Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 AM

19 posts, read 85,594 times

Advertisements

How is Winnetka distinct from the towns around it?

How convenient is it to live there? Can you walk to grocery stores and do other errands by foot? Is there a vegetable market conveniently located there? Seems like most chain stores are a bit of a distance.

Looks like homes are more pricey and I am wondering what you get for the extra cost to live there...Is it more beautiful than, say, Glenview or Northbrook? What are the traffic patterns like, especially going west and south? How would you describe the personality of the town?

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 AM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
It's paradise. When the rest of the area is cloudy or there's rain, there's sunshine and rainbows in Winnetka. People give you money on the street and open doors for you. A wink and a nod, and you ride the train or taxi's for free. The streets of Winnetka are paved with gold. The road reflectors have Swarovski crystals in them. There are no potholes, they salt every street and they rinse your car of road salt with a big machine that drives around town.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
If you worship on Saturday, it'll help. Unless you are a plain old Isrealite. You might consider changing your name at least to Levi Seriously, Winnetka is a goregous town, it's not all Jewish, it's a bit pretentious, the high school is outstanding and everything you would need is located downtown. The commute downtown is a bit cumbersome as you have to take Tower or Willow west away from the city to 94 (although riding the Metra eliminates this). Drive down Green Bay Rd and you'll find everything you need.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Yes, I would say its more beautiful then Northbrook or Glenview, easily.
Yes, you can walk to the very nice downtown village area where there are alot of stores/shopping.restaraunts, schools,library,lake. I would imagine veggies are in the grocery store. Dont know of a specific veggie store. On the lake, excellent schools make for more pricey I would guess.Very desirable area.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Arguably Eastern Winnetka and LakeForest are Chic's two most desirable suburbs

Winnetka's advantages are shorter drive to Loop (where vast majority of Chic's high-income jobs are) and New Trier schools

LF is arguably more elegant than Winnetka nr lakefront....larger lot sizes, more elegant curvy streets, etc....but public schools suck in LF and longer drive to Loop

Both suburbs share a duopoly for Chic's most powerful suburban residents, esp those w/young families...would argue these two suburbs offer a QOL only rivaled by best suburbs of SiliconValley (Woodside) and NYC (Greenwich); ironically, land costs in lakefront Winnetka/LF generally exceed those of best areas of Woodside/Greenwich....rest of world's suburbs pale in comparative infrastructure/QOL

Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Arguably Eastern Winnetka and LakeForest are Chic's two most desirable suburbs

Winnetka's advantages are shorter drive to Loop (where vast majority of Chic's high-income jobs are) and New Trier schools

LF is arguably more elegant than Winnetka nr lakefront....larger lot sizes, more elegant curvy streets, etc....but public schools suck in LF and longer drive to Loop

Both suburbs share a duopoly for Chic's most powerful suburban residents, esp those w/young families...would argue these two suburbs offer a QOL only rivaled by best suburbs of SiliconValley (Woodside) and NYC (Greenwich); ironically, land costs in lakefront Winnetka/LF generally exceed those of best areas of Woodside/Greenwich....rest of world's suburbs pale in comparative infrastructure/QOL
I agree with much of your post, except western Winnetka include Indian Hill & Wodley Road, two of Winnetka's most prestegious neighborhoods.

OP there is NO east/west traffic. The lake sort of stops traffic. There are two local grocery stores in Winnetka, and two next door in Glencoe.

Last edited by Anthera; 02-02-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
You could pretty much take your pick of towns from Winnetka to Lake Forest and not go wrong. All pricey but then you knew that. They all coddle the rich so if you've got the ticket to ride you're all set.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times
Having come from east Winnetka, attended New Trier, then moved to the city, I can say that I really didn't take how great it was for granted. I guess that's pretty typical of people that grow up around there.

Walking/jogging/driving down Sheridan Rd. is great, good views of lake and stunning houses.

I will say there are a lot of arrogant people and I'd never want to work there and deal with them (I did). And not to be sexist, but the women around there cannot drive.

I will say that I think the drug usage has gotten higher since I left (4-5 years ago). This is what I see and what I hear from people who attend NTHS.

Overall I'd say it is the Beverly Hills of Chicago.

Edit: traffic going west is rarely a problem except around rush hour, and it is definitely better looking than Northbrook and Glenview.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
"By Sarah Schulte

February 26, 2009 (WINNETKA, Ill.) (WLS) -- Several north suburban teenagers allegedly turned an unoccupied home in Winnetka into their own party house, causing more than $10,000 in damage.

Police say the teens drank alcohol, smoked and partied for several days before it was discovered they were using the home.

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Milwaukee's Best beer cans all over the house, clothes dumped everywhere along with cigarette butts. Police say the trashed Winnetka home is the work of several uninvited high school students..."

And get away with it...

Teens turn Winnetka home into party house - 2/26/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
The public schools in LF suck? That can't be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs