Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,493,363 times

Advertisements

I did a similar commute for 3 years, it wasn't enjoyable but its certainly doable. I was slightly closer to the city than you, in Lincolnshire, but I can still vouch for it being doable. Like others have said, its hard to predict and some days you can fly and get there in 40-50 minutes, others your going to get screwed into 2 hours. If the job is entry level, they will probably not tolerate you being late due to traffic so that part could be tricky.

If you can work from home 3 days a week, then its an easy game at that point, you can deal with it 2 days a week for sure. I may be an outlier though, a tough commute never bothered me that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
But I sure wouldn't do it! I have had a few friends do the reverse commute. They all burned out on it after a couple years and took other jobs just to stop the madness... I know none of them misses it. Personally, I think it's much easier to commute to the city for fun 1 or 2 times a week than it is to commute 5 days a week for work. But, to each their own.

I agree with the Clybourn and Ravenswood suggestions. With a roommate you shouldn't have much trouble finding a place in your budget within walking distance to one of those stations. Having a job where you can take the train for the reverse commute certainly makes it better than being forced to drive everyday. Perhaps if that had been an option for my reverse commuter friends they wouldn't have hated it quite so much.

The train may take longer than estimated drive times, but I'd be shocked if it really ended up taking longer. Plus, I would much rather be riding on a train where I'm able to zone out, read, sleep, go online, play a game, etc. than be behind the wheel forced to stay at least somewhat focused for all that time. Plus, for me, knowing there was a bathroom on board was always nice... nothing worse than having to go when you're stuck in traffic!
Commuting into the city for nightlife is terrible unless you live in a burb with CTA access. Otherwise its park at a METRA station then take METRA into the Loop then a cab or bus to wherever. Then do that at 2am on the reverse side. I would much rather do the commute into the burbs everyday on the train.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,126 times
5 hours was an isolated incident with an unexpected snowstorm blowing into town, but it did happen.

Expect minimum 2 hours though on the drive home, on a normal day.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Expect minimum 2 hours though on the drive home, on a normal day.
This is simply not true unless perhaps you lived in the loop. I drove from 94 and Townline rd(60) to Southport and Cornelia for 2 years. 2 hours was never the average drive, much closer to 1 hour. I could see two hours if someone stayed on the expressway all the way through the merge and into downtown.

But to the Lakeview area it's not 2 hours, still painful and miserable 5 days a week but not 2 hours painful.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 33,875 times
Thanks for the replies. With regards to housing, do you recommend that I look and hunt on my own, or contact a realtor since I am out of town?

Can I expect to pay 700-800 (with or without roommate) pre-utilities a month, with all of these amenities in LP or Wrigleyville?

Parking (Preferably covered)
On-Site Laundry
Walkable to train/very close to tollway

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and1playa2007 View Post
Thanks for the replies. With regards to housing, do you recommend that I look and hunt on my own, or contact a realtor since I am out of town?

Can I expect to pay 700-800 (with or without roommate) pre-utilities a month, with all of these amenities in LP or Wrigleyville?

Parking (Preferably covered)
On-Site Laundry
Walkable to train/very close to tollway

Thanks!
I'd just start at a site like apartments.com and search in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. The further north and west you are the better, so Lakeview around Irving and Ashland is a good area to start with. Still close enough to walk to most bars and a head start on your commute.

$1600 a month for a 2 bedroom is doable, $800 might get you into a studio but that won't include parking. You're going to get the most bang for your buck finding a room mate and doing a 2 bedroom unit.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
I strongly recommend ditching the car and taking the train to work. With the money you're saving by not paying for gas, insurance, maintenance, etc, buy an iPad with 3G (or something equivalent) and use it to pass the time during your train commute. Sign-up for a car-sharing service (zipcar or i-go) so you have access to a car when you need it (but aren't burdened with the expenses of full-time car ownership).

Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
I'd just start at a site like apartments.com and search in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. The further north and west you are the better, so Lakeview around Irving and Ashland is a good area to start with. Still close enough to walk to most bars and a head start on your commute.

$1600 a month for a 2 bedroom is doable, $800 might get you into a studio but that won't include parking. You're going to get the most bang for your buck finding a room mate and doing a 2 bedroom unit.
What about Lincoln Square, especially within walking distance of the brown line? Puts you farther NW.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What about Lincoln Square, especially within walking distance of the brown line? Puts you farther NW.
I love Lincoln Square, if I could afford a house with the space I want I'd live there is a heartbeat. I think it's an older crowd tough, perhaps 28+ whereas Lakeview/LP crowds are right out of college.

So it depends what the OP wants. Shorter commute or walk to lakeview bars. My 2nd place out of college was basically grace and ashland right, I just took ashland to peterson then over to 94. It was a happy medium for me as opposed to be much futher south and east in LP.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
$800 with parking in those neighborhoods is pretty much impossible unless you have roommates. Craigslist is without a doubt the best way to find apartments, but heads up; good ones can go very very fast.

And I would second that living in the suburbs and partying in the city on the weekends isn't really an ideal option unless you're not much of a drinker. The last train on the BNSF that I lived off of was just after midnight. If you're a real party animal you might be able to make it until the first train leaves in the morning though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago