Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
Yes, they would as would their white counterpart. This is a strange thread to me. I have black and white friends who went to MPHS, loved it, and so did their parents, who were well educated and involved. From the other posts, that seems like some seriously rare occurrence, but its really not, I've met too many people (black, white, & indian) with good things to say about the school. Admittedly, most of the people I know who went there were in the IB program, but still, to read this thread, you wouldn't know others thought there was anything good going on at MPHS unless you are apparently poor or disadvantaged with low educational standards.
The school is less than two percent white in a district that is over 60%. That gives some indication of how most white people really think about it, regardless of whether it is good or not (and I did mention that many people think highly of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
[SIZE=3]10900 S HERMOSA Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60643?[/SIZE]
Lots of Bungalows around there... Looks ok from the streetview at least.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
[SIZE=3]10900 S HERMOSA Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60643?[/SIZE]
That is really the fringes of the fringes but should be ok. Id avoid church and stay north of 111 at least. Worth a look if there is a good deal there.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
regardless of whether it is good or not (and I did mention that many people think highly of it).
You should really re-read this thread to see how it comes off, it hardly suggests that people think highly of the school, it says people with lower incomes and blacks with low educational standards speak highly of it. Almost every comment is tinged with some stereotype or overgeneralization. Its sad. I'm having dinner next week with a white friend who went to MPHS, I'm sure she'll be thrilled when I tell her of this thread. I'll make sure to let her know people would apparently be shocked to know she made it out alive with a great education and got into a excellent college and grad school and did it out of a school that wouldn't be the equivalent of suicide but not much better. Because seriously, that's what this thread says.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You should really re-read this thread to see how it comes off, it hardly suggests that people think highly of the school, it says people with lower incomes and blacks with low educational standards speak highly of it. Almost every comment is tinged with some stereotype or overgeneralization. Its sad. I'm having dinner next week with a white friend who went to MPHS, I'm sure she'll be thrilled when I tell her of this thread. I'll make sure to let her know people would apparently be shocked to know she made it out alive with a great education and got into a excellent college and grad school and did it out of a school that wouldn't be the equivalent of suicide but not much better. Because seriously, that's what this thread says.

Unless your friend lives in cave I'm sure she knows this already. How else could she explain why almost no whites go there (in a very white neighborhood)? Doesn't this strike you as a bit odd? I'm sure it has occurred to her at least once ... it is because they think the school sucks and that they think you can't get a good education.

Now, she might disagree, and I suppose it is possible that all of these white people and their misguided opinions are motivated by complete ignorance or racism, but to act like your friend would be shocked to hear it is a bit of a stretch.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Now, she might disagree, and I suppose it is possible that all of these white people and their misguided opinions are motivated by complete ignorance or racism, but to act like your friend would be shocked to hear it is a bit of a stretch.
I'd say she'd be mighty shocked that people seem to think she was a step away from a fate worse than death at MPHS. Yes, she would. Its not that she'd be shocked to learn less whites attend the school now, but that apparently her educated parents were somehow lax in their educational views, that her success is somehow an anomaly, or that overall, her school sucks unless you ask someone who has low educational standards, yeah, she'll be shocked. So, would my Indian friend who went to MPA, who only went there because he didn't get into the IB program at MPHS. I've never heard MPHS spoken of in this manner. I've always heard good things about it, and that's from blacks, whites, and Indians. The people I know from Beverly are clearly a different group than you know.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
I don't think that's what the thread says. MP got a 39% meets or exceeds on the last ISAT. That's below the State average. There is a large group who are going to look at this and find it unacceptable without a further thought. Is this narrow minded? Maybe, but that's not the point. It's reality. It's what people do. It's what a lot of people do.

Others will consider that less important than cheaper homes and acceptable safety levels at the school and in the community. Unfortunately, those people generally do not put as high a priority on the education itself, which is why the school's overall scores will remain mediocre. It's not that they're bad people, they just don't view education with the same level of intensity that other groups do.

And at the fringes are the extremes, like the doctor and lawyer couple who send their kid to the low scoring public school because they want her exposed to diversity and she ends up graduating Valedictorian at Harvard and hired by the State Department to head a project to create lasting world peace. But those are the exception rather than the rule, and solely focusing on those will ignore the real issues, and won't bring us closer to any solutions.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Do you think you speak to a different group, or that they won't say these things in front of you for some reason? Anyhow, one can say whatever they want, but their actions speak pretty clearly.

Quote:
I'd say she'd be mighty shocked that people seem to think she was a step away from a fate worse than death at MPHS. Yes, she would. Its not that she'd be shocked to learn less whites attend the school now, but that apparently her educated parents were somehow lax in their educational views, that her success is somehow an anomaly, or that overall, her school sucks unless you ask someone who has low educational standards, yeah, she'll be shocked. So, would my Indian friend who went to MPA, who only went there because he didn't get into the IB program at MPHS. I've never heard MPHS spoken of in this manner. I've always heard good things about it, and that's from blacks, whites, and Indians. The people I know from Beverly are clearly a different group than you know.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Is this consistent with "most whites think the school is top notch?" Seems better to confront that there is a huge problem, regardless of whose fault it is (given that the population of whites hasn't changed all that much during that time -- certainly nowhere near these numbers).

MPHS demographics

year-whites-blacks
1989-467-1261
1990-479-1249
1991-378-1307
1992-247-1371
1993-198-1470
1994-213-1581
1995-373-1646
1996-373-1646
1997-342-1673
1998-358-1636
1999-339-1609
2000-278-1650
2001-256-1722
2002-126-1939
2003-126-1939
2004-110-2041
2005-91-2119
2006-64-2064
2007-61-1918
2008-43-1780

Last edited by ajolotl; 08-13-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: added formatting

Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^ Insert some slashes or something please! ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago