Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 76,651 times

Advertisements

Whoa - I live in Minneapolis and just got done navigating through the registration process for full day kindergarten for my son when I found out we're getting transferred to Chicago. I looks like we'll be living somewhere in Hinsdale and/or any of the surrounding "villages". (BTW, is "village" that just a cute way of saying "suburb" or are they really somehow villages? Sounds cute...) Do the public schools in this area offer full day kindergarten? I've been searching all over the internet and can't come up with any data. My son is in a full day setting now, and it would feel wrong for him to go back to just 2.5 hours a day. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM

25 posts, read 131,954 times
My son went to kindergarten in Darien, which neighbors the cities you named, and theirs was full day. You can call the schools to find out. Not all cities in the area offer full day.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Hinsdale doesn't have full day kindergarten. Here's a link to their district:Community Consolidated School District 181 It covers Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills and portions of Burr Ridge too. Full day kindergarten in this area is somewhat rare unless you go montessori or private. Seton Montessori (http://school.setonmontessori.org/ab_about.html - broken link) is a great school you may want to check into for kindergarten, and it serves the Clarendon Hills/Hinsdale area. I'm pretty sure they have full day options.

ETA: Just checked and Seton goes through 2nd grade. Full day option for kindergarten aged child would run you $8,750/year which goes up to $10,650/year for grades 1-2. Somewhat pricey, but I think they do swimming and horseback riding there too. I'm not sure how many parents keep their children there since the public schools are quite excellent, and there are so many enrichment classes you can sign up for in and around Hinsdale to fill their day. I sent my daughter to the Montessori School of Western Springs for preschool, and also did their kindergarten enrichment classes in the afternoon when she was kindergarten age to make up a full day for her. They even bussed the kids directly from the gradeschool to the rec. center (where the MSWS is located). There's also the Kaleidoscope option. They have Kindergarten Giant Leap which meets once/per week as well as many other class options. My son did those. Then there's the Union Church of Hinsdale which is extremely popular for their childhood classes. They have a kindergarten enrichment option too called Kinderboost for kids going to kindergarten half days in the public schools. There's also MiniLib (might be called kids day out now) at the 1st Congregational Church of Western Springs (http://www.congo.workwebsite.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemi d=263 - broken link) too. It's completely non-academic, but lots of playing/arts/crafts/social time activities.

So don't fret about not having full-day kindergarten. There are literally tons of options to fill up their days so they don't get bored.

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 03-27-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM

21 posts, read 76,651 times
Default Thank you!

Wonderful info. Thank you, both! So appreciated....

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 73,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaufman View Post
Whoa - I live in Minneapolis and just got done navigating through the registration process for full day kindergarten for my son when I found out we're getting transferred to Chicago. I looks like we'll be living somewhere in Hinsdale and/or any of the surrounding "villages". (BTW, is "village" that just a cute way of saying "suburb" or are they really somehow villages? Sounds cute...) Do the public schools in this area offer full day kindergarten? I've been searching all over the internet and can't come up with any data. My son is in a full day setting now, and it would feel wrong for him to go back to just 2.5 hours a day. Thanks very much!

Actually, around Chicagoland, we have Cities, Towns, Townships, and Villages. Not every suburb is a "Village".

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
I think it's just how the local government is set up. Like the previous poster said, there are towns and villages, etc. Some have mayors, some have presidents. I'm not sure what all the difference is, but they are all basically suburbs with their own little identities and individual characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs