Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times

Advertisements

By conservative suburbs, I am referring more to socially conservative- not ranking diversity as a major priority. And although no 1 town in Cook County or Dupage is all one way- some have a majority of either conservatives or liberals. I am looking for a town that is basically the opposite of everything Oak park stands for. Elmwood park was always pretty opposite from oak park in many ways of thinking. I know Orland Park is mostly socially conservative-what about Elmhurst or Itasca. More socially conservative than average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
By conservative suburbs, I am referring more to socially conservative- not ranking diversity as a major priority. And although no 1 town in Cook County or Dupage is all one way- some have a majority of either conservatives or liberals. I am looking for a town that is basically the opposite of everything Oak park stands for. Elmwood park was always pretty opposite from oak park in many ways of thinking. I know Orland Park is mostly socially conservative-what about Elmhurst or Itasca. More socially conservative than average?

Why don't you say what you mean? Just say "lily white" and be done with it.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Why don't you say what you mean? Just say "lily white" and be done with it.
And what is wrong with lily white? Sorry, that I appreciate low crime, good schools, and clean streets. I am sure many people are in my same boat. Going back to my original ?, is Elmhurst or Itasca more conservative than liberal? Hoping to hear from residents of these 2 towns, as well as Elmwood Park and Orland Park residents. I cannot understand why these do good liberals that really make my stomach sick feel the need to put their petty comments on this subject. I am looking for personal experiences from Elmhurst, Itasca, Elmwood Park, Orland Park, or any other suburb within 45 minutes of Chicago that might offer a more social conservative experience.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM

111 posts, read 381,199 times
I can't speak to any of the suburbs that you identified, but consider this.

Your best bet for a "socially conservative" suburb--that is, a community where (by way of example) the majority of people are against abortion, gay marriage and gun control and for prayer in school--will probably be somewhere in the exurban area, perhaps beyond your 45 minute drive. I'm thinking of places like Plainfield, Oswego, and the like. However, don't expect these areas to remain as lily-white as you would like.

To be blunt, most social conservatives are not at the top of the socio-economic scale. If a anti-abortion, home-schooling family making under 100k per year can buy a 250-300k home out in the exurbs, so can the working class hispanics and African American families who will likely be hot on their tails.

If you want to live in a lily white suburb, you'll likely need to compromise on your "social conservative" values. There's certainly plenty of all-white conservative suburbs, but I think you'll find them to be conservatives of the fiscal kind, not the social kind.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Quote:
And what is wrong with lily white? Sorry, that I appreciate low crime, good schools, and clean streets. I am sure many people are in my same boat. Going back to my original ?, is Elmhurst or Itasca more conservative than liberal? Hoping to hear from residents of these 2 towns, as well as Elmwood Park and Orland Park residents. I cannot understand why these do good liberals that really make my stomach sick feel the need to put their petty comments on this subject. I am looking for personal experiences from Elmhurst, Itasca, Elmwood Park, Orland Park, or any other suburb within 45 minutes of Chicago that might offer a more social conservative experience.

You seem to think that only "lily-white" areas only have low crime, clean streets, and good schools, and if a minority moves in the whole area goes to hell.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
I can't speak to any of the suburbs that you identified, but consider this.

Your best bet for a "socially conservative" suburb--that is, a community where (by way of example) the majority of people are against abortion, gay marriage and gun control and for prayer in school--will probably be somewhere in the exurban area, perhaps beyond your 45 minute drive. I'm thinking of places like Plainfield, Oswego, and the like. However, don't expect these areas to remain as lily-white as you would like.

To be blunt, most social conservatives are not at the top of the socio-economic scale. If a anti-abortion, home-schooling family making under 100k per year can buy a 250-300k home out in the exurbs, so can the working class hispanics and African American families who will likely be hot on their tails.

If you want to live in a lily white suburb, you'll likely need to compromise on your "social conservative" values. There's certainly plenty of all-white conservative suburbs, but I think you'll find them to be conservatives of the fiscal kind, not the social kind.
And a lot of these fiscal conservative, upper income suburbs have lots of yellow and brown skin folks from Asia as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post

l'd love to see some hard statistics that show that "most social conservatives are not at the top of the socio-economic scale." When I lived in Washington D.C., I remember Mrs. Clinton saying that "social conservatives are low-income, undereducated, and easy to command." The White House was deluged with calls, emails, and letters from all over the country. She apologized days later.

My family is socially conservative and we are at the top of the scale when it comes to education. We're in the top 8% in terms of income. And we live in Cicero, so go figure.

And I like to characterize myself as a pro-life homeschooler.

Please don't stereotype conservative people. We come in all shapes, sizes, faiths, colors, and sexual orientation. Conservatives are no more a monolith than Liberals.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
And a lot of these fiscal conservative, upper income suburbs have lots of yellow and brown skin folks from Asia as well.
Made many points regarding the majority of asians being a huge asset to these towns as the majority of them are highly educated, hard working people who in our state rarely take government handouts. I will take one as a neighbor anyday. Rarely see a town in Illinois go bad because of Asians.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

131 posts, read 356,077 times
Quote:
Rarely see a town in Illinois go bad because of Asians.
ooh I want to hear about these rare instances when those pesky Asians make a town go bad!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
ooh I want to hear about these rare instances when those pesky Asians make a town go bad!

There's a real violent Hmong gang known as Menace of Destruction, with a few thousand members in the USA, spread across a number of states. I imagine this would qualify as such an instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs