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=233555&src=94

If anything at THE VERY BEST extremely liberal estimate the mall gets 5 million tourists a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think there's a bit of B.S. in that article. I don't think I'd call that a "tourist destination". How do they separate "tourists" from run-of-the-mill "shoppers"? If someone drives to Woodfield from Rockford or Madison are they really a tourist? I don't think so. Not unless they stay in a hotel and visit other sites in the area.
Agreed.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM

So in other words by their logic if I drive more than 50 miles to Indiana or Wisconsin to buy cigarettes,fireworks,or go to a strip club or whatever then drive back to Chicago I am a tourist? LMAO.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:19 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Could we worse. We could be stuck with the Mall of America in our midst.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I just wanted to tell you guys. They had an article in the Daily Herald today about the top tourist destinations in Illinois, and Woodfield Mall was #1! It had about 27 million visitors last year. Then came Gurnee Mills with 23, and then Navy Pier with a mear 3 million visitors. Somewhere around there. The Hancock Observatory was last with something thousand. Out of all the places, I can't believe that some mall came out at number one. I mean it's no Mall of America or anything like that, its just a place with a bunch of stores. It dosen't even have a movie theater in it!

So, anyways, I just think thats weird. There is probably some article about it somewhere on the net, I'm just too lazy to dig it up right now.
Aww, that's cute. Did Woodfield mall pay the paper to write that article? Or is that the kind of journalism you generally get out there in the suburbs?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM

461 posts, read 797,085 times
I remember hearing the same thing about 8 or 9 years ago. But it's true, I don't know how they distinguish shoppers from tourists. A friend from Michigan gets on the bus heading for Woodfield Mall a few times a year with a few of her friends, they certainly are not tourists...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
just read the article. I typically don't really trust the daily herald, but it said that it was on Crain's List. I give them more credibility. I guess I would call it a tourist destination, but can agree that they do have visitors! When we vacation, we often shop, but it is just part of the vacation. I wonder where the Chicago Premium Outlet Mall was on the list? that place is always packed.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 AM

76 posts, read 220,044 times
A lot of stores ask for zip codes now, maybe that is how they compiled the data?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I wonder where the Chicago Premium Outlet Mall was on the list? that place is always packed.
Is that the one out in Aurora? I went when it was just a few months old, and it wasn't bad at all, so it must be gaining popularity. Too bad. The last thing I want to do after driving all the way out to freakin' Aurora is to deal with mobs of shoppers.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The top tourist destination in Illinois is the City of Chicago in general. This article is a load of crap.
I can guarantee its the single biggest attraction. If youre looking at overall stats, yes, Chicago attracts far more visitors overall. But if youre looking at a single attraction? Theres no doubt in my mind that Woodfield draws more visitors than anything else on a single day. I suggest visiting the mall between Thanksgiving and Christmas and see for yourself, its ludicrous. Ive been there on days where I had to drive the parking lots for over 30 minutes (!!!!) to find a single spot. They have buses that run to the mall from overflow lots. Are they "tourists" though? I have no idea. I do see a buttload of out-of-state plates in there, but theyre probably relocatees or here on business, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs