Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee1984 View Post
Unfortunately, I have raised 2 sons in fabulous upscale caucasion neighborhoods to find they would have preferred to see more kids that look like them. In some cases they were the total AA population. They were excluded from many social things eventhough my son was a top athlete at school. I dont want to make the same mistake with my 5th grader. There are AA areas I dont want to live in as well. I want to live in an area that represents who we are and value for my family. Your thoughts are valued.
Sorry to threadjack, but what did you think was going to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
caucasion
What's that?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
This makes a big difference. Your challenge is that the clusters of AA professionals aren't really west. Bolingbrook is actually a decent idea. Personally, I'd go for Oak Park, especially given all of your criteria together (convenient to O'Hare, very convenient to heart of city, good public schools, great homes, plenty of diversity, not unreasonable to Aurora two days a week). Nothing in the city will really meet your school constraint, and none of the other nicer western burbs will meet your diversity preferences.

Quote:
I wanted to let you know I only go to Aurora office twice a week. The airport weekly fly Mon-Thurs. I noticed a home in Bolingbrook. I love Oak Park. The maintenance of older homes is concern. Now that you know how often I drive to Aurora where would you suggest? I am surprised at the great feedback. You are so appreciated for your help. My hobby is ballroom dance and support of mission work in the inner cities so I want to have a comfortable drive to the city. Is there a train that could make it easy?
I have always lived in 95% caucasion married neighborhood because of sons. I would like to live in a diverse area with other professional single AAs, school, and safety for my son.

Thanks UUU!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 32,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Just move to Bronzeville or Hyde Park with the other pretentious black "executives" who enjoy their imaginary elitism. There is plenty of "activities" out there for you to enjoy your "Im-better-than-youness".
This is the exact *****rdly thinking that makes blacks who do have higher level incomes and positions not want to live in the average black-only neighborhoods. btw IM black and was born in, went through school and lived primarily in Chicago for most of my life.

I'm telling you, as a 2013 update to this thread and to give REAL TALK about "black chi-town" - if you want to have piece of mind and not have to deal with the perpetual ghetto-proud, clannish, gang-mentality that is prevalent even in stable black hourly wage earning to mid-50's salaried neighborhoods, you DEFINITELY want to consider Bronzeville, Hyde Park, MAYBE the Pill Hill and Chatham neighborhoods in the city proper and Flossmoor, Olympia Fields or even Orland Park or Tinley in the burbs. Bridgeport MAY be an option, but there is still a significant residue of racism against Blacks in some pockets and it's not worth the effort to have a nice house with some racist morons giving you the stinkeye when you walk to the park or store. I used to like the Beverly area a lot, but the houses are too old for my taste not to mention the ridiculously high property taxes overall. I'd give a very short look to Country Club Hills, but there is a lot of negro-drama within the city govt there, but they do have some newer, larger houses in developments and the folks there are city transplants that have a decent income and left the city to escape the ghetto-ish drama and get a new, larger house and lot as well.

No offense to my cultured and educated brothers and sisters who inhabit the city, but if you are black and have lived in the city proper for any substantial amount of time, you know EXACTLY what I mean.

Honestly as much as I love Chicago as being my home town, I would avoid it unless I had to move here for a job. It is a great place to visit for the attractions and tourism, but there are many more places where the people are much friendlier, there is less traffic and noise and you get more house and land for your money.

Last edited by truthbtold10; 02-27-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbtold10 View Post
I'm telling you, as a 2013 update to this thread and to give REAL TALK about "black chi-town" - if you want to have piece of mind and not have to deal with the perpetual ghetto-proud, clannish, gang-mentality that is prevalent even in stable black hourly wage earning to mid-50's salaried neighborhoods, you DEFINITELY want to consider Bronzeville, Hyde Park, MAYBE the Pill Hill and Chatham neighborhoods in the city proper and Flossmoor, Olympia Fields or even Orland Park or Tinley in the burbs. Bridgeport MAY be an option, but there is still a significant residue of racism against Blacks in some pockets and it's not worth the effort to have a nice house with some racist morons giving you the stinkeye when you walk to the park or store. I used to like the Beverly area a lot, but the houses are too old for my taste not to mention the ridiculously high property taxes overall. I'd give a very short look to Country Club Hills, but there is a lot of negro-drama within the city govt there, but they do have some newer, larger houses in developments and the folks there are city transplants that have a decent income and left the city to escape the ghetto-ish drama and get a new, larger house and lot as well.

No offense to my cultured and educated brothers and sisters who inhabit the city, but if you are black and have lived in the city proper for any substantial amount of time, you know EXACTLY what I mean.
I do know what you mean...

I would remove Chatham/Pill Hill from your list. They're just too close to the drama spilling over from the west. Expect a long, slow decline in those neighborhoods.
Forget Bridgeport, for the reasons you listed. They haven't changed.
I like old houses, so I consider Beverly an appropriate destination.
I would not look at CCH, because drama in the goverment usually means there is drama in the folks that elected that government...
Add Olympia Fields, Homewood and Flossmoor as good destinations as well. I heard good things about Matteson as well, but can't vouch for it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbtold10 View Post
Honestly as much as I love Chicago as being my home town, I would avoid it unless I had to move here for a job. It is a great place to visit for the attractions and tourism, but there are many more places where the people are much friendlier, there is less traffic and noise and you get more house and land for your money.
True dat.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM

50 posts, read 225,078 times
Comp agree!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
So true. To thrive in Chicago as a Black professional, you've got to love the urban sophisticated lifestyle or else it wouldn't be worth living here unless you have family connections.

If it wasn't for the Hyde Park, Bronzville and South Loop type of scene, I probably wouldn't like Chicago.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 02-27-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
So true. To thrive in Chicago as a Black professional, you've got to love the urban sophisticated lifestyle or else it wouldn't be worth living here unless you have family connections.

If it wasn't for the Hyde Park, Bronzville and South Loop type of scene, I probably wouldn't like Chicago.
Really, I do not like the "buppie" scene here as what those neighborhoods are like to me, but I do not like the ghetto scene either. I am from Detroit and had enough ghetto to last a lifetime. However, I am not into the urban lifestyle either. I only like the energy the of the city, and I am only here to collect money from my job.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
The couple of "high end" black financial types I know live in River North/Gold Coast.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Add Olympia Fields, Homewood and Flossmoor as good destinations as well. I heard good things about Matteson as well, but can't vouch for it personally.

True dat.
Well, I'm from Park Forest - the town next store. I grew up going to Matteson schools and riding my bicylce to my best friend who lived over there. I'm extremely familar with Matteson to this day. It's my "stomping grounds" as I've seen people on this forum say.

And I gotta say: If Matteson really is being recommended to a AA executives, that's quite depressing. Really? Matteson? If being surrounded by black people and not listening to gunshots at night is all you need to think a place is amazing then go for it.. But there's nothing high class about being from Matteson. It isn't really a place that executives of any race live.. Homewood, Flossmoor and Olympia Fields, yes. Matteson, no.

If the conversation was different, I actually would be recommending Matteson..

Last edited by urza216; 03-02-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago