Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I grew up going to Dennis' on Belmont (originally Galaxy Game Center #3) and Fun Zone, and believe me, both were shells of their former selves by 1995. Broken games galore, not rotating in new ones, etc.

The peak for video games came with Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc- it was a brand new and exciting phenomenon. there were Saturday morning cartoons based on these games, t-shirts, etc.

have you guys seen King of Kong? A must watch!
Hell yeah.

This song even made it into the top 10.

I completely agree that arcades were over and done by the late 80's. There may have been a few left struggling to hold on in the 90's, but they were nowhere near as popular as in the early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Quite possibly...
What was Lassers?
Lasser's was a soda pop company operating out of a little factory building on maybe the 2200 or 2300 block of north Sheffield. They had a ton of flavors, and gave free samples - a very handy place to periodically swing by on my walk home from school, I used to walk in right behind adults to give the allusion I was there with my parents.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Sam's doesn't even exist anymore, Binny's bought them all out a year or two ago.
Oh now that's sad! I was a big fan of that place.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
I grew up going to Dennis' on Belmont (originally Galaxy Game Center #3) and Fun Zone, and believe me, both were shells of their former selves by 1995. Broken games galore, not rotating in new ones, etc...
That may be true as I recall, but my point was they were still operating.

I preferred Chicago Game Company myself over Fun Zone. I bet you can guess what kinds of music I liked.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Was Wicker Park blighted with vacant lots and board ups...
No. But it was very scummy and dirty with trash everywhere and had a huge gang problem.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-21-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That may be true as I recall, but my point was they were still operating.

I preferred Chicago Game Company myself over Fun Zone. I bet you can guess what kinds of music I liked.
Understood they were operating - but the initial question had to do with their "heyday."

But refresh me on Chicago Game Company, I remember the name but not the location. Times Square on Broadway, whoo, now that was a hopping place. Not always with upstanding citizens, of course. There was another large and super-scummy place on State St, I recall.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
...But refresh me on Chicago Game Company, I remember the name but not the location...
It was on Western across the street from Lane Tech where the Fed Ex Office (Kinko's) is now. The building it was in was torn down.

It closed down (1995-6?) a few years before the Fun Zone did. I can't remember what year.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
Quote:
No. But it was very scummy and dirty with trash everywhere and had a huge gang problem.
+1, Wicker Park and Bucktown had HUGE gang and drug problems but didn't have the blight as parts of the South and West sides. It had a strong working class population. Wicker Park, Pulaski Park, and Eckhart Park(I know, that's Uk Village or whatever its called these days) were big time gang infested, mostly Latin Kings as I remember. Milwaukee Ave was dirty with low-end stores everywhere.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 30,535 times
Quote:
It was on Western across the street from Lane Tech where the Fed Ex Office (Kinko's) is now. The building it was in was torn down.

It closed down (1995-6?) a few years before the Fun Zone did. I can't remember what year.
I'm sorry this thread got sidejacked into a discussion on the old Chicago arcade scene. There is a building on Western and Berteau, actross from Sierra Auto(The old Oldsmobile Dealer), Western Automatic Music Inc. This old storefront has had arcade machines sitting in it for as long as I can remember. I vaguely remember being inside with my dad years upon years ago but who knows.

EDIT: Upon doing five min of research it looks like they rent machines out and probably use the building for storage. Kinda weird though I don't think many of the machines in the front have moved much.

But I digress, I do enjoy reading about Lincoln Park's past.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterDrive View Post
I'm sorry this thread got sidejacked into a discussion on the old Chicago arcade scene...
There actually is an arcade thread somewhere here started by an obvious culprit ...

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...s-chicago.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago