Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 PM

16 posts, read 99,911 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to estimate cost of daycare in the western suburb area. This will be somewhere between Itasca and Elmhurst.

It looks like the cost roughly appears to be around $1000 / month. Is this too low or too high?

I would imagine that we'll only need daycare until the kids are in kindergarten, so roughly 4-1/2 - 5 years. Would the cost be higher for certain age like before 2?

Sorry for the numerous questions. We don't actually have kids yet, but I am just budgeting and planning for the inevitable expense.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
I've found that daycare costs in the Chicago suburbs is relatively uniform. Obviously, all bets are off once you get into Chicago itself.

I've found that the average places charges $900-$1050 for a 5-day/10 hr program. Down here in the SW suburbs, I've found 2 daycare facilities that are under $900, but there is a massive waiting list. I've got some friends up by you that pay about $1050. I'd say that's a pretty good figure to run with.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 332,906 times
In La Grange, its $305/week (for newborns - I believe it gets marginally cheaper as they age). With two kids, a nanny starts to become a better option than day care.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
In La Grange, its $305/week (for newborns - I believe it gets marginally cheaper as they age). With two kids, a nanny starts to become a better option than day care.
Good call. I neglected to remember that some places split the age bracket between newborns and toddlers. Newborn care is going to be more expensive.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
Also, you might want to check into a licensed home daycare. My local library published a booklet on all the daycares in the area, the cost, and the ages they accepted.

Infants do cost more for daycare, but I think the worrisome age is 1-2, when the child is walking around and putting stuff in their mouths. If you eventually do check out the daycare, make sure that they don't have any toys with small pieces that the child can choke on and that the staff doesn't turnover too quickly, and are not overwhelmed.

Also, make sure that the food is appropriate. I work in a hospital and they brought in a baby who had choked on an apple that wasn't cut up. You would be surprised at the differences in quality at some of them.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,366,756 times
You can also get a list of day care providers (home day care and day care centers) for a marginal cost by calling the Illinois Action for Children (link at bottom). Their lists are very up to date and will give you all the vital information you need to know - except 2 things: cost and vacancy. Since both of these variables change frequently, you need to call the day care to find out.

I paid $190/week (which rose to $200) for my newborn in the city of Chicago at a home. Then we moved to the NW suburbs and now we pay $900/mo at a different home and he is 1yr old. We will not see an increase (or decrease) in rates as he gets older. Hope this helps.

illinois action for children - child care, early learning, education advocacy and social service organization

Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 16,906 times
Our daycare in Western Springs currently charges in the range of about $1150/mo (older kids) - $1600/mo (infants). Learned of another daycare about to open here that quoted $1450/mo per child (got the figure from my wife - not sure if they charge less for older kids and vice-versa).

Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Two years old is the magic age where more options open up and prices go down.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonch View Post
Our daycare in Western Springs currently charges in the range of about $1150/mo (older kids) - $1600/mo (infants). Learned of another daycare about to open here that quoted $1450/mo per child (got the figure from my wife - not sure if they charge less for older kids and vice-versa).
Holy cow... how do people afford to have kids? Seriously... my husband and I are doing fine financially, but we don't put $1600 a month into savings (not counting retirement stuff). Those numbers are seriously scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Two years old is the magic age where more options open up and prices go down.
I hope so! It honestly makes me sick to think of paying $1600/month in order for me to go to a job I already hate. Wow.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Holy cow... how do people afford to have kids? Seriously... my husband and I are doing fine financially, but we don't put $1600 a month into savings (not counting retirement stuff). Those numbers are seriously scary.

I hope so! It honestly makes me sick to think of paying $1600/month in order for me to go to a job I already hate. Wow.
Yeah, I think it's a shocker for most new parents--and it's worse in the city's trendier neighborhoods, where the waiting lists alone limit your options severely. With our second child we found it more cost effective to hire a nanny, and that was a very serious expense.

Options increase at age two, and then increase again around age 3 (or after kids are potty trained)--and costs go down as well. By the time our kids were in Pre-K we were paying about $650/month per child way out in Glen Ellyn. Inner ring suburbs seemed to be quite a bit more expensive and had longer waiting lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs