Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM

223 posts, read 757,409 times

Advertisements

We have a 0.3 acres vacant lot for sale in Geneva, IL. It is priced below tax value ($89,000) and is within short distance of the new Peck Recreation Center and Randall Rd for shopping.

It is ready to build and has utilities already on property. It has been listed with an real estate agent for about 3 months and have not received an offer. We understand the market is slow.

How can I increase visibility in the Fox Valley area to prospective buyers/investors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Real estate agents typically are more effective selling homes than "buildable lots".

You might want to directly contact builders, and you may have to change your marketing focus. If the neighborhood cannot support a home of about $400K (which is seems hard to believe, but location is everything...) you may be better off trying to sell the land to adjacent property owners for them to expand their yard. If there are 3 sides to sell off and you could get $30K from each that would be a relatively good transaction.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Real estate agents typically are more effective selling homes than "buildable lots".

You might want to directly contact builders, and you may have to change your marketing focus. If the neighborhood cannot support a home of about $400K (which is seems hard to believe, but location is everything...) you may be better off trying to sell the land to adjacent property owners for them to expand their yard. If there are 3 sides to sell off and you could get $30K from each that would be a relatively good transaction.
I didn't think about contacting adjacent property owners, that's an interesting idea, although I'm not sure if there are any restrictions about subdividing lots, or how complicated it is. I know the lot west of us is still owned by the original developer of the subdivision, I guess it would be kind of silly if they bought it back .

I did get a list a builders that recently sold/bought vacant land in Geneva a a couple of weeks ago. I emailed a few, and asked our agent to contact the ones that didn't have a website. I am also thinking of possibly setting a Facebook page, it might be gimmicky, but hey I guess I have nothing to lose...

Also for what is worth, the zillow/cyberhomes estimates for houses in the same subdivision hover around 300-350k, with the most recent sale of ~$350k about a year ago.

I saw a couple of days ago in the news that new house construction is up again (nationwide), so hopefully the local market will pick up again.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-03-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Call Shodeen... he seems to own everything else in Geneva anyways. They might be interested in the lot???

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM

88 posts, read 323,855 times
What Steve said!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Call Shodeen... he seems to own everything else in Geneva anyways. They might be interested in the lot???
While doing my research on builders, I found this very interesting article:

Daily Herald >> Crossing Centuries >> Our Suburbs (http://www.dailyherald.com/special/crossingcenturies/5a/18rest.asp - broken link)

Quote:
These town-builders all have one thing in common, however, no matter what the community. They're known as "The Man Who Built (Insert Town Name Here)."
If you're filling in that blank in the Western suburbs, four names fit the bill: Harold Moser, Jay Stream, Joe Keim and Kent Shodeen.
Isn't it incredible how a single individual can have such a big impact on a community?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Default How do auctions work?

I was wondering if somebody know how can I put a vacant land property for auction? Any website/company recommendations?

Also can I set a minimum starting bid, let's say 53k?

So far we have tried lowering the price ($68k) , craigslist, facebook, zillow, real-estate agents, calling builders, etc..without any success...

Last edited by vandre; 10-28-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
for a lot of auctions, it would be hard to start at 53,000. I would definitely talk to adjacent homeowners. a friend of ours that lives in aurora ended up splitting a lot that was between him and his neighbor(on the far west sideof aurora) so it is a real possiblity. especially if you really come down in the price.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
for a lot of auctions, it would be hard to start at 53,000. I would definitely talk to adjacent homeowners. a friend of ours that lives in aurora ended up splitting a lot that was between him and his neighbor(on the far west sideof aurora) so it is a real possiblity. especially if you really come down in the price.
We only have one adjacent neighbor:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX RR XXXXXXXXXXX
street
=========================
neighbor neighbor neighbor

The lot is 15,246 sq ft, and by city ordinances a lot under 8,400 sq. ft. would be non-conforming (15,246/2=7623). Also according to this page subdividing a lot is time-consuming and may cost up to $8000 dollars!

I am in shock and disbelief that the current market cannot support a price of $53k for a vacant lot of this size in Geneva . For the record the previous sale (pre-bubble) was $75k in 1996

Last edited by vandre; 10-29-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Non-update update

~9 months later, no offers. It is still an active listing, but at this point I guess we'll let inflation do its job. With not even low ball offers, I have no idea about what are people's expectations in this market... free?

On the upside, after appealing we did get a property tax break to ~2006 levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs