Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,577 times

Advertisements

Although I live in Wisconsin, I am writing on behalf of my sister whose kids went to Morton West and did terrible to say the least. Her 17 year old son just graduated from Lincoln Challenge Academy because although he was a "junior" at Morton West, he hardly had the credits to be a sophomore and it was obvious that he was never going to graduate. No drug trouble or police trouble, just bombed at school although he scored very high on the Illinois state tests. Also to be clear, we are talking about a white family here with an annual income of over $100,000.

My niece did fine in middle school and upon starting high school she had aspirations (probably unrealistic) of going to Harvard or Yale. She just finished her freshman year and like her brother, totally bombed out, getting a 1.33 average and ranking 622 in a class of 889, flunking 2 classes that she has to make up. Her mom is pulling the plug early on her and she is going to be out of Morton West. Apparently that school plays games with the No Child Left Behind Law and every few years pulls out of Title I funding in order to be labelled as failing. My sister had inquired about getting my neice transferred like she should have been able to, but the school gave her the run around.

Here is the dilemma: my sister wants to get her daughter out of Morton West and into a private school, but now her grades are so bad that there will be some schools that will refuse her on that basis. Cost is also a factor since my sister and her husband are pouring everything they have into making their house payment. So basically she is looking at a geographic area where she can drop my niece off on her way to work in north Chicago. So that would make it reasonably to the north, west, and south of the Berwyn area and pretty wide open to the east towards Chicago. She wants to find somewhere that the girl could take the train home when she needs to.

So any recommendations would be welcome. I realize that most of the schools will probably be religious affiliated, but that's fine too. It's hard to find hard and fast facts and info about private schools online the way you can find out about public schools. So it's difficult to pick a school out of the blue.
It's too bad she does not live where I do in western Wisconsin because we have some great public schools here.

Thanks in advance, I'll be watching for replies.

Last edited by elocs; 07-06-2006 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM

13 posts, read 85,529 times
I went to Trinity (all girls) in River Forest, I loved it and did pretty well. They give you the one on one attention you need. They are also pretty sympathetic so might let your neice in or maybe she should just do her Freshman year over I actually transferred from another school and was called a Freshman Plus so by my senior year I could have graduated after the first semester. It wasn't that big of deal and nobody would know since the kids there are from all over. Where in Berwyn does your sister live? I took the El and a bus home every day. We live in Berwyn now and are moving out, is that a possibility for your sister? The town is getting worse not better. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,573 times
[moderator CUT]

BTW, some of area's private schools are Fenwick, Nazareth, St. Joe's and Trinity, but none of them are going to accept a child who can't pull good grades at Morton.

Last BTW - I love Berwyn - I think it's a fantastic place to raise a family, and I have great hope for the continued improvement of it's schools. So do many of Berwyn's citizens who are INVOLVED in their children's educations.

Last edited by Marka; 08-05-2006 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: rude post

Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,345 times
Berrrrrwyn
sorry had to do that, on with the discussion.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,353 times
Default Morton West

I am sorry I do not have a solution for you but I came across this post for the same reason. My older son attended Morton West for freshman year and was on the football team. Sophmore year was HORRIBLE. The teachers are not doing their jobs. He left Morton by November and was homescooled.
My youngest just finished freshman year and I came across this post while looking for something more than Morton. I agree that the private schools are not going to want to chance it now. Does anyone have any ideas? Private schools, small home school groups that have highschool? Open to any suggestions right now.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
It's unfortunate that your son didn't do well. Most of the teachers I know who work for MW are very dedicated, smart and take their jobs seriously. I think the answer lies in parental involvement. If parents stay involved in their child's education, he or she can in most cases get a good education at Morton West. Unfortunately, a lot of parents do not, which causes problems. And sometimes, schools just do not work out.

Private schools tend to offer a better quality education, IMHO. That's where my kids are ultimately going to end up. But again, it's the same thing. Parents who stay involved are going to get the best results.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM

153 posts, read 209,766 times
You can try Roycemore of Evanston. It is a college prep school that has a 100% graduation rate. The school is pretty selective but if you are wiling to pay the twenty-thousand per year and make a donation they would be happy to let you in. Welcome to the North Shore!

Roycemore Private School in Evanston Illinois Serving the North Shore

Old 07-29-2007, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 31,344 times
Default Morton West, Berwyn IL

I don't know the riddle of Morton West, but I do not think the teachers are blameless. Maybe it's better now, but in the past there were some that would whine to the class about their parents "worthlessness". I do not know if it was justified, but it was not appropriate. I was in an AP class at the time, and I was hurt by that. Despite the overall weakness at Morton West, I did very well in school-- and it was all me. My parents did care and were not "on drugs" as some bad attitude teachers suggest. But, they were not involved, they are foreign-born and did not know how to help. I asked a guidance counselor to help and, in retrospect, he was jealous and gave me bad advice. I was hurt by that, I did not make the best college choice, but I do have a good job now. I say stay in Berwyn, it is nice and the homes are pretty, but DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS GO TO HS THERE!!. That's all. The elementary schools are good and the teachers do care, athough some were rather condescending to my mother about her accent, that hurt too. But, do not discount Berwyn because of the high school issues, the high school went bad in the late 70's... I do not know why. One of the whiney teachers ( they all whined about something) said Morton West had once been one of the best high schools in the state and it was sad that it was not anymore-- in 1978. BTW, the adminstration playing games is no new thing-- that was the rumor back in the day as to why they would not give us a snow day -- during the blizzard of '79. Trinity, Fenwick and Nazareth are all good choices... apply before getting any bad marks at MW. Are you sure the middle school isn't weak? In my day I was challenged K-6 and then my middle school reeked.. they had 'no program' for me... I read encyclopedias..... I had a hard time my first semester at MW-- I got a C! because I had become a little lazy....and the peer pressure said-- party!...I got my act together-- because I had the college dream-- thanks to my parents! and I graduated in the top0.02%--- Your child can do well..too... get them the right school and guidance from you not a silly counselor/teacher from MW

Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 PM

338 posts, read 616,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pntnike View Post
I am sorry I do not have a solution for you but I came across this post for the same reason. My older son attended Morton West for freshman year and was on the football team. Sophmore year was HORRIBLE. The teachers are not doing their jobs. He left Morton by November and was homescooled.
My youngest just finished freshman year and I came across this post while looking for something more than Morton. I agree that the private schools are not going to want to chance it now. Does anyone have any ideas? Private schools, small home school groups that have highschool? Open to any suggestions right now.
There are several homeschool groups in the area. And there are families that homeschool their highschoolers. A few homeschooled highschool grads have gone on to good universities. If you are interested in more info just send me a private email.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,926 times
I am a recent graduate of Morton West, in 2007, and I think the teachers there are amazing. They go out of their way to help students and they are understanding. they also give many opportunities to raise your grade. High school is what you make of it. I graduated in the top 25, in honors classes, and with 3.8 grade point average. So obviously your niece and nephew really do not care about their performance in the class room. I am going to college to become a teacher and my goal is teach at Morton West. So before you decide to ridicule Morton West you should know that there are many success stories and that students like your niece and nephew are what gives Morton West its bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs