Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM

337 posts, read 268,680 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a college student looking into graduate programs in art therapy and I have researched many schools, but am particularly interested in SAIC. Their approach towards emphasizing the process of making art and its wide variety of internships really appeals to me and of course its location in Chicago seems promising that there may be many opportunities for an art therapist.

However, I was wondering if there is anything else about this program in particular that really sets it apart from the other art therapy programs? or if there are any major drawbacks I haven't come across? I've been wondering if art schools that offer an art therapy program are particularly distinct from non-art schools who offer art therapy.

oh! and also I was wondering if T.A. positions are available? Sorry so many questions!

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I think you probably should evaluate the varilous schools against your needs. As far as jobs in TA? Most public schools are laying off teachers. You might find something in a non-public school setting. You might call the school you are considering and ask the same things.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 PM

thanks for your reply do you think a graduate t.a. position might still be available? i heard if your school employs you as a graduate t.a. you get free tuition plus i think at least 6,000 stipend?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM

I have no idea. I have not been in college for many years. It is a question for the school, I think.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

thanks for your replies! I will definitely plan on calling these schools about these financial details. I also hope to find someone familiar with the programs who can give a more objective take on it or someone who is familiar with the art therapy scene in chicago

thanks again! your replies were v. helpful and greatly appreciated!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 PM

There are several art schools in Chicago. I would think you can find someone to answer your question here: art schools in chicago - Bing

Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 PM

thanks!! i will

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM

OK, I'm back... I am now curious about the Adler program for art therapy. I'm interested because it seems to prepare you for licensure as a counselor as well as an art therapist, whereas SAIC seems to focus strictly on obtaining an ATR license. I've been advised to focus on programs that encompass art therapy without it being its only focus, because it's difficult to find jobs for Masters level art therapists. However, I would still like enough training to obtain an ATR. Adler seems to prepare students for both ATR and LPC... it's also more affordable. However I'm concerned it's less reputable in the field of art therapy. Can anyone give me any information on how these two different tracks may impact job prospects?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago