Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Why do so many homosexuals want to come to Illinois and the Chicago area? Does Illinois have any laws that I am not aware of that allow more rights to homosexuals than other states?
Why do so many heterosexuals want to come to Illinois and the Chicago area? The forums here are just full of heterosexual men and women who are interested in relocating. Are there special laws that allow more rights to heterosexuals than to other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
I don't think any chi. suburbs are gay friendly. I've never seen a single gay friendly store in my nearly 40 years. Chicago is gay friendly, but only on Halsted.
There was a clothing store for years in downtown Oak Park that catered to gays, transgendered, et al. Just closed about a year ago. (I think it was called Transformations (?).

Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
...Chicago is gay friendly, but only on Halsted.
And Broadway,Clark,Belmont,etc...

Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
There was a clothing store for years in downtown Oak Park that catered to gays, transgendered, et al. Just closed about a year ago. (I think it was called Transformations (?).
That sounds right. I think it was on Harlem?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
I don't think any chi. suburbs are gay friendly. I've never seen a single gay friendly store in my nearly 40 years. Chicago is gay friendly, but only on Halsted.
This is ridiculous - Oak Park, Evanston, and really, many suburbs are far more tolerant than not. "Boystown" obviously has a lot to offer, however, the entire north side is gay friendly, as are many suburbs. AND, in other suburbs, unless we're talking Wheaton (and I may be wrong here), many people DON"T CARE!!! LIve and let live. I think most collar suburbs are fine, most of the north side is fine, even southern suburbs are oK...the question is really which places are not gay friendly? I know couples in Hinsdale, Winnetka, Orland Park,.... Like the previous poster said..."we're not Missippi!"

Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That sounds right. I think it was on Harlem?
It was on Oak Park ave near Lake St. The owner relocated the business to Las Vegas.

Incidentally a new gay bar (Velvet Rope, 728 Lake St, Oak Park) opened just around the corner this year.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
And Broadway,Clark,Belmont,etc...
I meant the district, but if you know the particular streets, more power to you friend.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What do you mean ridiculous? In 40 years, I've never seen a single ad or sign that said "gay friendly". Tolerant is not the same as friendly. I've travelled all over the U.S. with my wife, and certain places are obviously gay friendly, the Chicago burbs don't fit that bill IMHO.
Well, as I've said many times before, you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
This is ridiculous - Oak Park, Evanston, and really, many suburbs are far more tolerant than not. "Boystown" obviously has a lot to offer, however, the entire north side is gay friendly, as are many suburbs. AND, in other suburbs, unless we're talking Wheaton (and I may be wrong here), many people DON"T CARE!!! LIve and let live. I think most collar suburbs are fine, most of the north side is fine, even southern suburbs are oK...the question is really which places are not gay friendly? I know couples in Hinsdale, Winnetka, Orland Park,.... Like the previous poster said..."we're not Missippi!"
This is probably the most accurate assessment of the suburbs. Even in a place like Wheaton, the conservative perception is more from the historical underpinnings of Wheaton College than what the majority of the residents in that town believe today - generally, the suburbs are significantly more socially progressive than they were even 10 years ago. While they aren't necessarily going to have rainbow flags waving all over the place, Chicagoans generally don't care about what people want to do in their private lives. There are certainly examples of bigots out there in the Chicago area, but it's not like some major Southern cities where there are frequently open public displays of anti-gay fervor. I would say the Chicago area is pretty comparable to the East Coast metro areas such as NYC and Boston on this issue, slightly less liberal than West Coast metro areas, and light years more liberal on this issue than Southern and Southwestern metro areas or other more culturally conservative Midwestern cities.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 PM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
This is probably the most accurate assessment of the suburbs. Even in a place like Wheaton, the conservative perception is more from the historical underpinnings of Wheaton College than what the majority of the residents in that town believe today - generally, the suburbs are significantly more socially progressive than they were even 10 years ago. While they aren't necessarily going to have rainbow flags waving all over the place, Chicagoans generally don't care about what people want to do in their private lives. There are certainly examples of bigots out there in the Chicago area, but it's not like some major Southern cities where there are frequently open public displays of anti-gay fervor. I would say the Chicago area is pretty comparable to the East Coast metro areas such as NYC and Boston on this issue, slightly less liberal than West Coast metro areas, and light years more liberal on this issue than Southern and Southwestern metro areas or other more culturally conservative Midwestern cities.
Yes, I agree. And to the previous poster who asked what is so ridiculous...when people say "just Halsted is gay friendly", the ridiculous part is that they haven't traveled up to Clark and Foster to see how Andersonville is quite gay friendly. So is Lincoln Square (WCTImes in CAfe Selmarie, gay musicians at Old Town School of FM, Go to Jury's and see a mix of gay and straight. I think the GOOD news is that really, there is less need for rainbow flags hanging everywhere...Chicago area is generally tolerant, and the explicity "friendly" is not limited to Halsted and Clark. Jeesh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs