Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance if this thread sounds arrogant or self-absorbed in any way... but Chicago is a city that has intrigued me for many years. I've done a lot of research, but it's hard to really know until you describe who you are and what you're looking for... so, I'm going to describe myself and what I'm looking for, and I'm curious if Chicago is my type of city.

I'm a single male in my early 30s, a night person. I'm a sports fanatic -- particularly hockey at all levels -- and traditionally, that's how I meet people. I have a lot of allergies, particularly to cigarette smoke -- even an hour around smoke means weeks of infections and misery, so I have to avoid it at all costs.

I enjoy urban environments and high-energy cities, no question Chicago fits the bill. Socially, I'm pretty open-minded and liberal -- I enjoy diversity of all kinds. I'm not a traditional-minded person in many ways -- if I'm still single in 20 years, I am fine with that -- but I like places where people treat each other with respect.

Cost... well, I'm in California now (but not a native Californian, only been here a few years), so anything I've seen in Chicago is reasonable.

I am open to suburbs or city, but if it's a suburban location, I prefer a higher-energy, younger demographic type of suburb. For example, Evanston seems appealing to me, but I think I'd be bored in Aurora.

I'm not into clubs (too stuffy and artificial out here anyway), but I do like live music. I prefer a place I can sit in khakis and a sweatshirt, grab a drink, listen to some good rock or blues. I dress casual -- I'm not a suit or tie wearer unless it's absolutely required, and I'll stick to places where I can go where I feel comfortable. Are most Chicago bars/music venues casual -- would a nice Blackhawks sweatshirt (no Wirtz jokes now!) and khakis fit in if I wanted to go to a blues club?

Allergies.. I have many, and they're hard to avoid. I'm presuming a city location, near the lake, would be better than the suburbs? My worst outdoor allergens are grasses, some weeds, and molds. Trees are not so bad.

I'm a social person -- I meet people pretty easily -- but I also like my space. In other words, I'm uncomfortable when people invite themselves over for days, things like that. I've actually found some parts of the Midwest to be a little too "clingy" for my liking, but is Chicago different?

Thanks for listening, I look forward to any replies and discussion. Again, apologies if it seems this post is "all about me"... but I figured it's the best way to figure out if Chicago is "my kind of town" (ugh, sorry for the pun).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM

335 posts, read 1,436,046 times
chicago sounds like it would be great for you. dunno about the allergies though. one thing i didn't see on your list: what kind of weather do you like? what weather can you tolerate?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Well, Chicago is warmer than where I've spent a lot of my life. 40 below isn't fun, but it's what I grew up with during the winter months, and I'm okay with that. Chicago doesn't get that cold, but the windchill makes a difference, I am sure, as with most cities.

The summer humidity... I've dealt with that too, and although I'd rather it be a little cooler (90's where it starts to get pretty hot to me), I don't mind some hot, humid weather.

Allergies... yes, those are a concern anywhere. I did spend some time in Minneapolis -- miserable there for allergies. But it seemed I felt better when I'd visit Chicago... coincidence or not, I wonder....

Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Well, from one hockey fan to another, Id steer clear of here and the Blackhawks. LOLOL Im a huge hockey nut too (rather new to it I must admit), but our outlook, no matter what new acqusitions still looks dim for the next few years. The pickup of Toews, Kane and Samsonov look great, and our first 2 lines are rather stellar. Our D is also looking great, we just need a goalie thats worth a crap. 28 mil for Khabi was a bit extreme. Watching Lalime is every bit as convincing. Anyways, the Blackhawks are an Original 6 team, with a shrinking fan base, but the glory days will return, and when they do, youre in for one HECK of a ride my friend. I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Chicago, Im sure youll love it. Winters can be harsh, but overall are not bad. Summers can be pretty humid at times, but the majority of summer is perfect.

Allergies? There is a smoking ban in Chicago, that'll be good news for you Im sure. Im not sure why Chicago affects you different than in MN, maybe it was a fluke, Im sure theyve got the same crap in the air as we do. LOL

And dont always assume all of Chicago is cheap, there are spots that are probably every bit as expensive as California. Ever seen a 1 BR (800 sq ft) condo sell for 600K? There are some in Chicago. LOL Whats even funnier are the morons who buy them. LOL

Anyways, best of luck, Im sure youll love Chicago, as most people do.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
"Smoking ban" is relative. Bars have an exemption for now (including bar areas in sit-down restaurants) as the city and bars basically look for a way to make the exemption for them permanent. That may not last though as a state-wide ban goes into effect at the beginning of 2008, which I believe covers bars as well (dumb).

Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,717 times
It sounds like you'd enjoy it here. One of my best friends plays hockey with a group of friends every week at an ice arena near UIC, so that's a popular social thing here. There are plenty of casual bars, and the lakefront tends to blow allergy inducing pollens away.

The only thing I can think of that might remain a problem is that Chicago is not, unfortunately, smoke-free in its bars. It's likely to be soon, probably by 2008 when either Chicago or the state of Illinois passes a complete smoke ban, but that hasn't happened yet.

But in terms of social atmosphere and the style you seem to enjoy, I think you'd like Chicago.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 PM

161 posts, read 699,651 times
If you do move here, take a look at the Uptown area, I think you'd really like it. It's a quieter area, with young families (not an overwhelming amount, which is nice), only a mile or two from Wrigley Field (which is the center for sports and sports bars in Chicago), and it's one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. Uptown is also right along the water and Montrose Beach (the beach next to Uptown) is a very nice beach. Uptown is known for its blues and jazz clubs (particularly the Green Mill) and so the neighborhood's nightlife is there (not a plentiful amount, but if you want plentiful walk about a mile to Wrigleyville). Uptown has a very chill feel to it. Finally, one of the best qualities to Uptown is that it's a rather affordable, tree-lined neighborhood with plenty of ethnic restaurants. Chicago definitely sounds like a city for you and Uptown sounds like a place you'd really enjoy.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Default Uptown: A Closer Look

I dig Uptown so I don't want to discourage anyone who is up for it from moving there. But I just want to make sure the OP doesn't get an idea that Uptown is some kind of calm, quiet urban paradise. It's not.

First, let's determine what is meant by Uptown. Even though Uptown is a pretty big neighborhood, most people understand Uptown to mean the area within a three- or four-block radius of the intersection of Broadway and Lawrence Avenues. Most of the rest of "official" Uptown is colloquially known as Ravenswood. The following is my impression of the smaller, local understanding of "Uptown" since that is the portion that Libertine describes in the post above and I believe his post could stand some elaboration....

Uptown is very rapidly gentrifying, but there is still a good amount of low-income housing and low-income people (read: low-class and sometimes flat-out criminal people). As much as I appreciate diversity, in the case of Uptown, diversity means neo-yuppies and Starbucks-swilling Trixies rub elbows with a fair amount of 'hood trash, and not always amicably.

That said, Uptown has always been one of the most vibrant nightlife neighborhoods, even when it was also one of the North side's worst neighborhoods. Libertine mentions Green Mill, a legendary jazz club. He fails to mention that within a block of Green Mill is two of Chicago's most storied night clubs: Aragon and Riviera. Along with The Green Mill, these two venues long kept Uptown alive and vital through its darkest, most gang-ridden days by hosting international touring acts such as The Cult, The Pixies, Los Lobos, Cheap Trick, et cetera.

Libertine also suggests that the nightlife in Uptown is not plentiful. Strictly speaking, that is true. Uptown doesn't stack up to such places as Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Bucktown/Wicker Park, etc. Yet, it seems there is always a new club, bar or restaurant springing up in the Lawrence/Broadway corridor -- night clubs, martini bars, sushi restaurants, a comedy club, a fresh new Borders, and the like, all tucked into a neighborhood that, by all appearances, will continue to have a "rough edge" for quite some time.

So, Uptown... to recommend or not to recommend? Depends on how much urban adventure you're looking for. If you're after great nightlife options mixed with honest urban grit, you won't do any better than Uptown. God bless that place.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
We could use some more hockey fans again over here. With the way Wirtz has pounded the franchise into insignificance, you'd be the 4th fan in chicago (along with me, steveo, and my dad).

real sad, even as recently as 10 years ago the Hawks were decent and the stands were packed.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
I have severe allergies and I hate to tell you that I still am affected downtown. The stuff we\'re allergic to blows in out of the farmland to the west of the city and makes its way all the way to the lakefront, not to mention that the city has been planting hundreds of thousands of trees so the pollen levels are on the rise even around the loop area. All I can tell you is invest in a lot of Claritin D and you will be fine. I also found Allegra D to work very well for me where I don\'t even know I have allergies and my insurance pays for it! The good news for you is that as soon as the first snowfall falls people with outdoor allergies tend to see them subside. At least mine go away, but they return in about April. BOO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago