Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
There is a lot of discussion on this forum about Naperville -- and while it certainly sounds like there is a lot that's attractive to people -- particularly families with kids -- I'm trying to understand the reality about some of the so-called downsides of Naperville -- namely 1) traffic, 2) lack of parking at the train, 3) the subdivision-like and at-times corporate feel the town, etc. I'm also curious about the restaurant scene and whether it's a lot of chain restaurants or outposts of Chicago restaurants and what it's like trying to eat at one on a weekend (I've gotten the sense that restaurants are very crowded, and I read somewhere here something to the effect of it also being very hard to get a babysitter on a weekend night)...If I eventually consider Naperville for my family, I want to go in eyes wide open, and I continue to get the sense that the town itself is overly crowded, more so than the typical suburb. I'd also like to hear more about the downtown. They've done a nice job with it but it's a lot of chain stores, and for a town of Naperville's size, the downtown doesn't seem that big to me... but maybe I'm missing something?? I'd love to hear from people who moved there and later left or ruled it out to due to one of the above reasons or something else. Quite frankly, I really need to get a better understanding of the supposed negatives of Naperville through the eyes of people who have experienced them first-hand. Of course, if these negatives totally pale in comparison to the advantages of living in Naperville, I'd love to hear those perspectives, too. Thanks in advance.
Naperville is very nice, but the traffic is AWEFUL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 02:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
When I visited Naperville, I appreciated the fact that it had a walkable downtown (and quite sizable among the suburban main street downtowns), with a scenic river flowing beside the town (and the lovely path next to the river). Of course this is the dead center of Naperville, I'm not too familiar with the rest of Naperville, and of course it's huge in terms of land.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 133,845 times
Having lived in Chicago proper for a decade or so, and spending a lot of time in Naperville recently while looking at homes, I must say the "traffic problem" claims about Naperville make me giggle a bit. To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee and the famous knife scene: "THAT'S not traffic...".

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 50,675 times
nat03 hit it on the head. Naperville is large, a city, really, with its own suburbs. If your moving to Naperville and want the "true community" feel of Naperville, live on the north or east sides, or any of the areas around downtown. We live 11 blocks from downtown and its a lifesytle not many places can replicate. Walk to all the festivals, shops, beach, riverwalk, stores, library, central park band shell, childrens museum, train, etc. However, living in these areas of Naperville means it costs a lot more, or you need to buy an older house. But well worth it...I would take a beater house with a good location than something on the southside of Naperville where you are car dependent.

Traffic is fine in these areas - I never really get hung up. Yes, downtown Naperville is a destination for many others that live in the Chicago area - so between April and Oct - weekends are packed there - but we are lucky enough to just walk down there. There are a lot of restauraunts in downtown Naperville that are "2nd locations" of downtown Chicago places (Hugos Frog Bar, Heaven on Seven, Catch 35) plus a lot of other more localized places (alhtough not 100% unique, but places you dont see a lot of other places) like Sullivans, RoseBud, Tango, La Franseca, Black Finn, Lou Malanatis, Girodano's, Teds Montana Grill, Red Mango, Eg Harbor, Potters, etc. Apple even just opened a store on Jeffrson St (which I fear may bring a ton more flagship type stores to downtwon). Shopping wise, there are the Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Williams Sonoma, Gap, Eddie Bauer, Ann Taylor, Barnes & Noble etc type stores - but there are just as many local places as well (cupcake stores, book stores, etc).

From what I have seen with my limited involvement with the city - when the economy perks back up, several major developments will kick start (they have been shleved a bit due to soft ecomony) - the Water St development and the expansion of the two buildings at Main/Van Buren. They will undoubtedly bring even more restauraunts and shops - which some like, some dont. There was talk about J Crew, Banana Republic, Ruth Chris's and Cheesecake Factory several years ago. In sum, basically, in downtown Naperville, you have a mini-Chicago.

My opinion on the southside and far southwest sides near the boarder of Naperville (Rt 59) - its simply just another place, there is not a ton to differentiate it - most was built in the 1980's - late 1990's in that area. A lot of nice subdivisions - but if your say, at the area of Route 59 and 95th street - it can take 20 minutes to drive to downtown Naperville (without traffic). If your gonna live that far south, IMHO, you might as well drive over to Aurora or Bolingbrook where you will get a much bigger bang for your buck, as you wont be paying for a Naperville zip code.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
My opinion on the southside and far southwest sides near the boarder of Naperville (Rt 59) - its simply just another place, there is not a ton to differentiate it - most was built in the 1980's - late 1990's in that area. A lot of nice subdivisions - but if your say, at the area of Route 59 and 95th street - it can take 20 minutes to drive to downtown Naperville (without traffic). If your gonna live that far south, IMHO, you might as well drive over to Aurora or Bolingbrook where you will get a much bigger bang for your buck, as you wont be paying for a Naperville zip code.
That may be, but the extra $ for Naperville schools instead of Bolingbrook and especially Aurora schools is well worth the investment for many parents.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,857 times
Default naperville

I'm mid twenties, lived in Naperville for a while. I used to kind of make fun of it myself that it was boring, plain, cookiecutter, etc however so are many other burbs.

Naperville has the best libraries I've ever seen, alot of community programs and downtown Naperville is pretty cool. I'm a little over the bar scene but used to go downtown Naperville alot. I used to be kind of surprised when you'd run into people who drove an hour to come to Naperville to go to the bars used to always think I'd drive that far for the city but for Naperville? When you visit some other burbs like Westmont, Bolingbrook, etc and the nightlife is TGI Fridays you realize Naperville is actually pretty cool.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
When you combine Naperville with adjacent Aurora you have about the same population as St. Louis. So you are to expect heavier traffic. But many more attractions, like the Aurora Sci-Tech Museum. I think the parking problems everyone refers to concern the Metra station. If you plan to take the train to Chicago on weekdays frequently this may be a concern.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:51 PM

72 posts, read 218,699 times
Default Naperville question??

Hello,

Need some guidance. We like Naperville, we like the fact you can walk around the town and we have relatives who live within walking distance so we've experienced this first hand. Also like the diverse stores, restaurants and bars. More to the point my wife likes this town, like this lifestyle and wants to move to a place where we have this type of lifestyle where a car is not needed necessarily. This is a long term search and I'm thinking more of a retirement destination than moving to Naperville.

Is there some sort of website search where I can plug in features that will throw up other US destinations that will replicate these sorts of features Naperville offers?

BTW - from a visitors stance this town is super and you are all very lucky to be living in such a nice place. The irony for us is our family living here wants to move - they've got young kids, good employment, older but nicer house - grass is always greener I guess but they want to move to a place where its a hell hole by comparison (won't say where because I don't want to offend) and we basically told them they were mad - they've subsequently stayed, which is doubly amazing to us, because who listens to family!!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
Naperville is very nice and the downtown is one of the best in Chicagoland. The restaurants in the downtown area are not as chain oriented but some are outposts of ones in Chicago. Yes on weekends they can get very crowded so we always go early so we are there around five pm. I don't actually live in Naperville but I live about a mile from it so I am there often. The traffic is mostly in the RT 59 corridor which is chockablock with strip malls and shopping malls as well as many chain restaurants. There are lots of subdivisions but some of these are nice and very well located. The only thing I would say about Naperville is that every Tom, Dick and Harry from out of state has heard of Naperville so they all want to live there. You can find similar lifestyles, housing, towns and living near Naperville that are just as nice. Places such as Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, etc. all have nice housing styles and quaint town areas, and shopping as well. Good schools too.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:25 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
I didn't live in Naperville, but we used to live in North Plainfield literally a block from Naperville. Overall Naperville is a great town with a lot of positives. It has a very nice downtown and the schools are top notch. There is a lot to do there! From the river walk, to shopping and restaurants.

The negatives I personally saw about Naperville was:

. Everyone is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

. Naperville and Neuqua Valley H.S. is known for having a bad heroin problem.

. Naperville is very expensive to live there. Yes you can find an affordable home under $300k, but it will be small and outdated.

. Property taxes are extremely high.

. Rt 59 can be a nightmare to drive down.

Last edited by CGab; 09-14-2017 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs