Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Those night snows are magical.
Once the snow settles, it looks like diamonds shining in the moonlit sky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Climate of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winter in Chicago proves variable and fickle, but even in mild winters one will experience bouts of cold weather. The average Chicago winter produces 38.0 inches (94 cm) of snow. This is just an average; Chicago winters have produced between 9.8 and 89.7 inches (25cm and 221cm) of snow. Snow tends to fall in light accumulations of around 2 inches (5 cm), but about once per year Chicago experiences a storm that can produce 10 to 14 inches (25cm to 35cm) of snow in one day. Unlike across Lake Michigan in western Michigan or in northern Indiana, Chicago rarely gets lake-effect snow because prevailing westerlies that cross the region pick up moisture from Lake Michigan after passing Chicago. Rare northeasterly winds during the winter may deposit the sort of snowfall that one associates with nearby snowbelt cities such as Grand Rapids, Michigan, Kalamazoo, Michigan, and South Bend, Indiana with the more usual westerly winds. Temperatures can vary wildly within the span of one week, but extended periods of temperatures below 32°F (0°C) are not uncommon in January and February. The temperature in January averages about 29°F (-2°C) in the afternoon, and 14°F (-10°C) at night. Temperatures can be expected to drop below 0°F (-18°C) on 15 days throughout the winter season. Although rare, temperatures in Chicago even in the middle of winter can surpass 50°F (10°C).

This web page gives you stats on # of cloudy days, sunny days etc: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...s=003527&refer

From end of October through March, I expect mediocre weather. April, May is a mixed bag and June-Mid Oct. I count on nice weather. I agree that the cloudiness, which has sometimes gone on for 10 days in a row is a real downer. I actually like the cold, Canadian air masses because the sky is usually clear, crisp and sunny. When I retire, I hope to do as my parents and leave for somewhere warm after New Year's and return April/May. The wonderful trade-off is NO HURRICANES and more temperate and pleasant summers compared with FLA.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
And the distant scraping of a snow shovel down the block, then the kids come out to play, but all their shouts have a muted quality because of the snow, and scarves.

Well, at least that's something to look forward to.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
what i like best about winter is how serene and peaceful it is compared to the loud summer. there's not too many people outside during a chicago winter so when you go for a walk or are just outside, it's usually very peaceful. that's something the san diego's of the world never get to experience.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Don't be deceived. Chicago has two seasons: Hot and Cold. However, it is not as cold as the North Pole nor as hot as Africa. All kidding aside, it probably isn't nearly as cold as the average northern Atlantic Coast city. It is what you make of it. There are a lot of reasons to love Chicago; but if you hate smow and gloomy days stay where you are. Lake Michigan + heat = Chicago humidity.

the truth is between the hot and the cold there is a lot of good.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Lake Michigan + heat = Chicago humidity
Well ummm, the humidity comes from the southwest-like Havana IL. The lake is actually a cooling influence in the summer and winds off the lake during the summer are delightful

Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 PM

313 posts, read 596,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You would perish if you lived in the Northwest. Oregon has an entirely different species of people who tolerate 8-9 months of grey.
Some of us thrive on the sunless skies.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Some of us thrive on the sunless skies.
Oh I know, I have the relatives to prove it.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM

338 posts, read 613,832 times
The average snowfall in Chicago is 100 cm per winter season.
Winters are cold, snowy and windy in Chicago area.
Summers are warm & humid. Pleasant spring/fall.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You would perish if you lived in the Northwest. Oregon has an entirely different species of people who tolerate 8-9 months of grey.

You are so right. If I went more than 3-4 months without a single sunny day I'd be misreable! While I love a good rain, especially at night, I could not go 8-9 months likes those in the NW. On the flip side, I could not live somewhere where there was no change in season either. Fall is my favorite time of year and when fall is done I'm ready for winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs