Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

I wonder what lies behind the gates on some of those Barrington neighborhoods.
I can think of only two sub divisions, Wynstone (No. Barrington) and The Glen ( South Barrington) that are gated. Many of the roads however, in Barrington Hills are marked "private" but not manned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 AM

202 posts, read 406,461 times
I found this info after accidentally driving through Barrington Hills last weekend on my way north to Island Lake.
It was a beautiful drive through both rolling, wooden and open land!

"The rural-suburban area is part of the greater Barrington area and many affluent residents live there on large estates within commuting distance of Chicago. There is a minimum 5-acre (20,000 m2) zoning restriction on building houses and both farming and horse raising are allowed. Homes are on individual septic system and water wells. The zoning restrictions are sometimes interpreted as protecting the residents "from the lower classes."[3] The Zoning Ordinance of the Village was adopted in 1963 but the existence of equestrian farms predate the Village by decades."

Lower classes Hehe, I was not affronted, just amused.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
I found this info after accidentally driving through Barrington Hills last weekend on my way north to Island Lake.
It was a beautiful drive through both rolling, wooden and open land!

"The rural-suburban area is part of the greater Barrington area and many affluent residents live there on large estates within commuting distance of Chicago. There is a minimum 5-acre (20,000 m2) zoning restriction on building houses and both farming and horse raising are allowed. Homes are on individual septic system and water wells. The zoning restrictions are sometimes interpreted as protecting the residents "from the lower classes."[3] The Zoning Ordinance of the Village was adopted in 1963 but the existence of equestrian farms predate the Village by decades."

Lower classes Hehe, I was not affronted, just amused.
Why would anyone be affronted by that unless they considered themselves part of the lower classes?

You lifted a paragraph without citing the source (which btw was not anyone in Barrington Hills).

Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Not all of Barrington Hills is 5 acre zoning and most definitely not all properties are zoned for horses.

There are many homes on one acre+/- lots and the best kept secret of the Hills is an HOA with zero lot lines.

Many properties do however, have conservation deeds and cannot be sub-divided despite having 20+ acres.

The majority of folk in the Hills prefer open spaces and land and will not consider revisions to zoning to allow development on smaller lots. It has nothing to do with class and all to do with preserving open spaces and "the country" feel of the community.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

202 posts, read 406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Why would anyone be affronted by that unless they considered themselves part of the lower classes?

You lifted a paragraph without citing the source (which btw was not anyone in Barrington Hills).
My apologies -- the paragraph came from Wikipedia, not anyone on C-D.

I am definitely part of that "lower class" in that I could never afford a multi-million dollar home. Kudos to the zoning though! I believe our rural, country settings should be kept that way. Too much has been destroyed.

If I ever were to have a home on a lot of land (which I would love!) I'd have to move somewhere much cheaper than this area. ... perhaps one day.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM

The most charming and historic Haeger school house ( circa 1842), on 1.5 acres, is listed for sale at $450K. It includes its own deeded settler's cemetary.

This is one of 7 properties listed in the Hills, under $500K.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 36,830 times
Default In Chicago "Old Money" means North Shore, with a few exceptions in Barrington Hills and Hinsdale

[quote=Steve-o;9390339]There is just as much old money in areas of the Barringtons as anything on the North Shore.

According to the Book "Privilege, Power, and Place: The Geography of the American Upper Class", there are 900 families in the Social Register on the North Shore and a grand total of 14 in all of the Barringtons. So the answer is a big No in terms of there being a lot of "old money" in the Barringtons. Not even close. Stephen R. Higley Ph.D.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
[quote=Eagle640;11512497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There is just as much old money in areas of the Barringtons as anything on the North Shore.

According to the Book "Privilege, Power, and Place: The Geography of the American Upper Class", there are 900 families in the Social Register on the North Shore and a grand total of 14 in all of the Barringtons. So the answer is a big No in terms of there being a lot of "old money" in the Barringtons. Not even close. Stephen R. Higley Ph.D.
So did this particular author/researcher go door-to-door and cover EVERY house in the Barringtons to collect his data?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:25 PM

216 posts, read 645,811 times
Just my two cents but I think the upper crust over in the Barrington area would just rather NOT be listed anywhere. Can't really blame them.
There are gates and gate houses over there that are worth more than my car or house!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM

20 posts, read 54,006 times
There is tons of old money in Barrington. The median income is not as high there as in some suburbs because many of those houses have been handed down to second and third generations that don't make as much as someone who lives in Hinsdale and has to afford a $10,000/month mortgage. That's why it gets left off those lists - many of them are based on per family and per capita income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs