Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM

27 posts, read 140,465 times

Advertisements

It's my opinion that Chicago's suburbs have suffered a significant decline in the last 30 years, with many of them FAR WORSE off than they were in the 1970's and 1980's.

Sometimes journalists, pundits, etc. will focus on a few neighborhoods in Chicago that have boomed (Bucktown, Lake View, South Loop, West Loop, etc.) and use this as evidence that things are better. But these small areas do not offset the terrible declines we've seen in Chicago's suburbs where even many of the suburban schools are hellholes of existence now.

Many middle class neighborhoods in Chicago are declining as well, but the focus always seems to be on the gentrification of a few small areas of Chicagoland, despite the obvious decline of much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Numerically the data would differ. 30 years ago the total assessed value of basically every town was a fraction of where it is today.

If you mean that the values have changed and there are less family owned businesses where one can make a living that allows one to live in the same town where you work, that is probably true, but that is not the same as "decline".

Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbros View Post
It's my opinion that Chicago's suburbs have suffered a significant decline in the last 30 years, with many of them FAR WORSE off than they were in the 1970's and 1980's.

Sometimes journalists, pundits, etc. will focus on a few neighborhoods in Chicago that have boomed (Bucktown, Lake View, South Loop, West Loop, etc.) and use this as evidence that things are better. But these small areas do not offset the terrible declines we've seen in Chicago's suburbs where even many of the suburban schools are hellholes of existence now.

Many middle class neighborhoods in Chicago are declining as well, but the focus always seems to be on the gentrification of a few small areas of Chicagoland, despite the obvious decline of much more.
I think quite the opposite! Ive watched numerous suburbs reinvent themselves and make something of themselves. PLaces like Dundee, South Elgin, Geneva, St. Charles, Aurora, Plainfield, Wheaton, Naperville, Hinsdale, etc, were not really in total decline, but they have consistently upgraded and modified and have become very desireable places to live. Well, maybe not all of Aurora yet, but theyre trying.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
I think you are totally wrong about the decline of the suburbs. where do you live! The growth and development in will, kane, kendall and even the far-reaching dekalb counties has been huge in the past 30 years. I grew up in what was rural st. charles, and have lived in sugar grove for over 20 years. the suburbs have not declined.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
You know, there's always been poverty in the Chicago region. Back when the city of Chicago held over 80% of the metro population, it also contained most of the wealthy and most of the poor. As population shifted to the suburbs, first the wealthy and now the poor migrated out of the city. Now that the suburbs hold 70% of the metro population, why wouldn't you expect to see poverty in the suburbs?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Yeah, Oak Park in the 1970s and 80s was written off by many as doomed to become part of the black underclass ghetto. Crime rates were soaring and businesses were wary of investing in the village. Although we've still got our share of issues, its fair to say we've triumphed over those original challenges of disinvestment and white flight.

And as a general rule, I'm always wary of "good 'ol days" nostalgia where everything in the past was always good and everything today sucks. People's memories tend to be notoriously unreliable about these kinds of issues.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 20,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Yeah, Oak Park in the 1970s and 80s was written off by many as doomed to become part of the black underclass ghetto. Crime rates were soaring and businesses were wary of investing in the village. Although we've still got our share of issues, its fair to say we've triumphed over those original challenges of disinvestment and white flight.

And as a general rule, I'm always wary of "good 'ol days" nostalgia where everything in the past was always good and everything today sucks. People's memories tend to be notoriously unreliable about these kinds of issues.
Elmwood Park, Forest Park, Maywood, Galewood, and east Oak Park have declined significantly in the last 30 years as has OPRF high school. These areas have not triumphed over decay, they've been defeated. This phenomenon has occurred in many other suburban clusters and locales, in the very same exact way. Test scores are for sure down in the high schools.

Last edited by linicx; 09-22-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 20,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
OMG, Mexicans! You seem to be equating decline with minorities. We don't all do that. They are just among the most recent immigrants to this country. Try reading about how Irish and Polish and Italian immigrants were treated in the early 1900's. Things haven't changed much, just who the hatred is directed at. And YES, I realize that a lot of latino immigrants are here illegally, plenty of Poles are, too - and I'm Polish. If I thought that the only way to improve the future for my (nonexistent) kids was to move to another country illegally and wash dishes, I'd do it. Most immigrants that I've encountered ( and I know plenty living in Elgin and having worked in restaurant kitchens) are extremely hard working and law-abiding.
Many Polish immigrants come to Chicago with nothing, they cannot speak the language, etc. and yet they prosper and maintain neighborhoods, etc. My sister works in criminal justice in Chicago (26th & Cal) and she says that the Polish are far underrepresented as compared to blacks and browns, and esp. Mexicans as defendants. Cook County Jail is not filled with Polish people, so there is a difference in immigrants groups.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
yes, generally the Poles are better educated.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM

216 posts, read 645,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
OMG, Mexicans! You seem to be equating decline with minorities. We don't all do that. They are just among the most recent immigrants to this country. Try reading about how Irish and Polish and Italian immigrants were treated in the early 1900's. Things haven't changed much, just who the hatred is directed at. And YES, I realize that a lot of latino immigrants are here illegally, plenty of Poles are, too - and I'm Polish. If I thought that the only way to improve the future for my (nonexistent) kids was to move to another country illegally and wash dishes, I'd do it. Most immigrants that I've encountered ( and I know plenty living in Elgin and having worked in restaurant kitchens) are extremely hard working and law-abiding.
Don't forget those cleaning our schools and hospitals every day and night...both Latino and Polish.

And look there..I go to the Dentist and the women assisting are Latino and when I go to the bank....there they are again...probably second generation but making their way in our suburbs. Any Latinos fixing cars? Damn, got the oil changed today...sure enough a Latino. Had the roof replaced last year. Yep. Latinos on my roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs