Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times

Advertisements

No. Although some areas out here are monotonous, there are plenty of areas that look very similar to Chicago single family, residential neighborhoods. But only the City has the vibe of areas like Uptown. I would feel claustrophobic in Uptown. Now 25 years ago, I really enjoyed East Rogers Park.
I must be on a grumpy streak, over sensitive to what I perceive as "drama queen" statements about the NW burbs. Different approach; I typically just say I don't like an area instead of saying I would die inside or slit my wrists(from another thread)if I had to live in an area I don't like. Be gentle with me, I am in a household with 3 females and the only male is a cat-so that cancels out. AND I had to sit through a dance recital AND a chick-flick Saturday.......so sometimes the emotional statements push me over the edge & I don't reflect before I react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Thumbs up With you all the way...

I really really really love my current home and town, but I completely understand that it is NOT for everybody. (and it ain't even near Mt. P) I sorta apply that same logic to EVERYONE else too -- I mean when I am working with a younger couple or relocated family to sort out WHERE they want to live I definitely try to subtly get them to understand the "location location location" mantra has two sides to it: If you TOTALLY fall in love with a house that is NOT in the town you WANT, there is an equally good chance that SOME OTHER buyer down the road will be more than willing to make the same compromise so long as the you maintain your home to competitive with its likely neighbors, AND if ABSOLUTELY must have a certain address then you will likely make some compromises on the specific homes that may be available to, which is likely to happen down the road when you decide to move so long as you BOTH actively work to maintain those qualities of the area that attracted you AND maintain your home's individual desirability...

Can I see my self making the SAME choices I lay out for clients? Mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
No. Although some areas out here are monotonous, there are plenty of areas that look very similar to Chicago single family, residential neighborhoods. But only the City has the vibe of areas like Uptown. I would feel claustrophobic in Uptown. Now 25 years ago, I really enjoyed East Rogers Park.
I must be on a grumpy streak, over sensitive to what I perceive as "drama queen" statements about the NW burbs. Different approach; I typically just say I don't like an area instead of saying I would die inside or slit my wrists(from another thread)if I had to live in an area I don't like. Be gentle with me, I am in a household with 3 females and the only male is a cat-so that cancels out. AND I had to sit through a dance recital AND a chick-flick Saturday.......so sometimes the emotional statements push me over the edge & I don't reflect before I react.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,415 times
No. Not working anywhere near stop. That's what I was hoping for, but no such luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I can handle an "Oh Vey". Don't worry about that. My comment was meant to be humorous and was a play on the language of an earlier comment. But yeah, there was an element of truth to it as far as my own feelings about Mount Prospect are concerned. Though I'd rather raise my kids there than, say, Wilson and Broadway in Uptown! And sure, some people love boring characterless suburban subdivisions.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Well I certainly dis-like boring characterless subdivisions. Frankly, I don't see that in most of the neighborhoods in AH, Mt. Prospect, Prospect Heights, Wheeling and Palatine. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. Maybe we simply have spent time in different sections. For example: if I visited Evanston and drove up Custer to Main St. and back down again, I would have a much different view of Evanston compared with doing the same drive to and from Main St. via Sheridan Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs