Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 12,685 times

Advertisements

I am a mom of 5 ages range from 11yrs-3yrs
I live in Chicago now and it is getting expensive and crowded.
We live in an apartment
so now is the time my husband and I are looking into a home.
We would like a great neighborhood, that friendly and safe, good schools.
especially 2 of our oldest ones have Learning Disabilities. and the school here in Chicago they attend is just OK but, they seem to still continue to have our kids just pass grade to grade even if they don't understand what they are learning. I am even looking to when my oldest goes to High school in 2 more years, So I want good elementary schools,JR high schools,High schools as well. "We plan on staying at our new home for a long time!" also we want a place that isnt too expensive. I guess with the market now I would think we can get a good deal on a home but, I just dont no where to look. and also someonwhere that is not to much of a travel since my husband works by Lake shore Dr. And we need a good size home especially with all these kids! My preferences as well is not a neighborhood that is a cookie cutter! homes with charm and character and neighborhoods that are family friendly and safe and everyone looks out for one another.
So if anyone an help me and my husband with the huge decision this would be of so much HELP
WE are looking to move before the school year starts back in Fall.
So every information can help us out
thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM

114 posts, read 387,417 times
So much depends on your price range. What is it?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM

price range up to 300.000

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical21_26 View Post
I am a mom of 5 ages range from 11yrs-3yrs
I live in Chicago now and it is getting expensive and crowded.
We live in an apartment
so now is the time my husband and I are looking into a home.
We would like a great neighborhood, that friendly and safe, good schools.
especially 2 of our oldest ones have Learning Disabilities. and the school here in Chicago they attend is just OK but, they seem to still continue to have our kids just pass grade to grade even if they don't understand what they are learning. I am even looking to when my oldest goes to High school in 2 more years, So I want good elementary schools,JR high schools,High schools as well. "We plan on staying at our new home for a long time!" also we want a place that isnt too expensive. I guess with the market now I would think we can get a good deal on a home but, I just dont no where to look. and also someonwhere that is not to much of a travel since my husband works by Lake shore Dr. And we need a good size home especially with all these kids! My preferences as well is not a neighborhood that is a cookie cutter! homes with charm and character and neighborhoods that are family friendly and safe and everyone looks out for one another.
So if anyone an help me and my husband with the huge decision this would be of so much HELP
WE are looking to move before the school year starts back in Fall.
So every information can help us out
thanks again
Naperville has good schools and in this market, you could probably find something in that range. Not sure if it would be right in their downtown but I imagine if you looked you could find something (maybe even a foreclosure or short sale). Certainly better than 5 kids in an apartment!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
Travel a little north to McHenry County. I raised 4 children here and all are doing very well. Homes here are less $$ than Naperville....schools are good and you can find that non-cookie-cutter property you seek.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Holy Cow! If the OPs' husband works on Lake Shore Drive, you want him to commute from McHenry or Naperville? Oy-Vey!
OP, try Skokie. Investigate East Prairie School. When I went there, they had a good special ed program and my friends who bought homes in "the old neighborhood" still have good things to say. NIles North is not among the highest scoring HS's , but it still is a good, solid school. Only concern is to stop by Police Station and ask about crime in the are. My perception is that is still a good area and the more troublesome areas are the areas with high density of apartment buildings. The Tribune has a neighborhood profile of Skokie in today's Home section.
I would also investigate other nearby suburbs like Morton Grove. The following are also worth considering, but are more expensive: Evanston, Oak Park, La Grange, Lincolnwood. I am purposely staying with closer in suburbs so your husband's commute doesn't get too long.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Holy Cow! If the OPs' husband works on Lake Shore Drive, you want him to commute from McHenry or Naperville?

...OP, try Skokie...I would also investigate other nearby suburbs like Morton Grove...
Exactly.

Des Plaines might be somewhere to look into as well. I do not know much about their schools though.

I know the OP said they wanted out of Chicago. I am curious what neighborhood they live in.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 PM

thanks everyone for your help
just to let everyone know i am from the bridgeport area "white sox park"
again i will go with all suggestions and follow up and get some more info about them and their schools as well. curious if anyone has any info on Flossmoor? and or any other locations with good schools and great neighboorhoods,and that are not very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs