Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM

26 posts, read 120,754 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area and are trying to decide between the above areas. We have small children so decent schools, family friendly areas, low crime, etc are important. Any thoughts on the two suburbs or differences to consider between the two??? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnmom View Post
We are relocating to the area and are trying to decide between the above areas. We have small children so decent schools, family friendly areas, low crime, etc are important. Any thoughts on the two suburbs or differences to consider between the two??? Thanks in advance for any advice!
We lived in Grayslake and wished we would have chosen Gurnee. We ended up doing all our shopping/movie going etc. in Gurnee. Plus, the schools are better. Of course, this all could be reversed since we moved away.

Gurnee was in the news recently with the whole Tank Johnson thing ... I'm sure the folks in Gurnee weren't too happy about that!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 PM

26 posts, read 120,754 times
Thank you for the reply! We could get more house in Grayslake, but the theme I seem to keep hearing is that schools are slightly better in Gurnee. We visited both areas and liked them fine, but thought there had to be some difference since Gurnee is more expensive. Thank you again for your input!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,526 times
great home for sale in Gurnee NOW! [url=http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4665-Middle_Gurnee_IL_60031_1115251459]4665 Middle, Gurnee, IL, 60031 - MLS #07414262 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®[/url]

Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,736 times
Property taxes are higher in Grayslake compared to Gurnee. Grayslake has a better down town area than Gurnee, but Grayslake has fewer shopping and dining options than Gurnee. Gurnee has lower property taxes due to higher business revenue.

Much of Grayslake feeds into Gurnee's Woodland school district. Warren and Grayslake High Schools are comparable. Gurnee's parks (including Gurnee park district and Warren township center) are world class. Gurnee has the Des Plaines river trail running through town and runs into Independence Grove---which is by far the best Forest Preserve in Lake County.

There are lots of activities for the kids in Gurnee----get a season pass to Six Flags and head over after dinner when other people are leaving the park, The hunt club aquatic center is a residents only water park, video games are available year round at Key Lime Cove and Rink side sports. Gurnee has an indoor skating rink and a year round indoor baseball facility.

Despite Gurnee being spread out, Gurnee has maintained a small town feel, especially around Viking Park and the old Grand ave. business district.

Bottom line is you won't be wrong if you pick either town....

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 36,109 times
Arbor Vista may be a good compromise - a quite sub-division with houses on one acre - a . Gurnee schools, Grayslake mailing address (unincorporated; taxes lower than Grayslake). Across the street from a charter school. Less than 1/2 mile to Metra train to Chicago or O'Hare. Borders miles of bike paths.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM

179 posts, read 496,585 times
Can you please stop spamming about Arbor Vista? The last five posts you've made have been spamming about Arbor Vista.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 36,109 times
I appreciate that you have noticed my last posts. However, I have looked through the entire lsit of comments for the last 5 months and only made posts where I thought that my answer/perspective was relevant to the question at hand. This does not constitute spamming. Please advise as to how what I have provided isn't of value to this forum - and why all my comments were deleted.

There are nuances to unincorporated areas that realtors/relocators may not be aware of (in terms of taxes, school districts, etc.) - which is what I was addressing.

I used this forum when I was relocating - and found it to be very informative - especially when people provided the kind of information that I am trying to provide.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 AM

231 posts, read 960,453 times
Could posters suggest other towns in the area that are family friendly, resonable taxes, good schools, safe, etc... My wife has a job opportunity in Grayslake, and I would like to look at RE listings to get a sense of the market. I've looked in Gurnee, libertyville, and Grayslake at houses in the 300 - 350 range.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I think you are going to have pretty slim pickins' in your price range in Libertyville, even the other towns are not exactly bargains.

If the job is in Grayslake it is not unreasonable to commute from points further west or north -- granted if you truly want good schools that will be the toughest thing to find w/o having a really long commute at that price point.

My personal recommendation would be to concentrate on the very best town in terms of school quality and shop like mad for the house with the most 'potential' -- fixer upppers are far and away the fastest way to build equity. You may be surprised how enjoyable to get a bargain and improve it over time...

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs