Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I don't know what people on here are talking about Evanston being part ghetto. According to the crime states, Evanston crime rate is below the US average and seem mostly safe. The crime rate is just higher than the other North Shore suburbs.
Go hang out in the part of Evanston that borders Rogers Park some day. The two are indistinguishable, and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
Evanston is going to have better public schools than Skokie. The Evanston magnet school program also tops any school you would find in the Niles Twp. or New Trier Twp. school districts. I live in the New Trier district and I am satisfied with it, but your budget would be better suited for housing in Evanston. You might also want to check out Skokie-Evanston (Skevanston) which is zip code 60203. It has Skokie taxes, park district, and services, but has the Evanston schools. Skevanston is less expensive than Evanston proper. Evanston is not going to have the crime that even upscale Los Angeles suburbs have, so keep that in mind.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Can you find rental in Wilmette with convenient acess to Linden Street CTA station? New Trier District and Wilmette PS are excellent. Just another opinion to include with the Skevanston, north Evanston and north Skokie advice. Many other good areas in Skokie to look at as well. West side, Lorel park area; SW Fairview area to name a few.The K-8 districts are very scattered, with at least 5 school districts compared to Evanstons 1 unified school district. I just suggest staying away from the apartment building heavy neighborhoods and looking in a predominantly single family home area.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
Southeast Evanston and Central East Evanston are very nice. They may be out of your range but you might find a nice townhome on South Blvd. That is a very nice family area. Most kids go to Lincoln Elementary and Nichols, but some do attend Bessie Rhodes (Timberidge) Magnet. There are many apartment buildings throughout Evanston and they are not bad at all. They just sold a home for $1,640,000 on Elmwood Avenue in Southcentral Evanston that was wedged between two apartment buildings. You should stay away from Section 8 buildings, but many of those are gone, thats what many people who say "stay away" are talking about.

One problem that I have with my experience with the New Trier district is that you can have the brightest kid, but all of the other kids are just as bright. It is the same in Evanston, but it still seems a little less competitive and more community and arts oriented.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Southeast Evanston and Central East Evanston are very nice. They may be out of your range but you might find a nice townhome on South Blvd. That is a very nice family area. Most kids go to Lincoln Elementary and Nichols, but some do attend Bessie Rhodes (Timberidge) Magnet. There are many apartment buildings throughout Evanston and they are not bad at all. They just sold a home for $1,640,000 on Elmwood Avenue in Southcentral Evanston that was wedged between two apartment buildings. You should stay away from Section 8 buildings, but many of those are gone, thats what many people who say "stay away" are talking about.

One problem that I have with my experience with the New Trier district is that you can have the brightest kid, but all of the other kids are just as bright. It is the same in Evanston, but it still seems a little less competitive and more community and arts oriented.
You seem quite knowlegeable about Evanston. Do you have any insights into Lincoln Elementary? My wife and I have looked at several condos in that district that seem just wonderful, and have heard good things about the school, but not real specifics. Any insights would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Data source please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
...The Evanston magnet school program also tops any school you would find in the Niles Twp. or New Trier Twp. school districts...
I don't doubt that they may be true, I'd just like the source of the data so that I can share it with others.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
If recession is as deep and prolonged as many predict, would expect increases in street crime, esp in any areas closer to poverty....and reduction in quality of any public schools...

Anecdotally, my sense is much street crime is not reported in most urban regions....apathy of police re: filing reports, unless injuries needing surgical repair or coroner; waste of time for victim to report crime....arguably difficult to compare pseudo-statistics

Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
If recession is as deep and prolonged as many predict, would expect increases in street crime, esp in any areas closer to poverty....and reduction in quality of any public schools...
Popular wisdom may say this, but stats show that this doesn't usually happen during economic downturns. Why? Areas with high poverty rates are already living in recession-like conditions. If you have three jobs flipping burgers, you are unlikely to be affected by the recession.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,234 times
The train is easier to take in Skokie.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Go hang out in the part of Evanston that borders Rogers Park some day. The two are indistinguishable, and not in a good way.
No kidding.

I wish people would stop using stats alone to base their judgments on areas. If one took out the crappy parts of Evanston its crime stats would probably be on the level of Winnetka or Highland Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs