Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 AM

109 posts, read 439,809 times

Advertisements

So i moved from elmwood park to melrose park. I have lived here for six months now here is what i have found. Most of the property consist of big older houses with huge front and back yards. The area is a diverse area with kind of a country feel to it. I live in the unincorporated part of melrose park, there are no sidewalks but you are still only walking distance to the park and store.

At night its very quiet and peaceful, and it is a huge suprise because i am walking distance from mannheim road. They have gone to great measures to clean up this area. You do still see a street walker here and there on mannhiem , they were in elmwood park as well on grand ave from time to time. Leyden township is taking a no acceptence to this behavior policy and a notice went out that not only will the prositute be arrested the other party and buisness will be shut down as well.

I thought i would give some insight on this area as i am very happy with my move.

I have one kid in the middle school here and she loves it. So i really don't have a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Where will they go to high school? Not a good one if you choose public. You actually went backwards when moving from Elmwood Park to Melrose- most times its the opposite. I know of 4 families that moved from Melrose to Elmwood- to escape the gangs and school system- but you are the first to move from Elmwood to Melrose that I have heard. Hopefully you speak Spanish- as the majority of the town does.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 AM

109 posts, read 439,809 times
Default moving from elmwood park

the family across the street just moved from elmwood park also. The mannheim school district is very strict, my daughter is a honor student and is doing very well.

Elmwood park has allot of spanish people also, that doesn't bother me one bit. Actually melrose park is seeing alot of new families move in. I have walked down the street to the park and all i see is kids playing . West leyden just had the only kid that scored a perfect s.a.t score . It has been a nice surprise.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Leyden Township/Melrose Park

That is not a great area. I used to date a girl who lived just east of Mannheim, just south of Fullerton. The public schools are not good and getting worse. Elmwood Park is much better. She has a son who has friends who attend Walter Lutheran in Melrose Park (her son attends Chicago musis school downtown). No one I know speaks favorably of the public schools in Melrose Park/Stone Park/Northlake/Leyden Township.

Mannheim school district strict? It is good that your daughter is an honor student but being an honor student at Mannheim school district is comparable to being a B/C student at Oak Park/River Forest, maybe worse.

Very few people who attend public school in Melrose Park go on to college, though some do study at places like Triton. You will find very few that go to places like University of Illinois, Northwestern, Depauw, or Loyola, or University of Chicago.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
the family across the street just moved from elmwood park also. The mannheim school district is very strict, my daughter is a honor student and is doing very well.

Elmwood park has allot of spanish people also, that doesn't bother me one bit. Actually melrose park is seeing alot of new families move in. I have walked down the street to the park and all i see is kids playing . West leyden just had the only kid that scored a perfect s.a.t score . It has been a nice surprise.
Melrose Park has more than twice the percentage of Spanish people in their town in comparison to Elmwood Park- and are any of the new families American who have recently moved to Melrose. I am sorry, but the only surprise you will have in this town is how bad its become in the past 20 years. The schools basically bite- look at the stats- try school digger.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs