Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:23 PM

50 posts, read 595,466 times

Advertisements

Did I mention....TORNADOES!!!!
They really call that tornado alley, I didn't just make that term up you know. It'll happen again no matter how built up it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM

102 posts, read 163,448 times
A tornado hit Oak Lawn years and years ago so what is your point? Anywhere can be tornado alley

Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,588 times
I have lived in Plainfield since September 1995. My family has been very happy here, and we have made some very good friends. Most people are very friendly and take pride in their property.

I presently have one child in elementary school and one in middle school. They each attend a Plainfield School District 202 school. I have been extremely happy with the education they are receiving. All of their teachers have been well-versed in current educational practices. The teachers and administrators I have met all have had a genuine interest in children. I am a teacher in Naperville. Yes, Naperville has wonderful schools....but, I truly believe that my children are getting a top-notch education in Plainfield School District 202.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM

55 posts, read 189,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
A tornado hit Oak Lawn years and years ago so what is your point? Anywhere can be tornado alley
No, a tornado may strike any where but that doesn't make any where tornado alley. Tornadoes concetrate in that area, that's what makes it tornado alley. Illinois is THE certified tornado capitol and a large number of them touched down in that general area SW of Chicago.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 16,449 times
You can also look into Romeoville, which also borders Plainfield. Alot of home are being built here too, stores as well.. The new Misty Ridge subdivision in Normantown Rd has some nice looking houses in the $400s..

Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 66,342 times
Hi,

I live in Plainfield for 5 years. I am amazed how fast growing w/new homes in the area. There are so many new homes being built for under $280,000 and the size of the homes are big compared to other town. If you had moved here 5 years ago we had the home for $180K w/2,000 sq. feet w/3 car garage, and etc. The only thing is I would watch what builder you're going w/because of quality materials. I can't say it is a fantastic place to live because we still have problems w/connecting routes/road. There is not enough restaurants, gas station, and some other things in our community.

If you had noticed that there are MORE banks taking over lots after lots that should have been reserved for commercial such as restuarants and etc. Let's just say that most of us are blue collars and low-middle class families who are buying homes out here.

I-55 has been congested for going North or South even w/the newest I-355 N/S bound and still have congested at rush hour. My husband get off work at 5 pm from (First Ave) and does not get home until about 6:45 to 7 PM every day. You're not talking about 40 mins drive easily to get home.

One of things you will noticed that it is always high wind gust out here. We get quite a bit of bad storm from times to times. I can't say that tornadoes will never be here but we came close to having one a few years ago.

If you are going to move South of Plainfield (better for tax property affordable because you will be paying Joliet taxes) that is a big PLUS. Again, there is no access to routes/roads and everyone is going to use the same "direction".

For those of you want a home that is over $280k and upper class I would suggest moving to Oswego where homes prices tags at $280 or up. They are also a growing community and still need to build new schools and etc. However, check the tax property before you move there because it is quite expensive and it is a very nice urban town unlike Plainfield is more of blue collars.

Best of luck w/moving!
D

Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no user name View Post
Did I mention....TORNADOES!!!!
They really call that tornado alley, I didn't just make that term up you know. It'll happen again no matter how built up it gets.
I agree, I did ask my husband BEFORE we move if we should be in this area. He did say it can happen anywhere. And ever since I wish we didn't move here because I get really scare when I am home alone w/the kids. Siren goes off almost just every Spring/Summer/Fall!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyirishtwins View Post
Hi,

I-55 has been congested for going North or South even w/the newest I-355 N/S bound and still have congested at rush hour. My husband get off work at 5 pm from (First Ave) and does not get home until about 6:45 to 7 PM every day. You're not talking about 40 mins drive easily to get home.

D
How are you guys doing with the higher fuel prices now? I'm just curious as to how much a commuter spends per week on gas. I imagine this is mostly city driving at slow speeds, which would logically eat up a lot of fuel.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Plainfield to First Ave (toward to Chicago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
How are you guys doing with the higher fuel prices now? I'm just curious as to how much a commuter spends per week on gas. I imagine this is mostly city driving at slow speeds, which would logically eat up a lot of fuel.
My husband says he put in $90 per week / 30 miles a day. It is very expensive. We learned a lesson is not to buy a brand new car when it eat up the mileage every day. And we will hope to buy a hybrid car/SUV to drive to work every day.

I hope my question helps!
D

Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 PM

72 posts, read 262,925 times
i been in this area for a few years and the closest thing we had to a tornado was a hail storm in may of 2005, it is not considered tornado alley anymore, you need to move into this day and age.....it was tornado alley back when it was all cornfields......maybe i am biased because i love it here, but if you walk down Michigan ave in the city on a snowy day you can get killed by giant icicle falling off a building, so should no one live there because it occurred once or twice a long time ago? hehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs