Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsmile View Post
If OP has kids, they'll go to Lake Bluff schools, and there might be an issue of them being the only (or almost only) Jewish kids in their class. In this case, the proximity of other suburbs that have Jewish community won't help them.

That's true. I overlooked that. I think it's still Lake Forest High School, which does have some Jews...not as much as Highland Park, but some. I would argue that it's more important for high school than primary school to not be the only Jewish person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM

81 posts, read 123,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
That's true. I overlooked that. I think it's still Lake Forest High School, which does have some Jews...not as much as Highland Park, but some. I would argue that it's more important for high school than primary school to not be the only Jewish person.
I disagree. There is no reason why someone should feel they have to isolate themself in an ethnic enclave. If a person is decent and of good character, they will be judged by exactly that, not by their religion.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I disagree. There is no reason why someone should feel they have to isolate themself in an ethnic enclave. If a person is decent and of good character, they will be judged by exactly that, not by their religion.

It's different when you belong to one of historically oppressed minorities. Unfortunately, many people judge you by your religion, ethnicity, etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
If you want to feel really right at home in an area with a Jewish population I'd choose Highland Park all day long. There are a plethora of Synagogues of various levels as well as some top flight Jewish Deli's around town (The Bagel and Max's comes to mind). Sheesh on High Holy days the High School is literally closed due to the high ratio of Jewish kids who are off. I grew up there in the 60's and didn't leave until the late 70's, and that's how it was. I visit my mom and brother still there and haven't seen much different. Lake Forest frankly always was a bit anti Semetic back in the day. I called it home of the WASP's. Also very conservative indeed. Lake Bluff's ok, but I'd still say check out Highland Park.
Also, just be careful if you decide to move in to Highland Park, IL. The Jewish community if for the Jews. I know this for a fact I live with them and they think the world should be Jewish LOL. There is a few ones that keep themselves out their "circle"; but they get in trouble because "they are not like them" If you want to make long lasting relationships with people down to earth; defenetely it is not Highland Park. They are all in to MONEY jajajaja. But, you don't have to take my word for pay attention an you will see with your own eyes. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I am quite sure if the OP is Jewish and he does not want his children in public schools he knows where the temple schools are located. If he doesn't he can find it in the phone book or on the Intermet.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Buffalo Grove has to be the most Jewish town in Lake County. Some of its residents grew up in Highland Park or Skokie.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Might be quite true although Highland Park & Deerfield have very large percentages as well. Buffalo Grove seems to have a more down to earth feel compared to HP as well as access to the highly ranked Stevenson HS. Buffalo Grove feels more diverse "overall" with its very significant Asian & Southasian population that has grown in recent years. Of course, Highland Park does have the better downtown compared to Buffalo Grove (basically non-existent, and more of your typical strip-mall suburbia landscape). Additionally, both Highland Park & Deerfield offer better train commutes to Chicago. Buffalo Grove's North Central line is a joke in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Buffalo Grove has to be the most Jewish town in Lake County. Some of its residents grew up in Highland Park or Skokie.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsmile View Post
If OP has kids, they'll go to Lake Bluff schools, and there might be an issue of them being the only (or almost only) Jewish kids in their class. In this case, the proximity of other suburbs that have Jewish community won't help them.
School District 27 in West Northbrook (Hickory Point school) is almost exclusively Jewish and it has no diversity, none. I know people who pulled out of that school and sent their kids to Wescott (also in NBK) because they were made to feel unwelcome by the community in District 27. This kind of stuff cuts both ways. Many Jewish people on the North Shore vote liberal, but they are deeply conservative when it comes to their own families and have no regrets about self-segregating in their own communities of like-minded people. I haven't quite figured out how to reconcile this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs