Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times

Advertisements

I moved home from chicago recently but still like to know about whats going on there and was wondering how bad flooding was in the city and specifically lakeview. Are there a lot of bsmt apts flooded and streets totally closed off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Not that I have seen in Lake View or the other neighborhoods close around it. I have not been out of the area in the last day.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
I didn't notice anything in or around Lakeview, either. And the usual suspects (portions of the streets and/or intersections that typically flood after a good rain and stay that way for a couple days, at least) were dry when I went out on Saturday afternoon.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM

367 posts, read 917,731 times
Some of my neighbors are not to happy here in West Town. They are telling me they got hit pretty hard.

I can tell that water backed up at some point into my basement but it's pretty dry now. I have some sweeping and washing to do but at least I'm not pumping water like some folks around here have been doing.

I think I am going to just leave my basement unfinished. I feel for the people with the below grade places who have their furniture floating around them.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
I think most of the western suburbs were hit pretty hard

Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
This story has some good pics:

Chicago area continues cleanup efforts after storm :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2532402,flood-rain-warning-chicago-weather-072510.article# - broken link)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Logan Square & Avondale got bombed - the alleys are full of mattresses, carpets, and crap-a-plenty, and several friends got as much as 12 inches of water.

We took water in even though our sump pump worked fine, apparently getting the water 6 feet away from the house wasn't enough, ugh.

At least that was crystal clear water & we didn't lose power though. Debating whether just a much more powerful sump pump is the solution if it's time to go all medieval on the situation and do some serious digging/waterproofing around the base of the foundation.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times
I was at Hot Dougs this morning and Doug said he lost a ton of food inventory and merchandise. Lula also got a ton of water in their basement and as a result is still closed.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Logan Square & Avondale got bombed - the alleys are full of mattresses, carpets, and crap-a-plenty, and several friends got as much as 12 inches of water.

We took water in even though our sump pump worked fine, apparently getting the water 6 feet away from the house wasn't enough, ugh.

At least that was crystal clear water & we didn't lose power though. Debating whether just a much more powerful sump pump is the solution if it's time to go all medieval on the situation and do some serious digging/waterproofing around the base of the foundation.
Weird. I live just up the way from Avondale here in Irving Park, and I don't know if my neighborhood has a giant umbrella over it or what, but it's like nothing happened here. I was absolutely oblivious to how much rain we got and how much trouble it caused in the area until I started hearing all kinds of reports about it on the news, and the turnout at a function I was attending on Saturday was very low with a bunch of people calling to say they wouldn't make it because they kept getting re-routed around flooded out underpasses and finally gave up and went back home.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Weird. I live just up the way from Avondale here in Irving Park, and I don't know if my neighborhood has a giant umbrella over it or what, but it's like nothing happened here. I was absolutely oblivious to how much rain we got and how much trouble it caused in the area until I started hearing all kinds of reports about it on the news, and the turnout at a function I was attending on Saturday was very low with a bunch of people calling to say they wouldn't make it because they kept getting re-routed around flooded out underpasses and finally gave up and went back home.
Seems like there's a trouble zone that follows either (or both) the highway or the river, or maybe it's just aging City infrastructure that can't drain fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago