Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 33,853 times

Advertisements

Hi....I am a senior in college and recently was offered an entry level position in Mettawa/LF area, close to 94, upon graduating. I was wondering if it is realistic if I were to live in the city with the commute? I have been told driving it is about an hour, and I can take the train but it is a little longer. I believe the company I am working for has a shuttle from the train to their office.

What neighborhoods do you recommend for recent college grads that aren't redic pricey? I am looking to shell out no more than 900 month, after utilities and everything, assuming I had a roommate. Are there any specific areas that are within walking distance of the train station, have parking, AND are close to the highway (in the event I want to drive some days/train others)?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM

20 posts, read 17,902 times
You do not want to make that drive from any part of the city on a regular basis.

What in the world is "redic?"

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

ridiculously. excuse my college-life abbreviations!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
The last person I heard using that word was Miley Cyrus.

My husband used to commute to the area you are looking at from downtown (we live a few miles away from the office now instead). He did take the train but he used to leave the house at 6.30am (and we were within walking distance of Union Station) to get to work in time and would often not be home before 6.30-7pm. That's a long work day.

Driving is a total disaster. When it snows you can be looking at upwards of 5 hours drive back to the city. If you are going to do it you should ditch the car and stick to the train. It would hopefully give you more of a budget for rent too. Join iGo or Zipcars for the occasions you really need a car.

With your price range you might want to look for something within walking distance to some of the Union Pacific North line Metra stations like Clybourn, Rogers Park or Ravenswood.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,746 times
Awful commute...I wouldn't do it. So is your job at CDW or HSBC?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I am too old for that kind of commuting...

...but I know a number of younger people that do it. Some of the tricks are that if you do drive you get a place that has off street parking / a garage. With the overbuilding of condos that is easier now than it has nee in a long time.

If you do make some friends at work you can do some impromptu car pooling, especially on days with bad weather -- if three or four of you come in together it looks better than each of you draggle-ly showing up...

The opportunity for nightlife and such is present 7 days a week in Lakeview, but realistically you probably will not stay out late more than maybe Thursday and be thankful for "casual Friday".

Living in Evanston won't save much time, costs more and offers less social variety.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
Driving will not take 5 hours even during bad weather. If your company has a shuttle, live near a METRA stop. Since your budget is around $900, I wouldn't recommend Near West Side toward Union Station. A good METRA stop on the Metra Union PAcific North line is Ravenswood. Close to nightlife in the city and convenient for a train commute.

You could drive some days. It would be about a little over an hour, with the traffic worse going back into the city.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,746 times
I did the same commute from southport/cornelia to Lake Forest for 2 years. It was the most miserable 2 years of my life. Good days it took 45 minutes, and on bad days with snow there was a 2:30hr+ commute a few times.

If you decide to do it, take surface streets as much as you can. Head north on western/ashland to peterson then take peterson west to 94. Or take Lincoln NW to peterson. On the way home I reversed the process or even got off further north at touhy depending on how bad the 94/90 junction was.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Default It's been done...

But I sure wouldn't do it! I have had a few friends do the reverse commute. They all burned out on it after a couple years and took other jobs just to stop the madness... I know none of them misses it. Personally, I think it's much easier to commute to the city for fun 1 or 2 times a week than it is to commute 5 days a week for work. But, to each their own.

I agree with the Clybourn and Ravenswood suggestions. With a roommate you shouldn't have much trouble finding a place in your budget within walking distance to one of those stations. Having a job where you can take the train for the reverse commute certainly makes it better than being forced to drive everyday. Perhaps if that had been an option for my reverse commuter friends they wouldn't have hated it quite so much.

The train may take longer than estimated drive times, but I'd be shocked if it really ended up taking longer. Plus, I would much rather be riding on a train where I'm able to zone out, read, sleep, go online, play a game, etc. than be behind the wheel forced to stay at least somewhat focused for all that time. Plus, for me, knowing there was a bathroom on board was always nice... nothing worse than having to go when you're stuck in traffic!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for your input everybody.

Also keep in mind that I am new to the area; I will not know anyone other than my co-workers, and my girlfriend and her family.
Also, Supposedly I will have the option to work from home 1-3 days a week, with the average being 2 days a week. So with that, and mixing up train / car commute, I think will be much more manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago