Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,697 times

Advertisements

Im moving to the States in late July and will be working in Mundelein. I'll be driving and am willing to commute up to an hour or so, and am looking for a suburb with plenty to do for a 26 year old single bloke.

From reading around and speaking to my work, Evanston and Libertyville would be good options. My concern is Evanston may be too much of a commute (I heard 90 minutes) and Libertyville will be a little boring maybe and will leave me very far from Chicago at the weekends. During the week I don't really drink that much and go to the gym most nights, however after I still like to go to gigs and the theatre.

Im looking to make plenty of 25 - 35 yr old friends as am leaving all mine in England, so my location would need to have a good population of these.

FINALLY im planning on going on a find a roommate.com type websites as these are quite popular in the UK, ive been told Roomster.com and easyroomate.com are good sites, anyone who could advice on these would be greatly appreciated.

Any help at all would be great.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Evanston to Mundelein shouldn't take 90 minutes unless their is a storm or accident. More like 60 minutes.
I like Evanston and proximity to Chicago. I would also suggest looking at Arlington Heights. About 45 minutes to Mundelein and has pretty good downtown for a suburb

Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM

76 posts, read 162,465 times
I don't think Libertyville would be boring but that depends what you are looking for. It has a great downtown dining scene that is growing every year. There are plenty of volunteer activities and it is right on the DesPlaines river trail that connects to multiple forest preserves. It's great if you like outdoor activities as there are many running, biking, and sports clubs in the area.

The commute to Chicago is further but there is easily access to Wisconsin which has great weekend activities and Milwaukee is a great getaway for sports and dinning at a fraction of the Chicago prices.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Evanston to Mundelein shouldn't take 90 minutes unless their is a storm or accident. More like 60 minutes.
I like Evanston and proximity to Chicago. I would also suggest looking at Arlington Heights. About 45 minutes to Mundelein and has pretty good downtown for a suburb
Brilliant thank you, i'll take a look at Arlington heights as well, looks like a much better commute!

For both Evanston and Arlington heights, how much would it be in a cab after a Friday or Saturday night in downtown chicago? or does the subway run pretty late?

Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Metra Saturday trains leave from just west of downtown at 8:30, 10:30 and 12:30.
A few more trains on Friday night.
CTA purple line gets you to Evanston. You can also do Blue line to Rosemont and take cab to AH from there and reduce your fare.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg111 View Post
Brilliant thank you, i'll take a look at Arlington heights as well, looks like a much better commute!

For both Evanston and Arlington heights, how much would it be in a cab after a Friday or Saturday night in downtown chicago? or does the subway run pretty late?
No idea about Arlington Heights, but to Evanston, you would take the red line and change at Howard for the purple line and it runs late. The red line runs 24/7.

CTA Purple Line | Route Guide (Map, Alerts and Timetables)

Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,577,281 times
Go with Evanston, sacrifice some commuting time for a social life that won't suck.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
I echo Aleking's sentiments here. Your connectivity with the city will be far better from Evanston than just about anywhere else in the north or northwest suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Go with Evanston, sacrifice some commuting time for a social life that won't suck.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM

29 posts, read 118,285 times
I disagree about Arlington Heights. It's a great suburb, but if you're going to make a long commute, might as well go with Evanston which sounds much more like your scene. Driving in A.H. is a nightmare with long lights and lots of traffic. Libertyville is also great and a five minute drive to Mundelein, but I feel like it's more "family friendly" than what you're looking for. However there are some decent bars in the area like Firkin's, Tommy's (my least favorite but they have great pizza), Austin's, The Island, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs