Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,164 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself, and our 5 children are going to be relocating to the Mount Vernon area.
Is there anything to do in the town? Good daycare centers? What are the schools like? Where is the best place in town to buy a house, part of town to avoid?? No morsel of information is too small. We would appreciate any and all info we can get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,600 times
Default Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon is a pretty nice town overall, the best areas of town to live tend to be to the west and northwest, also many lovely wooded areas just outside of town esp. to the north and northeast. Stay away from the southside of town, very bad area esp. immediately south of downtown. Most available shopping and dining is along Broadway in the west side of the city. All the typical chain places and a smallish mall. Fairly typical of a town of around 20,000. There are also some nice public parks, one with a pool. The schools are pretty good from all I have heard.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,778 times
Wink why mt vernon?

Are you going there because of a job transfer, or is this a researched move? I only ask because other than the town itself, there is nothing in the surrounding area but farms and even smaller towns. Just wondering.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,164 times
Default Thanks much!

Thanks so much for the responses.

We are going there due to a job transfer. We have family that lives in O'Fallon, and I grew up in Kankakee IL so I know how it is to live in the middle of no where.

I really appreciate all the info!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,676 times
The town itself isn't bad, we just need more jobs and more retail sector. We have many exciting things coming to us down the road such as a new interchange, new hospital, more businesses, new housing developments such as new condo's and new subdivsions. Speaking of businesses, there is going to be a new Business Park located on the west side of the city, a new Penske Trucking firm in the industrial park is being built, and ATV and Motorcycle dealership just to name a few. As for the southern part of the city, thats being worked on to correct the problems in that area, you have to realize every town has a bad or rough area in it. If everyone works together and sets differences aside, we can have one hell of a town to be proud of.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM

30 posts, read 167,746 times
Default Mount Vernon

We have stayed in Mt vernon at the Holiday Inn and it is kid friendly....It has a arcade, pool, sauna, hot tub and a business center. They have breakfast in the mornings and I think the kids eat free if I remember correctly.There is also a resturant in there called Frankies and it was pretty good food, but it is a bar late a night. We took the kids to the park which was nice, the mall which is really small, a indoor goofy golf place which was neat, the movies, a to the bowling alley. They also have a little petting zoo place there but he was already closed when we went out there. There was a buffet that we ate at that was good as well, but I can't remember the name of it. MTV also has a art place that was ok but nothing big! If you like to do outdoor stuff Rend Lake is pretty close to MTV and it has alot to do around there. I always take my kids to Rend Lake every year to swim, camp, hike, and fish......They also have a art center there, horse riding, golf, shooting complex, resort, hotel, pool, playground, resturant, gift shop which offers paddleboats, pontoons and jon boats for rent, and cabins to rent right on the water. The resturant is called WINDOWS and it is right on the water as well. It was pretty good but we only ate there once.You can look up more stuff about Rend Lake Online. Mt Vernon is also close to I64 so you can hop on there and it takes you right into Saint Louis in about 1 hour I would say....Saint Louis has alot to do and several free atractions which I imagine would help out with five children! Hope this helps! BAMBAM

REND LAKE ON THE ROCKS
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/bambam203/scenic/rendlakewaterontherocks.jpg (broken link)

REND LAKE HOTEL RESTURANT AND CABINS
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/bambam203/scenic/rendlakehotelrestandcabins.jpg (broken link)

REND LAKE FLAGSHIP
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/bambam203/scenic/rendlakeflagship.jpg (broken link)

ART CENTER
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/bambam203/scenic/rendlalkeartcenterupclose.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,928 times
Hi- I'm considering moving to Mount Vernon and I was wondering if you (since you have relatively the most recent post!) could answer a few questions. My biggest concern is that I'm single and in my mid-twenties. I'm considering moving there for a good position as an pharmacist and I'm wondering if the town is just too small to meet people my age. I know it's only about 17,000 people and I'd venture to guess the population is mostly 40+. Would you suggest such a move?
Thanks- Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs